Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

most memorable murder? and most interesting unsolved crimes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

I searched for it as I very nearly ended up organising going to a viewing of the house- not realising the history of it. I can't find it online anywhere.
    neither can i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 anonymous00000

The missing women of the 90s. Hopefully someday they will be found.

Michaela McAreavey. Also horrific.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

Zodiac Killer and the Long Island serial killer at the 2 ones which stand out when I think of that.

More interested in serial killers who were caught just about after years after their first few killings.

Much more interesting to see where they slipped up and how the police figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Ciara Breen case. Young girl of 17 years who went missing from her home in Dundalk 20 years ago today. She went out during the night to meet someone and was never seen again -

http://talkofthetown.ie/20-years-today-since-disappearance-of-ciara-breen/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The most horrible murder recently had to be The Elaine O'Hara case.

Go down to the shore and wait was the last text Elaine received.

People encountered her on her last walk including the lady who saw her sobbing on her Mum's grave. Such a lonely walk.

He is such a hateful person and should never be freed.

His arrogance was astounding.

For some reason This case got to me.

When you think of Larry Murphy, you think of a dirty pervert lurking down a dark alley waiting to pounce, but Graham Dwyer shows that evil walks amongst us daily in the guise of Mr. Middle class. That's what makes it scarier.

So sad for Elaine and also her poor family having to go through that trial.

I remember the day he was convicted and we were in work and the news came through. People were going" they've got him", and "yes" and some people actually cheered.

I thought it was just me, but the nation was transfixed by it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 anonymous00000

anewme wrote: »
    The most horrible murder recently had to be The Elaine O'Hara case.

Go down to the shore and wait was the last text Elaine received.

People encountered her on her last walk including the lady who saw her sobbing on her Mum's grave. Such a lonely walk.

He is such a hateful person and should never be freed.

His arrogance was astounding.

For some reason This case got to me.

When you think of Larry Murphy, you think of a dirty pervert lurking down a dark alley waiting to pounce, but Graham Dwyer shows that evil walks amongst us daily in the guise of Mr. Middle class. That's what makes it scarier.

So sad for Elaine and also her poor family having to go through that trial.

I remember the day he was convicted and we were in work and the news came through. People were going" they've got him", and "yes" and some people actually cheered.

I thought it was just me, but the nation was transfixed by it.

Yes I agree, the whole country was shocked by that case. Its just unbelievable how conniving and manipulative he was - pure sociopath. Not only do I feel for Elaines family but also his wife and kids! You'd have to wonder was Elaine's murder his first or was he responsible for more?

Karen Buckleys aswell which happened not so long after Graham Dwyers trial ended. Another horrific case that transfixed the whole country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Jack the bloody ripper.

One of the most interesting unsolved crimes for me is the case of Johnny Gosch.

One thing I couldn't wrap my head around watching the documentary on Netflix (Who Took Johnny) was; why the hell would nobody involved in the investigation talk to Paul Bonacci who admits (claims) that he was involved with the kidnapping. Crazy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

Does anyone remember Trevor Daly? To this day no one knows where he is. He was seen on CCTV the night he disappeared and yet, not one trace of him after that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 seanietruck

GuessWhoEh wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Trevor Daly? To this day no one knows where he is. He was seen on CCTV the night he disappeared and yet, not one trace of him after that

I remember that, that was the guy who went missing around Christmas wasn't it? Very strange I wonder what happened.
    Madeleine McCann also. Missing 10 years this year.
    The girl who was murdered in Scotland that was awful, Karen Buckley. Her poor family, what must go through her parents minds whenever they close their eyes and think of their daughters last moments must be heartbreaking. How her father must feel knowing what that monster did to his beautiful only daughter 😭
    So many heartbreaking cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The weather was awful, there were lots of christmas parties on and a taxi strike.
    My theory is hit and run by a drunk driver, body buried in mountains. His mobile phone rang out for at least 24 hours afterwards - which would not be the case if he had fallen into canal or river (which is one of the other common theories).
    Against that, I do find it strange that so few of the people seen on the CCTV came forward to help with enquiries... so maybe there was something even more sinister going on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

There was also CCTV footage of him going into the bank where he worked very late that night, chatting to the guy who was working the night shift and staying for a few minutes on his computer ...
    But the most sinister bit is that someone came to the bank with him, waited at the gate while he was inside and then walked away with him. Could never be identified and never came forward either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

the Long Island serial killer

Is that the Gilgo Beach case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yeah, very strange case. Especially the circumstances leading to the finding of the bodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Ipso wrote: »
    Yeah, very strange case. Especially the circumstances leading to the finding of the bodies?

Some were there for 20 years. :eek:

Trevor Deely.

Very sad case. His poor family.

