Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thurles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I know not exactly Thurles but I heard today that there was some kind of protest outside Holycross novena today.
    Anyone see that?

To thine own self be true

shmeee wrote: »
    It's only 4 walls and a roof at the moment, the whole place was gutted inside.

Water in the basement was a major issue, it was a couple of meters deep. Loads of internal, structural damage.

Seen some photos recently of an army training day inside there and it looked awful, nothing only concrete walls and pillars left.

My god the trouble i faced getting in there the odd night off an absolute scummy bouncer back in my teen times :p feels not long ago :eek: How did it come to this?

Shocking waste of a fine building considering the homeless problem in this country. ironically a well known homeless man often sleeps in the doorway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭shmeee

ironically a well known homeless man often sleeps in the doorway

That well know homeless man won't take a house. Has issues with going in-doors.

Was given a house and didn't want it and wouldn't even go into a cabin which was placed on the Catherdral lawn for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Jimmy Mac won't sleep in a house. Apparently he lost loved ones in a house fire. His sister used to walk miles from town to town with a buggy. His brother Terry is in the Hospital Of the Assumption after an accident on Liberty Square.

That well know homeless man won't take a house. Has issues with going in-doors.

Was given a house and didn't want it and wouldn't even go into a cabin which was placed on the Catherdral lawn for him.

Yeah I had heard that previously as well as the reason he won't take a house that Grab all mentioned. Tbf I can understand his reasons. I remember reading from Jimmy Fitzpatrick who was badly burned in the Stardust disaster and lost many friends will always make an exit plan to this day when entering any building.

I can only imagine experiencing such a tragedy leaves huge psychological scars :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Is there any bus from Thurles to Dublin/Dublin airport?
    See JJ Kavanagh have daily service from Clonmel but can't see anything for Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Triboro wrote: »
    Is there any bus from Thurles to Dublin/Dublin airport?
    See JJ Kavanagh have daily service from Clonmel but can't see anything for Thurles.

I don't think there's any direct bus, you would be better off getting the train to hueston then bus it to the airport.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I don't think there's any direct bus, you would be better off getting the train to hueston then bus it to the airport.

Yeah have gone that way before.
    Just the bus is handy goin direct with bags etc.

Iarnród Éireann have the monopoly in Thurles. There's no competition. Owning a car isn't cheap but it works out a whole lot cheaper than the extortionate €50 day return to Dublin.

Does a bus even go from the Horse and Jockey any more?

• Advertisement

Dunno either. Used to be able to get the Aircoach in Cashel before.
    Apparently that only goes express between Cork and Dublin now!

Where's First Edition gone??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Retired.

Retired.
    There's no sign in the window or anything.
    Was that out of blue?
    Just saw the place today cleared out.

Retired.
    There's no sign in the window or anything.
    Was that out of blue?
    Just saw the place today cleared out.
    I can understand Tipp closing because never saw anyone in there but thought Thurles was doing great.
    Will they try sell it?

There was a sign up for weeks before it closed.

Specsavers opening in Thurles Shopping Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There was a sign up for weeks before it closed.

The proprietor has died quite recently. RIP.

splinter65 wrote: »
    The proprietor has died quite recently. RIP.

poor Mary died a month ago.
    her month mind mass is on Saturday evening

Another Hipster café has opened in the town.

• Advertisement

Where’s that now?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Another?? Where is the first one??

mikep wrote: »

ON Liberty Square Dejabrew

The Green Sheep on Friar Street

I see it there actually today. And the Tara back open again.
    The last Tara attempt was terrible. Nothing to tempt you back at all.
    Hope this crowd do better.

splinter65 wrote: »
    I see it there actually today. And the Tara back open again.
    The last Tara attempt was terrible. Nothing to tempt you back at all.
    Hope this crowd do better.

I suspect it's the guy who owns the Witch Way Inn near Holycross whose taking over it. I've seen the van outside the place the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

mikep wrote: »

I didn't realise TGS was a hipster place...certainly the owners aren't!
    I also didn't realise that Thurles had any hipsters...although they'll all be home to see mammy for the christmas so Dejabrew better get open quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭shmeee

I suspect it's the guy who owns the Witch Way Inn near Holycross whose taking over it. I've seen the van outside the place the past few weeks.

The Tara is run now by a chef who was out in O'Gormans Restaurant in Thurles Golf Club AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

The Tara is run now by a chef who was out in O'Gormans Restaurant in Thurles Golf Club AFAIK.

They also run the canteen in the mart and it's pretty damn good.

All people really want is hot tasty food served promptly in nice clean warm surroundings.
    The last tenant wasn’t interested in service. My waitress the only day I went was her little girl aged about 10.
    No condiments on the table, very ordinary sandwich, soup would have been nice if it had been hot.
    The whole atmosphere leant towards the customer being privileged to be sitting there at all.
    Not surprised that it closed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement