Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cadburys Chocolate - recipe change - and not for the better?

• 29-05-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

I seriously think that Cadburys have changed their recipe or maybe changed the grade of some ingredients.. it tastes awful... not at all like it use to - to me anyway.. anyone else think so?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's been happening constantly since the Kraft takeover. Cost cutting and replacing cocoa solids with soya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I agree but it's been going on a while, it's getting progressively worse. Not worth buying anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Yellow snacks are disgusting now

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

They’re pretty much inedible. I could enjoy a piece of Aero or Lindt, but now if I take a piece of Dairy Milk, it stings the back of my teeth. That never happened under the old management. I so used to look forward to the Xmas Roses, but I just give them away now, or have my OH work away on them. They’re manky now :(

The new Darkmilk is alright though. Almost creamy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Yes, it seems that it has been declining in quality for a while but now it has reached its bottom for me..

I always have a supply of choc in the house - use to be Cadburys - but as of yesterday, Lindt will be going into my shopping basket!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I find chocolate that is wrapped in plastic ends up tasting like it. Some of the Aldi and Lidl stuff that comes in foil is the nicest around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭BobMc

Lessons to be learned by big Companies, quality declines, we as consumers stop buying. Take the roses at xmas, people see 3 tins (sorry plastic tubs) for tenner or whatever and buy them.

Walk away leave them on the shelf, when Dunnes or tesco start sending back pallets of unsold crap they cant shift they might get the message. But alas Quality costs money and for the most part consumers are easily lead by price point
    rather than ingredients and cost. Will it ever change ?

But back to OP, chocolate for the most part nowadays pure Muck !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mar2000

Sinus pain wrote: »
    Yellow snacks are disgusting now

I was pretty much addicted to yellow snacks but haven’t eaten them since the taste changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

sideswipe wrote: »
    I find chocolate that is wrapped in plastic ends up tasting like it. Some of the Aldi and Lidl stuff that comes in foil is the nicest around now.
    Moser Roth is Delicious!
    They do 5 little individual bars in tinfoil in a pack yum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Really can taste the salt in Cadburys now, which is normally added as a cheap substitute for flavour.

Overall, the flavour has gone from creamy to clawy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

They've also changed the hazelnuts in whole nut. So many bad ones. Kraft should have left things as they were at Cadbury. Marabou and Daim chocolate is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mar2000 wrote: »
    I was pretty much addicted to yellow snacks but haven’t eaten them since the taste changed.

Don't bother.
    New ones are a fcuking travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Love the Moser Roth and the Lidl brand too - can’t remember the name - they have an orange and almond dark one that’s nom, the Moser Roth mint is lovely as well. Really disappointed in the Cadbury roses now, pity cos used to love getting the tin at Christmas. I rarely buy Cadbury’s during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

So glad I stumbled on this thread. I bought a dairy milk bar last night and thought it was gone off. Almost a sour/plastic taste, I gave up on it after 2 squares. Rotten!!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Cadbury flake gone to sh*t as well. No difference now to the type of chocolate they sell in America. Hersheys, and twinkies, and all that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

so who owns Cadburys now? I heard it was Hersheys - or is that just in the States?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

sporina wrote: »
    so who owns Cadburys now? I heard it was Hersheys - or is that just in the States?

Mondelez took over Cadbury a few years back as far as I know.

L1011 wrote:
    It's been happening constantly since the Kraft takeover. Cost cutting and replacing cocoa solids with soya

Blaizes wrote:

Mondelez is kraft

tedpan wrote: »
    L1011 wrote:

Blaizes wrote:

Mondelez is kraft

You went to all that trouble cutting and pasting to tell me that 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Lidl or Aldi chocolate, even the cheap stuff, is nicer than Cadbury now. Lidl have a thin hazelnut praline bar on special at the moment - 59c for 100g bar and it's delicious :)

Of the christmas tubs, the only one I actually like any more is Quality Street, I genuinely wouldn't bother taking a tub of Roses if they were giving them away - they are just plain nasty.

• Advertisement

Blaizes wrote:
    Mondelez is kraft
    [/quote]

Blaizes wrote:

No, I didn't copy and paste anything lol

tedpan wrote: »
    Blaizes wrote:
    Mondelez is kraft

Blaizes wrote:

No, I didn't copy and paste anything lol[/quote]

No worries 😀

The sh1t cadbury made was only ever masquerading as chocolate.

Augeo wrote: »
    The sh1t cadbury made was only ever masquerading as chocolate.
    Funny was thinking about that earlier does anyone remember the ads on Telly for Cadbury’s dairy milk years back where they showed a bar and said every bar was made with a glass of Irish milk. I wonder was it it? Tasted better.

Blaizes wrote: »
    Funny was thinking about that earlier does anyone remember the ads on Telly for Cadbury’s dairy milk years back where they showed a bar and said every bar was made with a glass of Irish milk. I wonder was it it? Tasted better.

A glass and a half!

They never stated what size glass or what size bar, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I used to be a big cadbury eater, but ever since Kraft took it over its gone to the dogs, none of its chocolate is the same anymore.

What I used to love were the bars of dairy milk in the foil, much fresher. Even the Easter eggs taste horrible now.

A glass and a half!

They never stated what size glass or what size bar, though.

You're right glass and a half, better memory than me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I don't know what they've done to it but Cadburys chocolate doesn't melt half as well as it used to a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Since Mondelez took over Cadbury, everything is just stuffed with palm oil. It's all disgusting now. Agree with other posters saying that Aldi and Lidl chocolate is much nicer. The majority of it seems to still contain cocoa instead of palm oil.

• Advertisement

Blaizes wrote: »
    You're right glass and a half, better memory than me!

Actually wasn't it a glass and a half in every half pound?

Advertisement