Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Read this thread. Only 1 word springs to mind...."sh!te". ..where can I hide this this is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Hope the storm surge doesn't cause too much damage Monday night especially Galway and Limerick.

Galway

xOmJggy.png

What's the bets we'll still see a bunch of cars floating around the prom car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Can we PLEASE have a separate threat for technical discussions regarding this storm. The gobsh*tery has already started and it will very quickly go the way of the last storm thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Can we PLEASE have a separate threat for technical discussions regarding this storm. The gobsh*tery has already started and it will very quickly go the way of the last storm thread.

I just can't wait for the "I've a flight landing at 9 pm Monday, how will the weather be then" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

GoneHome wrote: »
    I just can't wait for the "I've a flight landing at 9 pm Monday, how will the weather be then" :rolleyes:

And the I've then to drive to Offaly what will the roads be like, will I be able to stop for a latte. Should I secure the wheelie bins. 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oh that's not it, you get all sorts but without fail! Some of the best include

*"Nothing here, non event" posted just before the warnings start.

*"When will this hit Dublin?" - posted following that very question being answered several times in the last few pages

*"Should I drive from X place to X place at X time"

And without a doubt, Met Éireann will have either underhyped or overhyped this event, and all weather misinformation generated by the pi*s poor excuse of media we have nowadays will be of course, their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Separate chat/technical threads are great for events, but bear in mind they are a huge workload for mods to enforce. They have worked in the past, but only with constant monitoring and cleaning up/moving posts. As much as I'd like separate threads for this event too, I think they're only really necessary for major events.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Oh that's not it, you get all sorts but without fail! Some of the best include

*"Nothing here, non event" posted just before the warnings start.

*"When will this hit Dublin?" - posted following that very question being answered several times in the last few pages

*"Should I drive from X place to X place at X time"

And without a doubt, Met Éireann will have either underhyped or overhyped this event, and all weather misinformation generated by the pi*s poor excuse of media we have nowadays will be of course, their fault.

In fairness a lot of those type of posts are people taking the piss/ trolling more so than genuine comments.

In fairness a lot of those type of posts are people taking the piss or trolling more so than genuine comments.

Are they? Unless I've really missed the sarcasm the vast majority are genuine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Are they? Unless I've really missed the sarcasm the vast majority are genuine!

IMO 25 to 30 percent of them are not genuine comments. But that`s just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Rougies wrote: »
    Separate chat/technical threads are great for events, but bear in mind they are a huge workload for mods to enforce. They have worked in the past, but only with constant monitoring and cleaning up/moving posts. As much as I'd like separate threads for this event too, I think they're only really necessary for major events.

Never thought of it like that! I hope all the dribble (mine included) doesn’t keep the regulars away, they seem to have gotten very quiet last storm and were really missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

In fairness a lot of those type of posts are people taking the piss/ trolling more so than genuine comments.

Can that not just be put in the op and anyone that wishes to follow through just gets banned would make it easy on the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Timing has changed; earlier start than they warned yesterday.

Glad of good advice on that. .

West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

This is going to confuse alot in Munster!

aisling86 wrote: »
    This is going to confuse alot in Munster!

Pretty standard, Infact the norm to have overlapping warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This is the latest analysis from the past hour. The low is currently right over New Foundland and about 1005 hPa. In 18 hours it's forecast to be 968 hPa in mid-Atlantic, a drop of about 37 hPa, and 954 hPa in 24 hours, a total drop of about 50 hPa. For that latitude (~50 N) the definition of rapid ("bomb") cyclogenisis is a deepening of just 21.3 hPa/24 hours*, so this will do more than double that.

The centre's track just north of due east means it will keep out at sea as it occludes, halting somewhere SE of Iceland as a sub-940 hPa low on Tuesday. Quite a beast, but not far east enough to cause us maximum damage, unlike 1839.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020011200_000.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2020011118_024.png

* It depends on latitude and is calculated as 24×[Sin(latitude)/Sin(60)]).

Graces7 wrote: »
    Timing has changed; earlier start than they warned yesterday.

Glad of good advice on that. .

How are you fixed out there in the West coast, Grace, all provisions in?

Thank you and yes indeed... My groceries arrived on Thursday, and even if they hadn't I can last two months with what I have in. Would get boring but there we are... so no real problems here.

Weather out here is a way of life. Dictates what we do in an interesting way. lol...

So today Sunday an interval of peace.

All OK With thee?
    How are you fixed out there in the West coast, Grace, all provisions in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Guffy

Will this stay orange or is there a chance it will be upgraded again?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you and yes indeed... My groceries arrived on Thursday, and even if they hadn't I can last two months with what I have in. Would get boring but there we are... so no real problems here.

Weather out here is a way of life. Dictates what we do in an interesting way. lol...

So today Sunday an interval of peace.

All OK With thee?

Looking bleak here for Monday, and I've an early start to go to the city for work (45 min drive), will reasses tomorrow and if it's looking too dodgy will take the day off

• Advertisement

Guffy wrote: »
    Will this stay orange or is there a chance it will be upgraded again?

I would think the fact that it's at Orange two days out, could be telling that it will be upgraded going by current charts

Deedsie wrote: »
    Some are genuine but thw majority are just looking for a reaction. Also boards.ie has an ignore feature.

I find the complaining about the troll comments almost as derailingas the actual trolls.

Monkey say monkey do?

To be fair, the conversation in this thread has been fairly light-hearted on the matter.

Good morning!

Windy here; marine forecast...seems to be gales in every direction..

Have to rescue the sack of coal from half way down the drive today....and bring turf in from the north facing gable end...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Expecting Brendan to rate a 40-45 score on that storm index, peak gusts will probably exceed 70 knots at some west coast locations, and 55 knots possibly 60 may be reached on east coast as windy occluded front passes.

Current location appears to be 48N 35W and rapidly deepening around 995 mbs now (was 998 at 0600h).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

UPDATED YELLOW WARNING

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Munster, Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Roscommon

As Storm Brendan tracks to the northwest of Ireland, southerly winds veering southwesterly will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts of 90 to 110 km/h, highest in coastal areas.

There is a risk of coastal flooding due to the combination of high spring tides and storm surge.

Valid: 07:00 Monday 13/01/2020 to 23:59 Monday 13/01/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Expecting Brendan to rate a 40-45 score on that storm index, peak gusts will probably exceed 70 knots at some west coast locations, and 55 knots possibly 60 may be reached on east coast as windy occluded front passes.

Current location appears to be 48N 35W and rapidly deepening around 995 mbs now (was 998 at 0600h).

I make it 48N 48W, the 997 hPa low just east of New Foundland at 06Z? Regardless, it's going to drop like a stone now.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020011206_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Why have met eireann two different warnings in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Why have met eireann two different warnings in place?

Applies to two different regions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

kippy wrote: »
    Applies to two different regions?

And different time periods

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: please observe Mod note in OP .

Mod Note: This is expected to become a busy thread. Stay on topic to the discussion of Storm Brendan. Please use appropriate threads for all other discussion. Off topic posts will be removed. Any attempts to derail thread will be met with appropriate action. Your cooperation is required for the benefit of all.

Advertisement