Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1902 Cork World Exhibition - advice needed

• 13-05-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

(Wasn't sure whether to put this thread here or not, if it's in the wrong place then move away Mods)

I'm currently doing some research into the early Technical Education movement in Blackrock, particularly the old Blackrock Technical School and the Blackrock Technical Education Committee. I have been made aware that shortly after the school opened in 1902, the Royal Dublin Society sent a photographer to the school and took photos of the classrooms etc for the 1902 Cork World Exhibition. I am trying to find out whether any of these photos still exist, would anyone have any advice as to who I should talk to about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Not sure if the Royal Dublin Society still exists but if so they would probably be the people to talk to. Other places to look might be the newspaper archives and local research library, I can't imagine the Cork library not having some info from that exhibition unless there was an unfortunate accident or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Not sure if the Royal Dublin Society still exists but if so they would probably be the people to talk to. Other places to look might be the newspaper archives and local research library, I can't imagine the Cork library not having some info from that exhibition unless there was an unfortunate accident or something.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll do just that. Would the Royal Dublin Society not be the modern day RDS? I'm not too sure myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

Never heard of this one before. Found a few photos here, so perhaps Cork County Council (and City Council) have more in their archives.
    http://www.corkcity.ie/ourservices/recreationamenityculture/museum/exhibitionsatcorkpublicmuseum2005/mainbody,3345,en.html

It looks very similar to the 1907 Dublin International Exhibition which was held in Herbert Park, right beside the RDS.

The RDS library (http://www.rds.ie/index.jsp?p=104&n=155) may be a good place to start with your enquiries. They have genuine historical and cultural interests. Their page looks a bit more cerebral than the rest of the RDS site, which is mainly dedicated to its various revenue streams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, I think I'll do just that. Would the Royal Dublin Society not be the modern day RDS? I'm not too sure myself.

Was thinking it might be the RDS when typing, but I've never looked into what they do so wasn't sure what their relationship to a pre-independence RDS would be if you follow. It should make your search all the easier though, especially since as donaghs points out they have a library and so almost by default an archive section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bondy22

donaghs wrote: »
    Their page looks a bit more cerebral than the rest of the RDS site, which is mainly dedicated to its various revenue streams.
    THANK YOU donaghs!! I'm gobsmacked! :D I feel more "cerebral" now LOL

As for the RDS vs Royal Dublin Society question.
    They are the same, Royal Dublin Society is shortened RDS, likewise the Royal Irish Academy is shorten RIA, or the National Library of Ireland NLI.

The core of the Society is its Foundation activities, and that's the reason why it was founded in 1731.
    In recent years commercial activities have been added, mainly to fund the foundation activities and utilise the vast premises and grounds.
    The RDS is known to you all as a venue, but in fact it is a Society of Members whose main aim was and is "to improve the economy of Ireland through the development of agriculture, arts, industry, science and equestrianism" (hence the Horse Show).
    A bit of history if somebody is curious: http://www.rds.ie/index.jsp?p=104&n=151

As for the topic of this thread: The RDS Library has its Archives, currently being organized and catalogued.
    @Foxhound38: if you drop us a line with all the details you have, we could look for those photographs or try to find some information about this photographer who was sent to Cork.
    You could also come up here in Ballsbridge and start your own research. The Cork exhibition could be mentioned in the RDS Proceedings or Minutes books.
    You can write to librarydesk [at] rds [dot] ie

PS: Just for the records, I work in the RDS Library :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Bondy22 wrote: »
    THANK YOU donaghs!! I'm gobsmacked! :D I feel more "cerebral" now LOL

As for the RDS vs Royal Dublin Society question.
    They are the same, Royal Dublin Society is shortened RDS, likewise the Royal Irish Academy is shorten RIA, or the National Library of Ireland NLI.

The core of the Society is its Foundation activities, and that's the reason why it was founded in 1731.
    In recent years commercial activities have been added, mainly to fund the foundation activities and utilise the vast premises and grounds.
    The RDS is known to you all as a venue, but in fact it is a Society of Members whose main aim was and is "to improve the economy of Ireland through the development of agriculture, arts, industry, science and equestrianism" (hence the Horse Show).
    A bit of history if somebody is curious: http://www.rds.ie/index.jsp?p=104&n=151

As for the topic of this thread: The RDS Library has its Archives, currently being organized and catalogued.
    @Foxhound38: if you drop us a line with all the details you have, we could look for those photographs or try to find some information about this photographer who was sent to Cork.
    You could also come up here in Ballsbridge and start your own research. The Cork exhibition could be mentioned in the RDS Proceedings or Minutes books.
    You can write to librarydesk [at] rds [dot] ie

PS: Just for the records, I work in the RDS Library :)

That is very helpful Bondy, thank you. The info I'm getting is from old Technical Education Committee Minutes from 1902. I'll compile the information that I have here and drop ye a line. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bondy22

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I'll compile the information that I have here and drop ye a line. :)
    Great! I'll inform my colleague down in the Archives then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

I do recall the Cork City library ran an exhibition of this a few yrs ago which was part of what was held in the Cork City museum in the former site of the exhibition, you should contact both of them I’m sure they will be more than delighted to assist. I recall from this that it was held in the now Fitzgerald’s Park renamed after the Lord mayor of that time who promoted the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

From the Cork City Council article, this picture amazes me. This building is where the current museum stands, and extends through the cricket field, and the UCC sports grounds. How the hell did this building get removed? It's beautiful!

media,3339,en.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭donaghs

In a similar vein, allegedly this was in the middle of Herbert Park in Ballsbridge in Dublin!

The pond on left is still there today. Perhaps very light building materials were used to create a facade effect. And these structures were not actually built to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

As far as I know there was film of the Cork 1902 exposition found in an attic in Huddersfield in the UK.
    It was displayed in the museum in Fitzgerald Park about 2 years ago. It also showed scenes from around Cork in 1902 also.

I think the museum in Fitzgeralds Park is closed for the medium term due to the flooding last November.

Advertisement