Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Radio Controlled Watch Suggestions

• 23-07-2020 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I've interested in a radio controlled watch but am trying to find one that I can wear daily to work and isn't too cluttered with "bells and whistles" (so G-Shocks and the like are out).

Something along the lines of this Junghans Mega Solar would be nice but a bit more affordable and less gloomy/dark looking (I do like the analog/digital mix no it). Or maybe it's worth the investment (around 500 EUR).

Any one have experience with radio controlled and can offer suggestions? I don't mind if it only accepts a single band (Germany).

95289944_max.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

Some of the Casio waveceptors aren't too cluttered and look dressy enough.
    https://www.watchshop.com/watches/mens-casio-waveceptor-titanium-alarm-chronograph-radio-controlled-watch-wva-m640td-1aer.pdp

I have two G shock waveceptors and do quite like them that I can just grab them and they keep updated.

That Jungans does look nice

Few nice citizens
    https://www.watchshop.com/watches/mens-citizen-eco-drive-world-perpetual-a-t-radio-controlled-stainless-steel-watch-cb0160-51l.pdp

Chrono but it's a pretty clear dial for one.
    https://www.watchshop.com/watches/citizen-world-chrono-a-t-limited-edition-watch-at8038-08a.pdp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

It'll come in at more than the 500 though

cDG19Ld.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Amik

Almost fell out of my seat when I saw the Oceanus: looks lovely and indestructible! Prices well above 500 EUR though.

The limited edition white Citizen chrono @Ryath posted caught my eye. The strap looks a bit too formal though. Not sure I have a need for a chrono though unless I want to start timing meetings. :)

citizen-at8038-08a-mens-limited-edition-world-chronograph-wristwatch-p16314-61695_medium.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The Oceanus is wonderful. I've managed to scratch the bezel on mine somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I have an old Casio Wave Ceptor that was battered when I got it.

It was a novelty to see how radio controlled watches work.

It is near indestructible and works perfectly, even when in a box under my bed.

I mostly use it to set my highly inaccurate manual wind and automatic watches. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I have the Oceanus S100 in titanium. I also have the Oceanus t200 which is similar spec, tough solar but in stainless steel. It's a a simple three hander with perpetual date. Dial is not as busy, no cities on the chapter ring.
    They sync here, so are always correct.
    The t200 bluetooths to the phone so you can see charge status, time corrects etc and will change time zones with the phone. Good tech for €350.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Now that I think about it - why hasn't this tech filtered down to more watches? At this stage it must have been around for decades. Is it a case that quartz watches are considered accurate enough without it?

Patents might be one issue, the other is volume, you'ld probably want to shift a lot of units to claw back the development cost.
    I also have one of those Casio M640 with the tech in it, it was about 80euros. I saw a video of a guy who only collects those wave ceptor variants, I was impressed to see 20 odd watches with every second hand in sync.
    The actual transmitters are under threat, there was talk of turning it off as some state body akin to the NSAI here has the cost burden to keep it transmitting.

I'm leaning hard towards the Oceanus. Watched a few video reviews and it has everything I need.

map1.gif

Radio coverage isn't as widespread as I imagined. If you're a frequent traveler to places like Africa, South America, and central Russia you'll have to wait until you get home to sync. Not every watch is capable of syncing with all the transmitters. Many of the German models I looked at only synced with DCF77.

Citizen has some nice GPS watches that work everywhere, even in planes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

• Advertisement

Snap, that's the m640 I have with the resin band. I wear it to work a good bit, the timer is handy.

Amik, I'll probably sell one of the two oceanus I have, probably the s100. Let me know if you are interested and I'll list in the buy and sell section.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Amik wrote: »
    I'm leaning hard towards the Oceanus. Watched a few video reviews and it has everything I need.

map1.gif

Radio coverage isn't as widespread as I imagined. If you're a frequent traveler to places like Africa, South America, and central Russia you'll have to wait until you get home to sync. Not every watch is capable of syncing with all the transmitters. Many of the German models I looked at only synced with DCF77.

Citizen has some nice GPS watches that work everywhere, even in planes!

]

I wouldn't let lack of regional coverage put me off. Presumably it's as accurate as a quartz outside the broadcast zones. I have a solar wave receptor that just can receive the Japanese frequently. I lose the radio control aspect in Europe, but its still a nice watch

"Hurry up gentlemen, it's almost time for take-off..."

THANK YOU for all your suggestions! I finally decided on a Casio Oceanus (best quality, features, and value for money) and it has surpassed expectations. I went with the light blue version with the Roman XII.

I was worried it may look a bit feminine but it's absolutely not. More like a Caribbean blue ocean.

The radio reception function is fun and no issues in mainland Europe. I'll try a reception at home in Ireland tomorrow.

lXHl0qH.jpg

Advertisement