Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NAI Wills query

• 09-07-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

One of my cousins died March 1943 according to the headstone inscription but the NLI Wills state that he died March 1933. However probate was granted in May 1944.

Is it more probable that there was an error on the headstone inscription rather than on the Will Calendar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

do you have a death cert, or even an index record ?

I go by that date ...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Sure, until now, I was pretty confident that the headstone inscription was correct so didn't bother with a certificate. I've been looking and there isn't any obvious death record match for him. The closest is:

Name: Patrick English
    Event Type: Death
    Event Date: Apr - Jun 1943
    Registration Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1943
    Registration District: Limerick
    Birth Year (Estimated): 1874

He was born in 1865 and both Census show his correct age. Maybe 9 years out is not such a big difference! Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

if that fit's then it sounds like maybe it was just a typo on the Will Calendar

edit : There's just the two deaths that I see in the area on either FS or GRO between 1931 and 1944, one in 1943 and the other with the middle name in 1944, and both with Will probate entries.

Based on the location given for Patrick on the calendar, 'Sunglin' presumably Sunglen townland, the only other possibilities seems to be the one in 1934 in Tipperary district, but his age is recorded as 29, or one in 1939 died with reported age 68 (c1871)

Advertisement