Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

I forgot what forum I was in. See the Listowel thread re the roads and byways of Ballybunion.

I think if we can attach REICS map to google earth maybe we may have something.

SNOWSCORPION,
    Check out:
    www.chivalry.com some songs Irish from long ago( CANTARIA ).
    I want to embed a picture in the thread.I'm tired of trying.
    Suggestions needed.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

I have an idea about how to embed pics in the thread.

Give me a second and let my try a little experiment.

ballybthecaves6gt.png

Ta-DAAAAA!!

smileychoco.gif

ballybvirginrock8ss.jpg

• Advertisement

sandhill,

Go to http://imageshack.us/

--> Browse

--> click the pic you want to share

--> Open

--> Host it!

--> Copy the URL at "Direct Link to Image"

--> Return to www.boards.ie

--> Post Reply

--> Above the main window, click the stamped yellow envelope (to the left of the globe and two Xs.) "Insert Image" will appear when you touch the yellow envelope.

--> a small window opens

--> paste the URL you copied from image shack into the window

--> OK (that gets rid of the small window)

--> Submit reply

--> stand back and admire the miraculous technology of the intrawebnet.com

Thanks SNOWSCORPION,

Great photos.
    Tide is on it's way in, get out of the caves !
    got to go and try this (photos).
    See LISTOWEL Thread.
    Have a good one.

Sandhill,

I found this picture with the caption Ballybunion - Main Street downtown.

It doesn't look familiar to me. :confused:

Is this Ahafona?

ballybunionmainstreetdowntown4.jpg

Sandhill,

I found this picture with the caption Ballybunion - Main Street downtown.

It doesn't look familiar to me. :confused:

Is this Ahafona?

ballybunionmainstreetdowntown4.jpg
    .**********************************
    SNOWSCORPION,
    No it is not Ahafona.
    It is the other end of Main Street.
    this is a great photo.When was it taken?
    On the left is the house next door( on the right side )to J.J.O'Carrolls( earlier photo) on the right side of the road is the wall of the Castle Hotel property.
    Walk down the street and at the last light/telephone pole you would take the right fork to the beach and Castle Green, the left fork goes to SandHill Road.?

Ah, I get it.

nowigetit3sa.png

I didn't think it was Ahafona. (But I was hoping.)

Jesus, I've walked that stretch of street and I have no memory of it at all. :(

• Advertisement

Snowscorpion.
    See attached.
    What bloody weather today, and the rest of the week they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Another pic of Ballybunion castle and beach taken last December. With me included as shadow!

bbcastle.jpg

Great picture, reic.

And even better with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

I don't recall the little "cowpath" going around the side. And I know the chainlink fence is new.

I wonder if people are allowed to go through to the ocean side? It looks like they are. I don't see anything blocking the wooden bridge.

I've been turning the house upside down looking for the photo albums. There's surely some pictures of Ballyb in there somewhere, but for the life of me, I don't know where I put them. :confused:

Great picture, reic.

And even better with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

I don't recall the little "cowpath" going around the side. And I know the chainlink fence is new.

I wonder if people are allowed to go through to the ocean side? It looks like they are. I don't see anything blocking the wooden bridge.

I've been turning the house upside down looking for the photo albums. There's surely some pictures of Ballyb in there somewhere, but for the life of me, I don't know where I put them. :confused:
    The cowpath is probably a foot path.If i rememebr right one can enter through the opening and beyond is a wall so you could not go any further.
    Note the link fence - this is to keep the visitors from trying to get near to the edge and walking around the castle.
    The path that REIC'S shadow over shadows is a walk from the concession stands/shops to the other beach

Sorry I missed a few days. I've been looking for the photo albums.

Finally found them! :D

I call this one Cowtime on Doon Road

(This is about a mile north of the Ballybunion. I think it's about a mile north.

CowtimeonDoonRoad.jpg

SNOWSCORPION:
    Great photo. It's a long walk up Doon Road but beautiful views.
    If this was a post card they would title it " Traffic Jam in Ireland " ( you have seen these post cards).

Sandhill,

here's one from your neck of the woods ... or village as the case may be.

Back in the 1970's there was a photographer at the north end of .... Sandhill Road. He was at the fork in the road when if you went left, you went along Sandhill Road, go right and you headed toward the Castle Green.

Right about here, as I recall:

boxingphoto.jpg

At any rate, my brother and I got our pictures taken standing behind big cartoon drawings. My brother had his picture taken standing behind a drawing of a guy sitting on the beach eating an ice cream cone.

