Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whyte's April Auction - Many items of Republican interest

Options
  • 09-04-2010 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Whyte's Auction House of Molesworth Street, Dublin, are holding another of their sales of Irish Historical & Collectors items on the 23rd April. There's something for everybody amongst the 530+ lots including: Irish political material from the War of Independence era, medals, militaria, coins and banknotes, lithographic transport posters, books (incl.signed works by Brendan Behan etc), sporting programmes (GAA and soccer), photographs, stamp collections .....and for the collector who has everything there are sets of keys from the Long Kesh H-Blocks! A fully searchable catalogue is online here: http://www.whytes.ie/4OnlineCatalogue1.asp but despite the low estimates on some items, and the recession, bring a fat wallet or credit card with you. :D

The only item that struck me as problematical is the 'Circa 200BC Iron Age carved stone head found near Claudy, Co. Derry' - pic below - as I would have thought that the NI authorities might object to this sale

001.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Nice. Thanks. I have two old $5 Fenian Bonds that were sold in the US to raise funds in the 1860's that I want to sell through Whytes once the economy improves a little.

I loev that stone head. I wonder if its genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Wow.

I want...

Lot 255

2 Sir John Lavery portrait (prints) of michael collins and arthur griffith.

lot 279

1930's Irish free state officers uniform. I think i'd look good in it.

Lot 301

Public phone from the maze. What a weird thing to own.

and

lot 114

19thc flag. Gold harp on blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Lot 142
    1912. Sinking of the Titanic. Memorial sheet music of The Band Played "Nearer my God to Thee" As the ship went down

Can't imagine owning anything more macabre than that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I really like the head....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

I really like the head....

It looks like a Sontaran from Doctor Who.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭heartofarebel

Hi, just joined so I hope I'm doing this right. I have a scrapbook, original photos and postcards form 1916-1923 that belonged to Vinny Byrne of the GHQ squad. The scrapbook alone was valued at €800-€1000 this week. I have a private dealer interested in it. Can anybody tell me if it is better to go to auction or sell private. What are the pros and cons of both. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Hi, just joined so I hope I'm doing this right. I have a scrapbook, original photos and postcards form 1916-1923 that belonged to Vinny Byrne of the GHQ squad. The scrapbook alone was valued at €800-€1000 this week. I have a private dealer interested in it. Can anybody tell me if it is better to go to auction or sell private. What are the pros and cons of both. Thanks

The dealer will pay you a fraction of what it's worth to a private collector. Direct sale to a private collector will cut out the auction house and the dealer.

There is also the very real chance that the dealer will split the item and sell them off one by one scattering them to the four winds forever. I have sent you a pm about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Without wishing to cut across you Morlar I suspect that Whyte's is the best place to sell this collection with a reserve. There's nothing like an auction, with a reserve, to test the market before considering a private sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭heartofarebel

Thanks all advice is welcome. Helps to make up my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

edit...

Oops, posted in the wrong thread..

• Advertisement
Advertisement