Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why did O'Connell fail to achieve repeal?

Options
  • 23-02-2006 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, hopefully some of you can help me out a bit on this essay I'm doing.

I'm not looking for you to write it up or anything, just to give some extra points and I'll research it myself a bit more. I've got a fair few points as it is, but I can't seem to flesh it out, so anything extra would be great :)

As it stands, it's like this...

Introduction

P1:
    Peel undermined the movement... dichotomous approach:
    (a) passed arms act
    (b) garisoned troops in Ireland
    (c) categorically refused to grant
    but
    (d) devon commission
    (e) charitable bequests act
    (f) money to church
    (g) colleges bill

P2:
    O'Connell misjudged the situation...
    (a) met with less sympathy than emancipation
    (b) peel not as generous as duke of wellington
    [this needs more]

P3:
    On top of Britain, problems in Ireland...
    (a) Protestants opposed to it
    (b) catholics not unanimously supportive [can't find out why this is -- any help? need to add more to this paragraph too]

P4:
    O'Connell's influence began to dwindle also...
    (a) refused to turn to violence, so people frustrated
    (b) getting old, out of ideas
    (c) young irelanders' arrival -- sweep support from O'C

Conclusion

I actually have more there than I thought I did :) Anything else is appreciated!

And of course, discuss anything related to the topic if ye so choose!

Thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

(b) catholics not unanimously supportive [can't find out why this is -- any help? need to add more to this paragraph too]
    -- He had huge support. As with any revolution (Perhaps not the right word?), there are others with a different means of achieving the same goal or different goals (See: People's Front of Judea) in mind. In 1843, the Contarf meeting was banned and he was seen to have backed down/lose steam (Ties in tightly with P4, I think.). Also, crops were starting to fail, so the Catholic farmers attentions were diverted somewhat.

Advertisement