Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Songs from an empty room after hours shishe.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 changeover

And for what it is worth I too am missing all that is stopped, and I wouldn’t even necessarily agree that these things should have been stopped. Hopefully they will be back soon.
    I appreciate the hard work that goes into everything to make it all happen. As I have always appreciated the low paid supermarket workers that others would abuse or make comments about where they come from. Now I think we all appreciate them a bit more.
    If you are a big reason for the success of Hozier and the likes, then he can give you the charity you are looking for.
    Sounds like you would make a good detective so maybe that is an option for u. But be careful as even in that job you may need to spend some time in front of a computer. You’ve been a hippy for long enough, time to be an adult now.

I too am greatful for the guy who stocks shelves, they are out there in the middle of all of this surrounded by god knows who putting up all levels of abuse.

Your comments about being a hippy are not relevent to the topic, I'm far from "peace n love man" and everyone I know who works in the industry is an adult as its an industry that doesn't overly forgive errors and jokers, its like every other industry in that there is internal whispers about people and based on their past errors and stupid mistakes and based on your behaviour you work or you don't.

I'm sorry if I came across as being abrasive towards you, the current times and everything seems a bit strange at the moment as every weekend I should be in a venue or at a festival and I read your comments and saw red.

I do apologise.

If you do hear of a detective roll opening up I would be interested, I'd say the hours would be better, less travel and more family time!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

changeover wrote: »
    I too am greatful for the guy who stocks shelves, they are out there in the middle of all of this surrounded by god knows who putting up all levels of abuse.

Your comments about being a hippy are not relevent to the topic, I'm far from "peace n love man" and everyone I know who works in the industry is an adult as its an industry that doesn't overly forgive errors and jokers, its like every other industry in that there is internal whispers about people and based on their past errors and stupid mistakes and based on your behaviour you work or you don't.

I'm sorry if I came across as being abrasive towards you, the current times and everything seems a bit strange at the moment as every weekend I should be in a venue or at a festival and I read your comments and saw red.

I do apologise.

If you do hear of a detective roll opening up I would be interested, I'd say the hours would be better, less travel and more family time!!! :)

No worries mate, no need for apology and I also apologise to you. I only said the hippy thing as a response to you “I knew you are behind a computer...” thingy comment. And even as I typed it I knew how stupid and bizarre it was.
    Anyway, I do understand all the hardships and I have every sympathy for all affected. And even in my posts, I mostly post for comic effects to be honest, but I go way overboard just for the sake of it.
    Even in my own industry, it’s been decimated by cheap labour from abroad, as more and more companies follow a onshore/offshore model in maintaining their systems. And there are less opportunities the older you get. I wish I was the artistic type but never was, my only real skill was maths. I got an A1 in honour maths all those years ago and then just average grades in the rest, and I would even say I got 100% in the maths!!
    And even though I was taking the extreme anti view of this show, I completely understood the hardship of those who work behind the scenes. I was just putting forward the views for debating and the effects.
    Anyways sorry again, I hope you don’t have to retrain and all that and that things come back someway like before. If it wasn’t for film, music, theatre, comedy we are all a lot worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ugh. I hate it when internet debates dont end in a bareknuckcle fight arranged

No worries mate, no need for apology and I also apologise to you. I only said the hippy thing as a response to you “I knew you are behind a computer...” thingy comment. And even as I typed it I knew how stupid and bizarre it was.
    Anyway, I do understand all the hardships and I have every sympathy for all affected. And even in my posts, I mostly post for comic effects to be honest, but I go way overboard just for the sake of it.
    Even in my own industry, it’s been decimated by cheap labour from abroad, as more and more companies follow a onshore/offshore model in maintaining their systems. And there are less opportunities the older you get. I wish I was the artistic type but never was, my only real skill was maths. I got an A1 in honour maths all those years ago and then just average grades in the rest, and I would even say I got 100% in the maths!!
    And even though I was taking the extreme anti view of this show, I completely understood the hardship of those who work behind the scenes. I was just putting forward the views for debating and the effects.
    Anyways sorry again, I hope you don’t have to retrain and all that and that things come back someway like before. If it wasn’t for film, music, theatre, comedy we are all a lot worse off.

Labour and equipment from other companies abroad is also something we want to try and avoid, if Irish lighting, audio, staging ect hire companies go wallop we would have to look to the English and even then an English audio hire company announced a 50 person cull in their organisation on Wednesday so they too are in a shady position. Combine this with Brexit and getting equipment in from the UK to serve the Irish festival scene could prove to be a nightmare with carnets and customs so then we would have to look to Europe meaning the ticket price you normally pay would have to double....and prices are already too high.
    There is the knock on effect and that is why we are high lighting this industry, its not living for the here and now, its trying to eliminate further job cuts and revenue leaving the country.

