Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Describe Ireland's Youth & Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

No, im not saying any of that. I was answering your question. Shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Christ this is pathetic!

BrianBenette you are cleary a troll and should have your arse kicked for it. Anyone who has to mention 'If canada is the 51st state etc' in EVERY post just to justify their own opinions is full of ****.

Besides, the whole thread has nothing to do with culture anyway. Falco defines German culture? Russia is defined by having 'rural communities'? How unique of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Keep on Trekin

Irish culture is dead, it's with O'Leary in the grave.

But for a while we've tried to market and sell what merit we had left to our forgotten Culture.

The are still elemets in Irish Culture alive Today. E.g the Craft work and Celtic Art from the Aran Islands.
    The old Dubliners great pub songs.
    Gaelic Football during the summer.
    The Irish language in Conemara.

But Irish people today strive to be British, most of our culture has fadded away.

The Irish ballads, Aran Wooly Jumpers, Irish Dancing....Even the Tourists don't buy that stuff anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Keep on Trekin

It seems to me that Russia was defined by:

Trotsky, Vodka, Kuznetsov, Musorgsky, Russian Ballad Music, Rural Communities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭JacquesPompidou

Great Points and a good Debate, keep them posts coming!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

erm time to climb out of your cave and discover that people speak Irish in other places besides conemara you blithering fool.

Have you visited an IRISH PUB IN DUBLIN NAMED Conradh Na Gaeilge? (I'm not even sure about this but have visited myself, forget the name of the place) oh look there's even culture on the int0Rw3B here

If you don't know about Irish culture etc, then you had better go and educate yourself and take a walk around Dublin, see many of the famous statues, visit a museum or art gallery and go to a poetry reading and attend a cheili or go to a pub where Irish music is played.
    Shut Up.

Have you visited an IRISH PUB IN DUBLIN NAMED Conradh Na Gaeilge?

Yes I have. I liked it evry much.

I heard from my Irish workmates that out of the hundreds of pubs in Dublin there are only 5 pubs that Speak Irish & play Irish music every weekend.

Was this an exaggeration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

There is no such thing anymore as "an irish culture" as we have evolved into an universal nation (europeans, africans, asians, americans and so on). Taking slices of each foreign cuisine and adding a dash of celtic mannerisms.

So for that reason why do we still teach the kidz irish in Sk00L, when it has no bloody use in everyday life. Personally i love irish but its a dead language and we could put a larger emphasis on something we may actually use such as german, french, computer skills or even english which will be ten times more useful in the longrun. Even Tg4 shows more programmes in english than the tongue it was set up to encourage so what does that tell you.

As Frank Mccourt would say "i wouldnt give them the steam off my piss", this has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread so i am gonna go over now.

Curry Pot Noodle's rock!!!!!!

nah spicy tomato is clearly the tastier option.

I should hope that was an exaggeration.

There's more to Ireland than Irish in the pub? Isn't there!*

NeeD BackuP On ThiS OnE! *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Irish culture is what's going on now as embedded within a historical context. Unfortunately, too much of Irish culture is Dublin culture, and Celtic Tiger culture, which tends to write out the whole history part. Unfortunately we can't get to the future fast enough and it's doing damage. And when someone says that Irish culture is selling all over the world today, that's exactly the problem. Irish culture is being forsaken for things that are exaggerated and falsified for the sake of marketing.

We have to take a long, hard look at ourselves. Perhaps this thread could be moved to Humanities?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Caesar_Bojangle made a good point. Culture, Irish culture, even British culture, is becoming integrated into the Global culture(IMO has far too many American features)

Irish Culture didnt die, just changed. Culture can change. It already has from what it was 100 years ago. Watch this space in another 100 years. Despite having absorbed a large portion of foreign sports, languages and literature, customs etc. this Island has kept its culture intact incredibly, despite several invasions by Vikings and such. The Irish language, even if it isnt widely spoken, is still alive. Irish traditions have survived through Anglo persecution, and even through Irish neglect.

The point I try to make is, Irish Culture is still alive. Will still be alive in 100 years. Yes, no doubt, we will adopt different things, but in the end, as History has shown, Irish Culture is still alive, if somewhat Mutilated.

I cant say that any of the above descriptions are anything like the Ireland I know, I didnt vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

In the Next 20 years , Ireland will adopt more British Music and Sports and Newspaper before it adopts any other countires Culture.

WOW!

You have psychic powers too?

