Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Describe Ireland's Youth & Culture

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mike66

Close to Brtitish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think that it is like d gangs.

That walk?

It is hideous - watching too much TV i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 andimproved197

Nice Treaty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Just noticed this thread, and I'd say if anything we'd be closest to the Scottish, why was this not included in the poll!!!? Like republican USA?? :confused: is this a píss take.

Some words\things that spring to mind which are unique to and a part of Irish culture;

Bódhran
    Uilleann Pipes
    Coddle (Dublin)
    St Brigids Cross
    Colcannon
    St Patrick
    Shilelagh
    Poitín
    Guinness
    James Joyce - Dublin
    Patrick Kavanagh
    GAA
    Fionn Mc Cumhail
    Newgrange - not neccessarily unique in that there's loads of burial chambers around the world, this is on e of the most famous!

There's a hell of alot of other stuff that's part of our history and culture, some of it is intangible, such as our attitude, speech and demeanour, but it's there. We most definitely have our own culture, but every other culture also has some of ours as well as others in theirs also. That applies to us as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Murphys

Just noticed this thread, and I'd say the postings here are anti-Irish if anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

Shouldn't this be called describe Dublins Jackeen youth and culture.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder is it mere coincedence that several contributers to this thread are banned?

As for the propositition, Brit popular is the only sane choice as it reflects what the typical Irish youth soaks up from popular media.

Irish youth culture is an extension of same with a few olde-Irelande
    bits tacked on for old times sake.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Irish youth have no culture.

Just a mix of other popular cultures, ie UK & US.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

OH NOE, TEH CRAZEY PEEPAL ARE BACK!!!

THANKS BJJ, YUO WILL RESCUE US FROM TEH FREEMASON ANTI-CATHOLIC NASTY PEOPLE. TEHY WEAR TINFOIL UNDERWEAR AND CONTREOL OUR THOUGHTS!!!!! OLOLOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Graemo

Give it a couple of years and Irish Culture will be completely unrecogniseable from the arran sweater brigade of years gone by.(and not a moment too soon)
    Look at London, Paris, New York. Lots of different ethnic comunities inter mingling to create a new breed of Irish people. Hopefully the more tollerant and broad minded kind.
    Not to mention the women.
    Seen the ad??? 1/2 polish 1/2 bengaulie etc. Phfwaar.

• Advertisement

OOops!

I must have hit a little nerve,
    I've clearly insulted Dustaz and his great East Dublin Culture.

Or else he's just behaving very strangely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by mike65
    I wonder is it mere coincedence that several contributers to this thread are banned?

As for the propositition, Brit popular is the only sane choice as it reflects what the typical Irish youth soaks up from popular media.

Irish youth culture is an extension of same with a few olde-Irelande
    bits tacked on for old times sake.

Mike.

Clearly Mike is a spy!

Q?

Is it just me or is everyone who posts on this thread CRAZEY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

A band called 'In Flames' said it perfectly in the song 'ordinary story'......
    A world where fashion outshines morality.......
    Says it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 VETov

Good song:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

monty, seriously lock this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lameme

German

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Dustaz

I went to bed just before 2am last night, I was wondering when BJJ would be banned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Keep on Trekin
    Irish culture is dead, it's with O'Leary in the grave.

But for a while we've tried to market and sell what merit we had left to our forgotten Culture.

Gaelic Football during the summer.

Hurling please c'mon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Dustaz
    dis dam culdure agin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nit ERC

Originally posted by jd
    Hurling please c'mon

Don't forget the Shamrocks, leprechaun teddy bears and Shilelaighs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nit ERC

Wee kneed more culdure

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

“Irish culture is dead”

this is BS, as cultures don’t die they develop, expand and take in parts of other cultures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

I am really glad I found this post as I would like to make one brief point. well no one disjointed point. several disjointed points/

As was said be fore a culture cannot die. If there are Irish people there will be an Irish culture.

People who claim the Irish culture is dead are (now I know this is a generaliation, so try not to dwell on this too much) slightly foolish. They want to be spoon fed a culture, not have to discover it for themselves.

finally, culture consists of many different attributes such as opinions, attitudes and idea's. Irish opinions and attitudes and ideas are very much our own and set us apart from other nations.

So please dont claim that a culture is dead, especially if you hold an Irish passport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i gotta agree with previous posters saying that outside dublin is where our own culture can be found

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by Rolo Tomasi
    I am really glad I found this post as I would like to make one brief point. well no one disjointed point. several disjointed points/

As was said be fore a culture cannot die. If there are Irish people there will be an Irish culture.

People who claim the Irish culture is dead are (now I know this is a generaliation, so try not to dwell on this too much) slightly foolish. They want to be spoon fed a culture, not have to discover it for themselves.

finally, culture consists of many different attributes such as opinions, attitudes and idea's. Irish opinions and attitudes and ideas are very much our own and set us apart from other nations.

So please dont claim that a culture is dead, especially if you hold an Irish passport

I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Pigman wrote:
    Could we have a category 'impressionable beyond the point of being funny'?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 dubadub

Brit Pop. That's what I voted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 dubadub

Snowball wrote:
    I agree

mmmm 77,000 Irish people hold British passports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

id have to say irish youth are pretty unique. fair enough ya do get the cliques, but most people cop on to them and figure out their phoniness

i myself am 17, like listening to Christy Moore and the bit of trad which is ''uncool''. But it doesnt mean im not technologically challenged or stuck in the past. Personally i dont fit into any of those brackets, and where some of my friends may borrow aspects of some of them i cant think of any who exclusively fit into those categories. As far as i can see mos of the youth are laid back and open to a lot of different, new experiences etc. and willing to take the world with a pinch of salt and take nothing TOO seriously. Now if that isnt a very irish characteristic i dont know what is

Advertisement