And I forgot to say my comments about getting a job were the most bizarre of all I said. They were the most ignorant, but also most for the sake of having a debate, of all I made. I wish society was a less capitalist one where there is such extreme of wealth. People working all hours in a shop should be paid somewhat similar type wages to those who are politicians, office workers who think they are highly skilled, influencers, entrepreneurs etc.

• Advertisement

And I forgot to say my comments about getting a job were the most bizarre of all I said. They were the most ignorant, but also most for the sake of having a debate, of all I made. I wish society was a less capitalist one where there is such extreme of wealth. People working all hours in a shop should be paid somewhat similar type wages to those who are politicians, office workers who think they are highly skilled, influencers, entrepreneurs etc.

Your comments about getting another job are well founded and depending on the outcome it will be a new reality. During the last recession and the fall of the celtic tiger I worked, there were still shows, festivals, theatre work ect, the business while it claimed a few it still went forward, the shows still went on but this is a whole different ball game. Up until C19 it was a solid industry and in my head basing it on past events I thought again the show would go on. It survived foot and mouth, sars and numerous other threats that did have an effect but we overcame those with some yet minimal impact. Then not forgetting the unfortunate Bataclan attack in Paris, the mass shooting in Vegas, Manchester bombing during Ariana Grande....the lighting guy on that was Irish and I know him. We took this, heightend security and took all measures possible to prevent the likes of those attacks happening again and yet a bad flu for want of a term has shut us and so many others down, not an evil and vile attack but a virus.
    Where I'm coming from is, a lot out people not in the industry may see us as pissed and stoned hippys who get away in life but that is far from the truth, we are productive and creative and we move with the times and are easily able to adapt towards what is going on in the world when it comes to crowd safety, security protocols, along with safe working practices but at the moment we are not able to adapt because we are not allowed to.

I know we started off on bad footing, I just wanted to state that while having a covid payment is a blessing it isnt enough, we want to work and we want the government to allow us to work and work with us but we are not being given a chance and the cancellation of drive in shows has proven this, yet we can go to drive in movies and bingo games. And again, after almost 20 years of paying taxes and supporting myself, having a calender for 2 years being pulled clean out from under me is something that is very hard to comprehend and deal with.

Stay safe and well!

changeover wrote: »
    Your comments about getting another job are well founded and depending on the outcome it will be a new reality. During the last recession and the fall of the celtic tiger I worked, there were still shows, festivals, theatre work ect, the business while it claimed a few it still went forward, the shows still went on but this is a whole different ball game. Up until C19 it was a solid industry and in my head basing it on past events I thought again the show would go on. It survived foot and mouth, sars and numerous other threats that did have an effect but we overcame those with some yet minimal impact. Then not forgetting the unfortunate Bataclan attack in Paris, the mass shooting in Vegas, Manchester bombing during Ariana Grande....the lighting guy on that was Irish and I know him. We took this, heightend security and took all measures possible to prevent the likes of those attacks happening again and yet a bad flu for want of a term has shut us and so many others down, not an evil and vile attack but a virus.
    Where I'm coming from is, a lot out people not in the industry may see us as pissed and stoned hippys who get away in life but that is far from the truth, we are productive and creative and we move with the times and are easily able to adapt towards what is going on in the world when it comes to crowd safety, security protocols, along with safe working practices but at the moment we are not able to adapt because we are not allowed to.

I know we started off on bad footing, I just wanted to state that while having a covid payment is a blessing it isnt enough, we want to work and we want the government to allow us to work and work with us but we are not being given a chance and the cancellation of drive in shows has proven this, yet we can go to drive in movies and bingo games. And again, after almost 20 years of paying taxes and supporting myself, having a calender for 2 years being pulled clean out from under me is something that is very hard to comprehend and deal with.

Stay safe and well!

These big, and small, shows will be back again, hopefully sooner than later. There is too much demand for entertainment, and throughout history humans need to be entertained. Even if crowds have to be spared for a little bit longer, the act can still put on a performance with all its bells and whistles. People won’t accept current situation going on for much longer than rest of this year. On the jobs thing, majority of people, myself included, are just not capable of changing their professions once you go beyond a certain age. Especially after spending so long at it, and in this new world where you have to be on Instagram and all the other silly things, it just makes it all so much more difficult.
    I suppose things constantly change, this time last year nobody could have expected this. They will change again for the better.

Advertisement