You are a constant source of surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

If it wasn't for the European transition, Dublin would have rejoined the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by JarJar blinks

Shouldn't you be over on one of the mullagh regional boards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Originally posted by JarJar blinks

Well, I surely would miss Dublin, but I am confident that the rest of Ireland would have coped without the Pale. Are you on some new fangled drug? Your not from the Republic of Ireland are you?

Can you please expand upon your prophetic statement please, as then when you try to make sense of it, you'll realise what an utterly ridicolous statement it is.

Dont do Drugs, stay in School.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by TetsuoHashimoto
    In the Next 20 years , Ireland will adopt more British Music and Sports and Newspaper before it adopts any other countires Culture.

Here, why dont you come down to croker some day and me and the other 79,000 people that turn out regularly to watch irish men playing irish sports can have a word in your bitter little ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Kim Tae-Woo

I think the Irish culture is very similar to Canadian culture.

True, Ireland has lots of elements in its lifestyle that are very similar to England’s.
    But to understand Irish culture, one must look at Ireland’s geographic location and the history of Ireland.
    Thousands of years ago Ireland, France, Spain and England were all nations with old Celtic tribes. When the Roman Empire grew they expanded into France & England and the island of Ireland became isolated. Saxon and Norman tribes also entered England changing the life, structure and language of the country.
    Like Korea was conquered by Japan, Ireland was also conquered by England many many times since the 13th century. This close proximity to England and these numerous battles changed Ireland and Ireland became diluted and the Irish language disappeared.
    Unlike Korea, Ireland has a longer history of trade and war with England.
    Canada is an English speaking nation, but they have many people that want to preserve their Native Canadian and unique culture & sports.

Many elements of Irish culture have almost disappeared completely. Such as Irish dance and the Gaelic language. This makes Ireland seem similar to England.
    But there are also many elements of Irish Culture that still exist, such as Irish music, Gaelic football, and Irish poetry. These things give Ireland it’s own unique culture and They will stay in Ireland for a long time to come.
    Well I hope they stay.

For me Ireland , seems closer to Canada than England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 pika

I think they are just trying to get a reaction out of you the fact is that Ireland is not living in the past and we are up with the times. But some countries still think we go around on horse drawen carrages and little leprauchaun popping out everywhere. Look around you, are all the girls red haired? For Mr Canada we dont think of you been all slow and have Mounties every where? So why think of us with diddly di music and Guinness?
    As I have found on recient trips to canada they are about 2 years behind us fashion wise, as in them x-worx type baggy jeans that weee here in the early 90's were "fashionable" there in 98?? We are a young culture, which is highly educated and due to this the country has changed considerably in the last 20 years, for us to improve we have to look forward not backward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭festivala

Bad Point: Irish people have no culture whatsoever except for a few people in Kerry, Donegal,Conemara still having the ability to speak the Native language, playing Reels , Hornpipes, or able to dance. Irish culture & customs are dead.
    Irish culture today is either American or British, but mainly British.

I agree with the Irish culture is British bit but all that 'dancing at the crossroads' stuff is NOT our culture. It's a part of it. And to a large extent, it's an invented culture.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dustaz

Here, why dont you come down to croker some day and me and the other 79,000 people that turn out regularly to watch irish men playing irish sports can have a word in your bitter little ear.

Even better still why doesn't he go check out the world culture festival that will be taking place all weekend from Friday through Sunday next in Dun Laoire so that he may open his mind and see other possibilities apart from the run of the mill crap he's allowed himself to become exposed to during his stay of judgement here. Might allow him to explore other possibilities/idea's which may yet be incorporated into our culture along with the rest of it in 100 years time or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

as in them x-worx type baggy jeans that weee here in the early 90's were "fashionable" there in 98??

Ha, remember them and dont forget eclipse, thank god i wasnt part of that trend. It sure went out of fashion fast, less then two weeks if my memory serves me right. Dont forget the puffy bubble jackets, once again thank god i wasnt part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

One of the biggest reasons why Ireland's culture seems to be semi-english/american is the common language (near-enough) between these countries and what has to be admitted as a huge cultural influence these countries hold. The mediterranean countries wouldn't be so confident in their connection to the older cultures if they didn't have the protection of a seperate mother language to keep everyone grounded and fairly isolated from the worst of global culture.

It still gets through in the form of fashion, secondary languages and music; but not as quick as it might do if English was the native language. At the end of the day people watch crap english soaps because they are much better than the crap irish soaps also written in english. Irish people watch soccer in england in the same way most scandavian countries do, because its a whole lot better than the national leagues.. all the best players from these countries move to the premiership.