I had mine taken behind a drawing of a boxer with "The Greatest" written on the trunks.

I don't know if any of this rings any bells with you, but it's the closest thing I have to a picture of Sandhill Road. Maybe you recognize the house behind me. (This is sometime in the early 1970s)

TheGreatest.jpg

Sandhill,

here's one from your neck of the woods ... or village as the case may be.

Back in the 1970's there was a photographer at the north end of .... Sandhill Road. He was at the fork in the road when if you went left, you went along Sandhill Road, go right and you headed toward the Castle Green.

Right about here, as I recall:

boxingphoto.jpg

At any rate, my brother and I got our pictures taken standing behind big cartoon drawings. My brother had his picture taken standing behind a drawing of a guy sitting on the beach eating an ice cream cone.

I had mine taken behind a drawing of a boxer with "The Greatest" written on the trunks.

I don't know if any of this rings any bells with you, but it's the closest thing I have to a picture of Sandhill Road. Maybe you recognize the house behind me. (This is sometime in the early 1970s)

TheGreatest.jpg

Greetings again snowscorpion.

The photographer was called FRANK SNAPS. I remember where he was set up.One of my cousins and her boyfriend worked for him during their summer holidays from school.I am happy to say they did get married.
    The building ?? It could be the Marine Hotel in the background, or one of the GuestHouses on either side of it.
    I doubt if FRANK SNAPS would set up his props anywhere else in the town.They would also go along the strand and photograph and give you a ticket stub so you could claim you photo later on in the day.

FRANK SNAPS

That's it! I haven't thought of that in years, but that's defintitely the name I remember.

Very impressive, sandhill.

I have a picture around here somewhere that might have the Listowel Road in the background.

hdg.gif

irishsignpost7qu.jpg

• Advertisement

Great pics SS! Ah, nostalgia, I knew thee well......

Hope this link works, from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballybunion

reic wrote:
    Hope this link works, from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballybunion

Already been there, reic. :D

Wikipedia invites people to add to Ballybunion's entry. I've wondering what could be added.

Wikipedia also wants sources cited so the new info can be checked.

hdg.gif

irishsignpost7qu.jpg
    Are we now at Lisselton Cross ??
    There is a plaque to Pres. Clinton there.
    Probably took a leak at one of the pubs before he headed for BallyB

As long as a leak is all he did with it!! The local PP would not be impressed!

Are we now at Lisselton Cross ??
    There is a plaque to Pres. Clinton there.
    Probably took a leak at one of the pubs before he headed for BallyB

c024.gif I dunno!

Where is Bal-dun-a-who (as my mother used to pronounce it) in relation to Lisselton?

Ballybunion and Listowel in opposite directions, seven and eight miles away? It's not 15 miles from Ballyb to Listowel.

c024.gif I dunno!

Where is Bal-dun-a-who (as my mother used to pronounce it) in relation to Lisselton?

Ballybunion and Listowel in opposite directions, seven and eight miles away? It's not 15 miles from Ballyb to Listowel.

That is what the EEC has done we are no longer in miles ,
    I always thought Ballybunion to Listowel was 10 Miles.
    Let me put the thinking cap on in regards to Bal a don a Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

I have this vague memory of a sign on the road saying Ballybunion 14. Can't remember if it's miles or kilometers!

That is what the EEC has done we are no longer in miles ,
    I always thought Ballybunion to Listowel was 10 Miles.
    Let me put the thinking cap on in regards to Bal a don a Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Sandhill, you're right.

I didn't see the "km" on the sign. 7 km to Bally and 8 to Listowel ... 15 km = 9.3 miles.

So I guess the picture is taken at "Lisselton Cross" as you call it. But I sure don't recognize it. I've always thought of Lisselton as an intersection on the Listowel road some distance east of the creamery. The picture I have in my head is about a half-dozen stores at the intersection (one of them a gas station.)

I know Lisselton always gets its own section in the Kerryman under the countywide notes section. Is there a village of Lisselton somewhere close to the intersection on the Listowel Road?

• Advertisement

That's the intersection I was talking about. (Or writing about.)

But there's actually a village of Lisselton north of the Intersection of Lisselton. :eek:

lisselton4en.jpg

Here's the entire map - it's a good one (it's pdf)

http://www.killarney250.com/Kerry%20Map.pdf

Knockanore is an official mountain now? :D What's that blue symbol beside Knockanore? Something to do with the radio transmitter from long ago?

Advertisement