Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer Employment

Options
  • 04-04-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can give advice.

Luckily, I've been able to find employment on a Part-Time basis this year from September. Even though it has only been approx. 13 hours a week, plus some subbing if I'm lucky, I am 100% aware of how lucky I am to be able to get this work.

As we come up to the final term, and with it uncertainty of any hours or indeed work anywhere come September, I am beginning to cast an eye onto June, and when I will have no income for quite some time. As I'm on Part-Time hours, I won't be able to claim any benefit. As such, I am trying to think of areas for Summer work that may want teachers. I applied for correcting the exams, however this week I received a vague letter from the SEC stating that I am on some reserve panel (anyone else get this?), and closer to the time I will ask the Exam Co-ordinator in the school about reading/scribing...but other than that, has anyone any suggestions on where teachers may find themselves valuable during the Summer months?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Could you TEFL?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

TEFL is something I'd like to do alright, as I'm an English teacher, however I don't have the CELTA qualification that is needed to do this.

I often see TEFL courses offered that aren't run by CELTA/ACELS and so have just avoided them as they just look gimmicky.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you are an English teacher that may well be enough for many places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭teacherhead

I know plenty of teachers who aan pots and pans and pull pints for the summer and at weekends during the school year.

It's what our profession has become sadly. And it's not only the nqts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I got that vague letter too Chases. Had to reread it a few times . It's letting us down without telling us they are letting is down. Could have been more straightforward in their wording. Lots of people get called from reserve so you never know .

• Advertisement

A friend of mine worked for Trinity a few years ago on their course for English teachers from Europe. There are language courses run all summer all over Europe for language teachers and grants provided by the EU. Might be worth contacting the various universities to see if they run such courses as you would probably be in with a shot as an English teacher. They normally do language classes in the morning and cultural activities in the afternoons. Would also look good on your CV!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I got that vague letter too Chases. Had to reread it a few times . It's letting us down without telling us they are letting is down. Could have been more straightforward in their wording. Lots of people get called from reserve so you never know .

Some people do get called from reserve. That's how I started correcting and once I was in the first year I was called back automatically every other year. You have a better chance with some subjects than others, i.e. those with a large number of correctors (core subjects) will have a larger number of correctors dropping out at the last minute.

Don't see what's so complicated about the letter. It says you are on the reserve panel and may get called if a place comes up.

As for the OP, maybe you could do TEFL as others have suggested or if there are any summer camps on in your area that need people you could work there, or failing that go with the traditional summer jobs: supermarkets, restaurants, bars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Have you actually received this letter ? It does not state the words you are on a reserve panel . Your comment was really unnecessary .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Have you actually received this letter ? It does not state the words you are on a reserve panel . Your comment was really unnecessary .

I have in the past. I don't see why it's not straightforward. You didn't get selected but are put on a reserve panel, that's the way it has always worked. So you can take that in any way you want. You are on reserve and might get offered correcting or you might not. It's up to you whether you choose to hold out for it.

Why don't you quote the letter so we can all comment on it properly? God forbid my comments might be unnecessary.

Advertisement