Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starbucks to open in Limerick

• 19-04-2014 9:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Can't link on mobile but set to open
    Good to see but can't help to affect alot of smaller coffee places

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

After a few coffees people will cop that it's nothing special. I just hope they open late

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jongaz

where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The old HMV store on Cruises Street apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sure wasn't this already being discussed in the Limerick Businesses opening thread? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

bazz26 wrote: »
    The old HMV store on Cruises Street apparently.

Sounds like that could be true...

Planning Application

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I never really got the appeal of Starbucks. I find their coffee very bland and their outlets have no character. I suppose it'll free up space in other coffee shops when the hipsters flock to Starbucks to congregate:D

I can't wait for it anyway! :)

I'm sure Costa will only be dying to get into town now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

People seem to have a Marmite relationship with Starbucks. While I also find their coffee and sandwich offerings inferior to what independent coffee shops offer, there is no denying that Starbucks symbolises a certain affluence and progressive vibe to a location. The old HMV corner unit at Cruises St is possibly one of the best retail locations in the city centre so good to see it now being occupied by an internationally recognised retailer (even if it's not everyone's cup of tea or even coffee..pun intended!). It sure beats yet another euro shop or cash for gold shop hands down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Another decent mens clothes shop would be welcome instead of another coffee shop

There's not enough big units in town for any decent clothes shops at the moment.

Dunnes on O'Connell Street is one of the only decent sized places.

Seduzca on William Street would be a fine shop but can't see any retailer wanting to move into that part of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

There already is a Starbucks in Limerick. Although it really is only for us teachers out in Mary I.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

buyer95 wrote: »
    There already is a Starbucks in Limerick. Although it really is only for us teachers out in Mary I.

Grand spot for a large mocha! :D

*cough* We're not all teachers in Mary I! :pac:

*cough* We're not all teachers in Mary I! :pac:

Sorry, didn't mean to tar us all with the same brush. Not forgetting our lovely liberal arts and early childhood students!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

Is there still a starbucks in UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

SHANAbert wrote: »
    Is there still a starbucks in UL?

Yup.

4.40 for a medium coffee and small scone today.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

893bet wrote: »
    Yup.

4.40 for a medium coffee and small scone today.

Centra charges €3.50 for a coffee and a muffin so for the overheads a bricks and mortar shop like Starbucks has it's not excessive in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Centra charges €3.50 for a coffee and a muffin so for the overheads a bricks and mortar shop like Starbucks has it's not excessive in my opinion.

Centre would have the same overheads.

The margin on coffee/tea etc are exceptionally high.

Starbucks are a rip off but I do enjoy some of their sugar/coffee drinks. Iced carmel macciatto mmmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I never really got the appeal of Starbucks. I find their coffee very bland and their outlets have no character. I suppose it'll free up space in other coffee shops when the hipsters flock to Starbucks to congregate:D

The appeal is late opening hours, and no loud radio stations blaring out music so you can sit and read a book in peace.

Hopefully it'll be open til 9 or 10pm!

One thing that bugs me about Gloria Jeans is that it is constantly busy on Friday evenings when they are closing up. Surely they should take the hint and stay open a bit longer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Seduzca on William Street would be a fine shop but can't see any retailer wanting to move into that part of town.

From what I've heard that unit is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Volk54

The hell with that Gloria Jean's is over on Thomas street if I wanted to pay €5 for a coffee I'd go there instead, that being said there are a ton of better locally run coffee shops around at the minute just avoid Arthur's Quay shopping center like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

Insomnia in Easons will take a huge hit!! Love the coffee from there. Sandwich and drink for a fiver can't beat it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Volk54

Is Harper's still open in the place where Ponaire were in the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Yup Doing great business

Whats the coffee like in insomnia upstairs in easons?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Whats the coffee like in insomnia upstairs in easons?

Roasted by a company called United Coffee in the UK. Same crowd who do McDonalds Coffee. It used to be made by a Scottish company and was a darker roast, and in my opinion, nicer. It changed not so long ago.

I don't like the new beans/taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Roasted by a company called United Coffee in the UK. Same crowd who do McDonalds Coffee. It used to be made by a Scottish company and was a darker roast, and in my opinion, nicer. It changed not so long ago.

I don't like the new beans/taste.

I'm with you there. Used to be a great fan of Insomnia and indeed it's not as good anymore.

Current place good for coffee is Aroma on Roches/Catherine Street

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I'm not a huge fan of Starbucks but hopefully they'll do decent chai lattes. I haven't found anywhere in Limerick yet that tops the ones I get in The Secret Garden Cafe in Galway. Surely somewhere in the city must do a decent one! The one I tried in Insomnia recently was the most watery piece of crap I've ever tasted :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

I'm sure Costa will only be dying to get into town now.

Wonder why Costa weren't in town before now?
    It was hardly Planning restrictions?

I used to like their place in the Jetland, sitting down for a coffee on the couches with the sun beatin in.
    They opened in Childers Rd and the Crescent soon after their departure from the Jetland.

Advertisement