"This close proximity to England and these numerous battles changed Ireland and Ireland became diluted and the Irish language disappeared."
    To follow on from that, when Ireland started to attempt to reassert itself and define itself with uprisings and moves to become its own country again, everyone needed to cling to a sense of Irishness. What came from this is that the most Irish you could become was to be Anti-English. Similarly the English wanted nothing to do with the lowly Irish. So between themselves Ireland started to mark out a definition of Irish culture. Ireland was the place of "merry" people, England was the place of "serious" people. Irish people liked to laugh and joke and be very outward going. English people reserved an upper lip and strict protocols defined social interaction. Irish people are drunkards, And so on. Irish people started to look into a distant celtic past that in reality wasn't half as strong as people pretended it was, even a hundred years ago. Basically the Irish fulfilled the steriotypes that put them at the opposite scales from the english; helped along with this faint "celtic" theme.

I think people have realised this diddli aye, leaprehauns falling out of the sky marlarky is shallow, and it seems to have nasty connections with violence in alot of cases. Our parents generation was the last generation of people who would listen to Irish music as their culture, these days, like everyone else in the world, we listen to global music from anywhere. You can stand up and badly sing a rebel song, which if it weren't for the words would be a fine song, in lots of pubs in Ireland and get a huge cheer for nothing. You can't play a game of Gaa these days, a game which is fairly exciting to watch (good use of physical, mind, arms and hands) and play, without knowing some the spectators around you are there through patriotism more than an interest in the game itself. You're not Irish enough if you haven't killed a British solider in some very hardcore "Irish" people's eyes. You also know that the other half the country that doesn't play Gaa thinks its a bog trotters game only fit for Ra types and potato pickers. Both halfs sneer at each other, one for supporting soccer and being wannabe english-men, the other for being too-irish and too backward.

Dublin has been seperate from the rest of Ireland for long time, but it was always as Irish as anywhere, just different. I think the un-Irish feel has come in alot recently with the economic prosperty. We've gone from a bankrupt country to one thats almost cut all its debts and many people are earning alot more than they used to. Anyone who's making loads of money is most likely to be doing it in Dublin - hardly suprising being the only decent sized city in the republic of Ireland. All this new wealth has re-opened the class differences. Only this time the old Palesmen are gone and in its place there are the immatators. Cue the D4 accent. Another thing that has to be noted is the amount of people putting on a knacker accent as well. People are aligning themselves under one class steriotype or the other.

So old Ireland is backward, England is considered much more cultured and enviable by the rich, with the middle class following, everyone speaks English near enough, most of Dublin can't get away from the notion of old Irishness quick enough - never mind the whoring of it to foreigners.. and slowly ever so slowly we are no longer defining ourselves by our anti-englishness. What does it mean to be Irish these days?

FVcked if I know anymore.

To anyone not from this country coming looking for some "Celtic Irish" culture, it was dead many many years ago. The one you heard about was sold to you like it was sold to the Irish themselves many years ago. Ireland can be place of two halves. In one half you get a culture that can't become merged into the global culture quick enough (assimilated), on the other half you get those that cling onto a distant dead past. Hopefully we will see both sides merging a bit more, with all baggage dropped. For me the best "Irish nights" I ever have is singing with the (extended) family at family outings and going to music venues with live local musicians playing contemporary tunes. To hell with other peoples though of what Irishness is, I'm fed up with it, I think I'll choose mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Brian Bennette

None

Quote:

to a large extent, it's an invented culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 thee griffon

Sunderland/Liverpool/Man Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Brian Bennette

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Have any of the people who say Ireland has no culture travelled at all?

If you have, have you noticed differences?

Why do you think this is?

Could it be that (dare I say it) we have a unique culture of our own?

I have lived in England for going on 3 years now and the people and
    culture of England are very different to that of Ireland in so many ways.

I have also visited and lived in a couple of other counters and can honestly
    Say that I experienced a different culture then my own (Irish by the way) in each of them.

People who live in Dublin may become more cosmopolitan but still not to the extent
    of people who live in the larger city’s in the world.

One final point, if you don’t fell that there is any Irish culture why post on BOARDS.IE a very obviously Irish bulletin board,
    when there are so many like it
    On the World Wide Web that are not as obviously Irish?

Is it because you feel a link with your fellow posters?

Why do you think that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Sarcastic, cynical(in good, funny ways)
    Good craic
    Bitterness on the up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Unique!

Advertisement