Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Couple of decent photos and a decent profile.Then wait for the rejections and ignored messages to flood in.
    :pac:
    Larianne wrote: »
    IO, stick a few photos up - 3 is good.

Then write a few things about yourself - what you're at, your interests. Expand on them a little bit each. As in, if you like music write what type, the bands you like and if you like going to gigs etc.

Also, try to have a bit of humour in your profile if possible. And maybe at the end, what type of person you're hoping to meet on the site.

If you have an interesting hobby or make an interesting statement it allows the ladies to compose a question to ask you. But each to their own of course. :)
    awec wrote: »
    I agree with this Larianne. Even though I'm a guy I think the idea is the same the other way around.

If a girl makes me smile / chuckle / laugh from just reading her profile then that's great!

I look to see what I can talk to them about, so the more that's there the better!

Cheers, all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Larianne wrote: »
    Well now, I don't like to read essays. But I think 5-6 short paragraphs to read is enough.
    5-6 short paragraphs?.... It's like the bible on my page! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Yes, you've got the 18 year old. He'll have lots of energy and exciting dreams.
    Im 35 but yeah it would be exciting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

finipops wrote: »
    5-6 short paragraphs?.... It's like the bible on my page! :D

:eek:
    Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.

You must have an interesting page! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

If the bible was realeased today fundementalist cristians would have it banned.

Got messages of two very attractive girls yesterday which I responded to, I hate waiting on replys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

@KamiKazeKitten
    Not really but i have a decent amount. I did put an effort into it. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bullet bitten. I'll be back with stories. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hello.... Hot girl with great profile and likes football... I look forward to getting ignored when I send her a message. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Saw another profile looking for a "sperm donor" saying "Donation either the old fashioned way, just a basic shag or into a cup and give it to me."

Well its certinly cheeper than a sperm clinic but it is a bloddy weird way to find a father for your kid.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Was going through a couple of profiles there and one girl said she was very passionate about photography.

Her profile picture was so out of focus. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭amacca

That_Guy wrote: »
    Was going through a couple of profiles there and one girl said she was very passionate about photography.

amateur! :D......you've got to give her the benefit of the doubt........its not out of focus, its artistic...

no doubt the shot was taken with a pinhole camera she fashioned herself from a fallen yew branch and some leaves or something

awec wrote: »
    I set up a POF there, and within 5 minutes I have a "wants to meet you".

Are these things a waste of time then and not to be taken seriously?

If they wanted to meet you they'd message you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If they wanted to meet you they'd message you.

I dunno. I would say it can be similar to winks where the person will 'wink' at you etc. so then you make your move.

In saying that, I've clicked either the No or Maybe option on POF. My profile is hidden and I got a message from a dude that I clicked maybe on, so that could be a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,266 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I get alot of these Meet Me requests on POF, at first i would mail them but never got a response so i just ignore them now. Plus on POF its hard to be sure if they have viewed your profile as they can do it without you knowing it.

Anyone seen the latest event on POF.
    Singles event – Sunday afternoon Walk - Powerscourt Waterfall - April 15th. I thinking of organising a singles event, but instead of a night out on the town, it would be a one and a half hour walk in the Wicklow mountains, from the car-park at Crone to the Powerscourt Waterfall, and back again.
    The date I have in mind is April 15th, and I suppose 1:30 would be a good time to meet at the car park.
    More details of this event will follow, if there is sufficient interest.
    For now, I'm just trying to get an idea if people would be interested in an event like this.
    P

Sounds like a pilgrimage for singles. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Anyone seen the latest event on POF.

Sounds like a pilgrimage for singles. :pac:

Sounds like someone trying to organise a dogging event :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

:eek:

You must have an interesting page! ;)

Wow, that was some damn effective bible sourcing!

Maybe she was asking the question "why do we focus?"

I've a pro photography chum who accidentally had a load of shots out of focus, and then titled the collection "why do we focus?" and began questioning this and that in an artistic manner. Chancer. :)

Also, these days it's harder to get a camera to be out of focus than focused, so maybe she's showing off how hardcore she is. Ask her for a shot of her depth o' field woh woh?!?

... and that's me getting my coat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think the initial surprise at being mailed on POF within 5 minutes of joining has turned out to be a dead-end. The girl in question is somewhat evasive and has no pic and her body type is listed as "rather not say". That always conjures up good images :confused:

She gave me her number without me even asking and when I asked for a pic, she didn't reply. She also seems a bit highly strung and when I made a joke, she over-reacted.

It reminds me a little of this girl I got talking to on there about a year or so ago. We chatted on MSN and I asked if she had a pic and her exact words were "No, and you aren't getting one either". I rapidly lost interest at that stage and she started to go off on one a bit and was like "you're not interested are you, you're not even making any effort".

I don't know if it's the same girl but I'm not pursuing it. I deleted her mail that had the number and didn't make a note of it. I think someone that cagey and who rings that many alarm bells up front should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

The mystery girls are a tricky bunch. Sometimes they're men/elderly women, other times they're unbelievably attractive and don't want to be judged on their looks. You really have to roll the dice on that one and base everything on personality.

... though if it gets to a point where ye're hitting it off and she still won't send a photo, oh... DANGER DANGER :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Galvasean wrote: »
    I have come to the opinion that women on these sites are only contacting me to pass the time. Nobody seems willing to 'take the next step' ie: organize an actual date these days. It's all message for a few days, followed by scarpering at the idea of meeting up.
    It just seems hard to find people that want to date (irony of ironies). Anyone else in a similar boat?