Crimecall had feature on Fiona Sinnot. new DNA technioques being used there now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

maybe i was wrong not to believe about JoJo

Thanks for posting that Jenny, I didn't see it. It reminds me of the Mary Boyle case. There's been a lot of talk about her murderer being known and protected as he's connected politically. I'd love to know what happened to her. The sister wants an inquest not her death but the mother won't agree to it as she can't bring herself to accept the child is dead.

• Advertisement

Ann22 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that Jenny, I didn't see it. It reminds me of the Mary Boyle case. There's been a lot of talk about her murderer being known and protected as he's connected politically. I'd love to know what happened to her. The sister wants an inquest not her death but the mother won't agree to it as she can't bring herself to accept the child is dead.
    There is also a lot of nonsense talked about Mary Boyle. People who say the garda do nothing as if the garda tell anonymous people on the internet their investigation strategies. No one knows what if anything the garda are doing, who they may suspect, who they may be watching and they have to have evidence to arrest someone.

When it happened they did not have power of arrest for questioning only to charge and had to rely on people 'helping with their enquiries' which they were not obliged to do. Since 1984 they have power of arrest to question but have to have suspicion and grounds for arrrest. No one knows what grounds the garda have or if it would stand up legally as distinct from on an internet site

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I don't think people think they did nothing but an ex detective spoke of his suspicions about an individual at the time but was told to ease off him. Seems the man was on the verge of confessing. Very annoying that they could do nothing. Surely they shouldve taken him in for questioning as soon as the law allowed? This detective seemed to think he had good grounds for questioning

Ann22 wrote: »
    I don't think people think they did nothing
    many claim they did and do nothing
    but an ex detective spoke of his suspicions about an individual at the time but was told to ease off him.
    And has since claimed he was not subject to any political interference
    Surely they shouldve taken him in for questioning as soon as the law allowed?
    Do they have evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Seems like that James Nolan case might just be added to our list. They are searching for his body today. Apparently somebody killed themselves last week and left a suicide note saying that they tortured and killed him.

Given the nature of his crimes, I dont have much sympathy for him anyway. I've always thought that we should adopt a more middle eastern approach to dealing with rapists. Not having them walking down the street across you after two f**king years later.

I hope the recent developments in the Trevor Deely case bring some news for his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

anewme wrote: »
    I hope the recent developments in the Trevor Deely case bring some news for his family.

The sad fact is that is the exact same footage and article they wrote years ago. It's not "recent" updates. They are just appealing for the same man to come forward who won't and no one will know why. I've been following thise case for years. Even as a kid and seeing him going missing always struck me as odd. Walks out of his job then gone...strange

The sad fact is that is the exact same footage and article they wrote years ago. It's not "recent" updates. They are just appealing for the same man to come forward who won't and no one will know why. I've been following thise case for years. Even as a kid and seeing him going missing always struck me as odd. Walks out of his job then gone...strange
    You sure?. Isn't there new upgraded footage? I have never seen the footage of the man Trevor was speaking to before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Every few years around this time of year, the press in Northern Ireland run appeals for more information on the murder of German backpacker Inga Maria Hauser.
    Despite having a DNA profile and having narrowed the area of interest down to an area covering three villages in north Antrim, the have failed to get the killer(s).
    After 29 years passing and one of the largest DNA screenings ever, those responsible for this remain at large.

A Dublin based blogger has written up a fascinating blog on this story:

https://thekeeleychronicles.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/ingahauserchapter1/

Every few years around this time of year, the press in Northern Ireland run appeals for more information on the murder of German backpacker Inga Maria Hauser.
    Despite having a DNA profile and having narrowed the area of interest down to an area covering three villages in north Antrim, the have failed to get the killer(s).
    After 29 years passing and one of the largest DNA screenings ever, those responsible for this remain at large.

A Dublin based blogger has written up a fascinating blog on this story:

https://thekeeleychronicles.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/ingahauserchapter1/

This whole case now hangs on the conscience of one person who police need to help them charge the three killers. They know who did it, it just seems they do not have sufficient evidence to make it stick in court.
    Makes me so fekking angry that this has gone unsolved for so long.

Now her voice can be heard. Hoping that this will play on their mind, but I doubt it. C**ts. Pure scum.

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2017-11-02/unheard-audio-of-backpacker-murdered-in-northern-ireland-released/

• Advertisement

The net is closing in on these b@st@rds:

Net closing in on German backpackers killers

It is the 30 year anniversary of her murder now. She was killed during one of the most violent periods in NI history - April 1988. In the preceding month were the Gibraltar killings, Milltown Cemetery attack, and the Corporals killings.

Hopefully, her mother will get justice before she dies.

Advertisement