Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Chess Union Website

• 29-08-2017 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

What is going on with the Leinster Chess Union Website. Says "The page you have requested is not available" Any update or info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Vampslayer wrote: »
    What is going on with the Leinster Chess Union Website. Says "The page you have requested is not available" Any update or info?

I found (or rather, failed to find) the same. Not paid their dues?
    Or have they moved?
    Normally at this time of the year we would expect to see information on the City of Dublin championships and maybe the leagues fixture list.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Happened last year as well I think; delay in renewing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Vampslayer

I see the website is back up which is great. Any word when the fixtures will be up for the season?

Fixtures were sent out to club secretaries yesterday anyway.

Expect the website will be updated shortly.

Thanks good to know

• Advertisement

Some matches are scheduled for Saturday 28 October which is a Bank Holiday weekend and clashes with the Limerick Open.
    Can that be right? I thought matches were never scheduled for Bank Holiday weekends?

Also I am sorry to see that again there are only five rounds before Christmas and the leagues don't end until 29 April which is much later than usual. The last round falls at the time of university exams etc.

Best is to drop the leagues controller a line about the Bank Holiday in particular.

The LCU only try to avoid clashes with Leinster events and Bunratty/Kilkenny, as otherwise there'd never be any games played. Clubs are free to rearrange matches/boards for clashes with other events.

cdeb wrote: »
    Best is to drop the leagues controller a line about the Bank Holiday in particular.

The LCU only try to avoid clashes with Leinster events and Bunratty/Kilkenny, as otherwise there'd never be any games played. Clubs are free to rearrange matches/boards for clashes with other events.

Well I am not a captain so somebody else can do it. But they are breaking their own rules as per the PDF league rules on the LCU website:
    2.5 No team or player shall be obliged to play a league fixture on a public holiday or on a weekend encompassing a public holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

If it is like in years gone by we are relying on the goodwill of individuals on the committee to keep these things going, in my case I had no problem maintaining the website out of my own pocket as the expense was minible and I could use the provider for other things also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Joedryan wrote: »
    If it is like in years gone by we are relying on the goodwill of individuals on the committee to keep these things going, in my case I had no problem maintaining the website out of my own pocket as the expense was minible and I could use the provider for other things also.
    I think the LCU's finances are pretty healthy; at least they were when I was on the committee fifteen years ago and the situation doesn't seem to have changed much since. The leagues provide a relatively large revenue stream at next to no cost. I would be very surprised if whoever's running the site were not claiming the cost back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

mikhail wrote: »
    I think the LCU's finances are pretty healthy; at least they were when I was on the committee fifteen years ago and the situation doesn't seem to have changed much since. The leagues provide a relatively large revenue stream at next to no cost. I would be very surprised if whoever's running the site were not claiming the cost back.
    As you said LCU takes the €€€'s and provides very poor return, clubs are paying for 5 star service and get a Not up to scratch service, they can't even keep their website online and sometimes takes weeks for results and tables to be updated.

The best thing that could happen is, if Leinster leagues management was taken over by ICU and the leagues moved into digital age, more revenue for ICU, streamlining revenues and operations, anyway I am not going to play in Leinster leagues this season.

Well I am not a captain so somebody else can do it.
    That's not very helpful.

I asked about it at the tournament and the reply was "Bugger" - but seeing as we're already onto draft 4 of the league fixtures due to clubs changing meeting nights, a new fixture list won't issue, but clubs are entitled to reschedule the games. I think there's 5 in total across all the leagues.

Anyone else notice that the "League rules" "Fide laws of chess" and "Fide Competition rules" are all out of date. Do we know when these will be updated? I know the club secretaries probably have the updated versions but with the leagues starting on Saturday not sure the teams/ individuals playing will be informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

The LCU results should always be up to date, many years back we had an interactive widget for the website and had results next day all up to date. 
    Its not really rocket science really.

Advertisement