Maybe wait a week or two before suggestion meeting up. A guy cancelled date with me recently and haven't heard from him again so I know where your coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Elessar wrote: »
    Met my first ever girl from a dating site last week. From POF, we were texting a few weeks. She's cute and interesting and we both had a good time. From texting since though I feel as tho it's gone strange, maybe its just me. Like earlier I text her to ask her how her day was and she replied but never asked the same. Then I text to say I'd ring her later, she said ok but she has work later, I did, no answer and no text at all since. She did say she was going to work but I rang a good 40 mins before that. From past experience she doesn't seem to like texting when she's out...

Maybe I'm looking too much into it?

She was probably getting ready for work or traveling to work. A 10 min conversation might have made here late. Also, I don't text when out. IMO It's extremely bad manners to text when in company. I suggest you contact her at more appropiate times. Just ask her out again and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

G-Money wrote: »
    I think the initial surprise at being mailed on POF within 5 minutes of joining has turned out to be a dead-end. The girl in question is somewhat evasive and has no pic and her body type is listed as "rather not say". That always conjures up good images :confused:

She gave me her number with me even asking and when I asked for a pic, she didn't reply. She also seems a bit highly strung and when I made a joke, she over-reacted.

It reminds me a little of this girl I got talking to on there about a year or so ago. We chatted on MSN and I asked if she had a pic and her exact words were "No, and you aren't getting one either". I rapidly lost interest at that stage and she started to go off on one a bit and was like "you're not interested are you, you're not even making any effort".

I don't know if it's the same girl but I'm not pursuing it. I deleted her mail that had the number and didn't make a note of it. I think someone that cagey and who rings that many alarm bells up front should be avoided.

Jeez the hassle and you haven't even met her yet! Do you really want to get involved with someone like that? You did well stopping contact.

Trying a bit of blanket bombing approach on POF now. Going to send out a right few mails, but proper ones and only to girls who seem interesting. Having said that, I'll be amazed if it results in any leads. I'm suspecting the responses will be either "thanks for your mail but I'm not interested blah blah blah" or no response at all.

Hopefully I'm wrong. They can't ALL be so blind that they can't see how much I rock :cool:

Galvasean wrote: »
    I have come to the opinion that women on these sites are only contacting me to pass the time. Nobody seems willing to 'take the next step' ie: organize an actual date these days. It's all message for a few days, followed by scarpering at the idea of meeting up.
    It just seems hard to find people that want to date (irony of ironies). Anyone else in a similar boat?

sort of similar boat tbh........went speed dating recently (which involved signing up to online dating as well - that's how the singles make contact afterwards)

got a load of "friend matches" the next day .....as it turned out was very interested in one of the girls and so it seemed was she......she had visited my (almost non existent) profile etc so I messaged her.....brief friendly message asking if she wanted to meet up

got reply to the effect she wasn't sure who I was (fair enough I didnt put up a profile picture...not sure I want my picture online) so I said I'd email her a picture...which I duly did

got email back saying of course she remembered me etc...how was weekend......no mention of meeting but wink emoticon etc

sent friendly reply and asked her to let me know if she was interested in meeting up sometime....................nothing since

so thought about some possible reasons for this for a while

1) I was meant to spend more time getting to know her online before suggesting a meeting (possibly but unlikely)
    2) Shes not interested and was just being polite (most likely imo)

So I said there is nothing I can do about (2)...cest la vie......however for for pig iron I went again and tried spending more time on the online side of things rather than going straight to the meetup request only for the same thing to happen - fizzles out

It has since occurred to me that trying to get a date via the online route is quite a difficult process as communicating via messaging is effectively another barrier between you and the other person and as amazing as it sounds to my own ears (being a bit of an introvert naturally) I reckon I operate better face to face and thats where you really find out if theres mutual attraction its all too easy to be fickle when you are having what effectively amounts to a relationship with your inbox

fcuk profiles and what music/tv shows people happen to like or where they have been on holiday/to college, what books they like to read etc.......this stuff amounts to no more than a hill of beans imo now......you can have all of this in common with someone and more than likely there wont be mutual attraction anyway or you certainly wont be able to tell it from an email correspondence that will probably fizzle out as has been my experience

with this in mind I've decided the online route is probably not for me and a more successful tactic will probably be putting myself in as many real world situations involving face to face interactions as possible with no barriers

So I decided recently to test the numbers game hypothesis by seeking out every possible opportunity to mix and interact face to face with members of the opposite sex while turning my nose up at this online faffing around :D (not involving nightclubs in my local area tho - small town and they are mostly filled with teenagers + I'm clueless/self conscious in nightclubs)

The only problem being that its proving hard to find these sort of opportunities.........there are lots of things to do but most of them are individual in nature and not necessarily conducive to meeting singles

but there must be something or else there's definitely a niche in the market for more than just online dating and speed/dinner dating

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rebelwoman

Well Amacca if you find it make sure to let the rest of know about it.lol

rebelwoman wrote: »
    Well Amacca if you find it make sure to let the rest of know about it.lol

was thinking about tag rugby (hard to find in small town with no rugby club)

mixed self defense classes (this could be feasible)

maybe join local sailing club and learn a skill

take up a bit of golf (lessons maybe)

maybe even a book club

+ go out and try my hand at one of these poker tournaments....I'm mostly sh1t at it but have my moments particularly when I'm new and the others don't know me

In many ways though...living in a city has many advantages when it comes to this sort of stuff..........

have yet to find the "killer app" of meeting suitable singles:D but am going to try give all of the above a go if feasible, just think there is more likelihood of success and less in the way of frustration and at least you are getting out and doing something when compared to messaging and winking and updating my status and being blanked etc

wish I could find where all or at least most of the women are at though and join that whatever that is (not sure I'd have the brass balls for yoga tho!)

• Advertisement

The only problem with the real life thingy is you've no idea if the person is single or not and often you only find when she uses it as a missile to shoot you down in flames.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement