Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

David McWilliams is a pop star economist.

He is there to sell a story...not deliver any meaningful economic advice.or insights.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

How will this impact the cohort of first-time buyers reliant on the bank of mom and dad for deposits?

If the parents pension fund is invested in property funds and their pension fund is now expected to worth much less than they thought and then the Government starts to take an ever bigger share of the family home under the fair deal scheme, which means little left for an actual inheritance, will the parents become more reluctant or unable to help out their kids going forward?

why dont we just create our own financial institutions to finance the building ourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

How will this impact the cohort of first-time buyers reliant on the bank of mom and dad for deposits?

?

They are going to have to do as other people do, stand on their own two feet!

Pelezico wrote: »
    David McWilliams is a pop star economist.

He is there to sell a story...not deliver any meaningful economic advice.or insights.

his idea of accepting partly payment of corporation tax as stock and shares, then utilizing sovereign wealth funds from there, makes a lot of sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

If the parents pension fund is invested in property funds and their pension fund is now expected to worth much less than they thought and then the Government starts to take an ever bigger share of the family home under the fair deal scheme, which means little left for an actual inheritance, will the parents become more reluctant or unable to help out their kids going forward?

The argument to support commercial property price falling supports residential property rise.

People will need bigger spaces to WFH (so if you have a spare room your going to keep it instead of renting it out), better broadband... this creates demand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Pelezico wrote: »
    They are better off with lower taxes.

But the construction industry in UK contracted severely during Covid19.
    Liverpool Docklands ( including the new 500 million pound football stadium ) will provide a lot of construction jobs over the next 5 years.
    Johnson has publicly stated he wants to get the construction industry going again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Cyrus wrote: »
    Are we even technically in recession yet ? Didn’t think we were.

If so to refer to it as the mother of them all is a little hyperbolic imo.

Well according to the FED it’s the worst recession since the crash of 1920
    The central Bank of England is saying it will be the worst recession in 300 years
    The Irish Central Bank says the worst recession since the foundation of the state
    The ECB saying the worst recession in peacetime in the last 100 years
    Someone somewhere is doing the maths and is either totally off the mark or bang on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

ebayissues wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced that WFH will change drastically. if covid is here to stay maybe. but vaccinee hopefully should be out in 2yrs time and things will be back to normal. When this happens, WFH would be once/twice per week.
    When you say once/twice a week, it doesn't sound a lot, but that's 20%/40% less occupancy. That's easily enough for companies to want to go for hotdesking and move to 20%/40% less rented floor space. Having demand drop by up to 40% is pretty huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

They are going to have to do as other people do, stand on their own two feet!

I agree with you but I can see how this is going to come back and bite me and other older people. As all pension funds (public and private), are basically PAYG ponzi schemes, if the younger cohort must save more for a deposit on a home as we can't or become more reluctant to help them out, they will obviously cut their own pension fund contributions, which means less current cash in my pension fund to meet my payments.

I agree with you but I can see how this is going to come back and bite me and other older people. As all pension funds (public and private), are basically PAYG ponzi schemes, if the younger cohort must save more for a deposit on a home as we can't or become more reluctant to help them out, they will obviously cut their own pension fund contributions, which means less current cash in my pension fund to meet my payments.

....and when private sector financial institutions experience a reduction in demand for credit, expect things to get very hairy indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

brisan wrote: »
    Liverpool Docklands ( including the new 500 million pound football stadium ) will provide a lot of construction jobs over the next 5 years.
    Johnson has publicly stated he wants to get the construction industry going again

I hope you are right. We need HS2, Hinkley Point, Sizewell and a while host of urban regeneration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Blowfish wrote: »
    When you say once/twice a week, it doesn't sound a lot, but that's 20%/40% less occupancy. That's easily enough for companies to want to go for hotdesking and move to 20%/40% less rented floor space. Having demand drop by up to 40% is pretty huge.

WFH may be more of a reconfiguration than a reduction in office space. Traditional companies often tend to own there own office space. People will still be expected to go into the office 2 days a week any people I see WFH are doing this. This will not equate to a 40% reduction in office space.

If you are WFH in general you will not want to attend Monday or Friday, most will veer towards Tuesday to Thursday in the office. While room for desks may reduce there will be a bigger demand for meeting rooms.

Companies will not want young sales people.meeting customers in there dingy two bed apartment.

Slava Ukrainii

WFH may be more of a reconfiguration than a reduction in office space. Traditional companies often tend to own there own office space. People will still be expected to go into the office 2 days a week any people I see WFH are doing this. This will not equate to a 40% reduction in office space.

If you are WFH in general you will not want to attend Monday or Friday, most will veer towards Tuesday to Thursday in the office. While room for desks may reduce there will be a bigger demand for meeting rooms.

Companies will not want young sales people.meeting customers in there dingy two bed apartment.

But wouldn't that mean that all the small businesses (e.g. shops, restaurants, pubs etc.) that are reliant on the workers in these office spaces see a reduction in 'potential' customers in the order of 30% - 50%.

If the footfall on Grafton Street fell permanently by 30% - 50%, I'm sure the retailers on that street would start to demand significant reductions in rent.

This would impact rental yields and then the capital values of those premises. That then impacts on the ability of those landlords to meet any loan repayments on those properties or if it's a pension fund, it's ability to meet their obligations to their pension fund holders.

But wouldn't that mean that all the small businesses (e.g. shops, restaurants, pubs etc.) that are reliant on the workers in these office spaces see a reduction in 'potential' customers in the order of 30% - 50%.

If the footfall on Grafton Street fell permanently by 30% - 50%, I'm sure the retailers on that street would start to demand significant reductions in rent.

This would impact rental yields and then the capital values of those premises. That then impacts on the ability of those landlords to meet any loan repayments on those properties or if it's a pension fund, it's ability to meet their obligations to their pension fund holders.

The converse is that the restaurants where people live (who now wfh) will see increase demand so prices of premises will increase peripherally while decreasing centrally

Yes it may during the day, but workers working from home may start earlier in the morning finish earlier and go go into town early in the next evening to mix socially. Workers may have more spending power due to less travel expenses. There day in the office may be only 3-5 hours with a few hours shopping in town. To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    Neither did I say there would not be reductions in rent yields but rather that the reduction in space for commercial activities in the city center may not be as large as many think

Slava Ukrainii

JJJackal wrote: »
    The converse is that the restaurants where people live (who now wfh) will see increase demand so prices of premises will increase peripherally while decreasing centrally

That's true. But I think a lot of the discretionary spend in the City is from a spur of the moment decision e.g. after work drinks, lunch with the team etc. In relation to retailers, the main benefit of shopping in a city is a lot of local shops in close proximity to each other so you can browse many different products fairly quickly and choose which one to buy.

If more people are WFH, they're more likely to order any products they require through Amazon etc. than increase their spending in their local e.g. handbag or perfume shop.

That's true. But I think a lot of the discretionary spend in the City is from a spur of the moment decision e.g. after work drinks, lunch with the team etc. In relation to retailers, the main benefit of shopping in a city is a lot of local shops in close proximity to each other so you can browse many different products fairly quickly and choose which one to buy.

If more people are WFH, they're more likely to order any products they require through Amazon etc. than increase their spending in their local e.g. handbag or perfume shop.

Clothes etc tend to be more browse and spend, white goods tend to be more focused on value and Amazon is more electronic and small good's

Part of the attraction of clothes online is the ability with established shops to return free if charge to the local store. Therefore you can order 3-4 items of different sizes or similar types and drop back the ones you do not want. These shops live with the return costs With complete online shopping return costs are a factor that have to be allowed for by the consumer.

WFH will require more living space. A young couple if both are working from home will no longer be happy with a one bed apartment with a single dining/living space. Dermot Bannon's open plan designs will be a thing of the past. If you are on the phone to a customer or manager, your partner/flatmate having a chat and going through the gory details with a workmate on the phone about the last night out will be an issue.

More space equals more costs. The high flying legal eagle may be happy to work from home 1-2 days a week but he still want his office when he goes in. No hotdesking for him

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Clothes etc tend to be more browse and spend, white goods tend to be more focused on value and Amazon is more electronic and small good's

Part of the attraction of clothes online is the ability with established shops to return free if charge to the local store. Therefore you can order 3-4 items of different sizes or similar types and drop back the ones you do not want. These shops live with the return costs With complete online shopping return costs are a factor that have to be allowed for by the consumer.

WFH will require more living space. A young couple if both are working from home will no longer be happy with a one bed apartment with a single dining/living space. Dermot Bannon's open plan designs will be a thing of the past. If you are on the phone to a customer or manager, your partner/flatmate having a chat and going through the gory details with a workmate on the phone about the last night out will be an issue.

More space equals more costs. The high flying legal eagle may be happy to work from home 1-2 days a week but he still want his office when he goes in. No hotdesking for him

GDPR is also an issue. Anyone handling sensitive data needs the space that its held in fully documented. Hotdesking would be likely a no-no.

All good points. But even if there's only a 10% permanent drop in the daily footfall, that impacts the value of all properties in the city, office, retail etc.

More importantly, for my perspective anyway, the banks and pension funds seem to have significant funds invested in this space and I'm just concerned for my pension, as I don't see suburban properties making up the shortfall.

Even if suburban properties increased in value, the pension funds probably don't have the equity in their existing city centre property portfolios to gear up and invest in them. Instead of investing in more property, they're more likely to be taking losses in the near future as they will probably need to offload their prime properties to meet redemption requests etc.

If all pension funds are in a similar situation and the banks are not in a position to lend, who will take them? Maybe the so-called vulture funds, but I read that many of them are already looking to get out of this space. Even if they did enter, the pension funds and banks will most likely take a significant hit either way.

For example, back in January, Aviva stopped investors from taking money out of their Irish property funds with a "combined value of €940 million", and that was pre-covid:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/aviva-stops-investors-from-taking-money-out-of-irish-property-funds-1.4157574#:~:text=Aviva%20Life%20%26%20Pensions%20Ireland%20moved,investor%20seeking%20their%20money%20back

An Ri rua wrote: »
    GDPR is also an issue. Anyone handling sensitive data needs the space that its held in fully documented. Hotdesking would be likely a no-no.

It's a bit like when computers were first being put into offices, all the talk was the end of printers and paper documents. Now at a presentation everybody gets a hard copy of the presentation. 30 years ago everybody bought a notebook and biro to take down details

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

All good points. But even if there's only a 10% permanent drop in the daily footfall, that impacts the value of all properties in the city, office, retail etc.

More importantly, for my perspective anyway, the banks and pension funds seem to have significant funds invested in this space and I'm just concerned for my pension, as I don't see suburban properties making up the shortfall.

Even if suburban properties increased in value, the pension funds probably don't have the equity in their existing city centre property portfolios to gear up and invest in them. Instead of investing in more property, they're more likely to be taking losses in the near future as they will probably need to offload their prime properties to meet redemption requests etc.

If all pension funds are in a similar situation and the banks are not in a position to lend, who will take them? Maybe the so-called vulture funds, but I read that many of them are already looking to get out of this space. Even if they did enter, the pension funds and banks will most likely take a significant hit either way.

For example, back in January, Aviva stopped investors from taking money out of their Irish property funds with a "combined value of €940 million", and that was pre-covid:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/aviva-stops-investors-from-taking-money-out-of-irish-property-funds-1.4157574#:~:text=Aviva%20Life%20%26%20Pensions%20Ireland%20moved,investor%20seeking%20their%20money%20back

The reason IL and other property funds closed withdrawal's was a prices were quite strong and assets were leaverged withdrawal's was going to the encompass more leaverging to pay for withdrawals.

This was one of the reasons for the 2007-12 property busts there was a lot of highly leaverged funds which when pressure came on had to be hand d back to the banks.Everything is cyclical to am an extent. If outflows are exceedingly inflows I. Property you have to take action, it much the same with in any fund.

Now may be a bad time to change the nature of you.pension fundost factors are factored in already

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I've been hoping to find commercial space in Dublin for an office/ workshop and there's little or nothing available. Does anyone know when all this cheap office space is going to hit the market that McWilliams is talking about?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-it-is-time-for-a-major-property-reset-1.4329527?mode=amp

The reason IL and other property funds closed withdrawal's was a prices were quite strong and assets were leaverged withdrawal's was going to the encompass more leaverging to pay for withdrawals.

This was one of the reasons for the 2007-12 property busts there was a lot of highly leaverged funds which when pressure came on had to be hand d back to the banks.Everything is cyclical to am an extent. If outflows are exceedingly inflows I. Property you have to take action, it much the same with in any fund.

Now may be a bad time to change the nature of you.pension fundost factors are factored in already

Good point. It probably is a bad time to change the nature of a pension fund.

But, if this is a fundamental shift in the nature of the economy and WFH does become a significant component of the workplace in the near to medium term, would it be like sticking with the investment in the horse and cart company just as Henry Ford is revving up production of the Model T?

Is there more to lose by sticking with a pension fund that has a significant percentage of its investments in such an asset class or getting out now and taking that loss instead of a potential wipeout in the medium term?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Good point. It probably is a bad time to change the nature of a pension fund.

But, if this is a fundamental shift in the nature of the economy and WFH does become a significant component of the workplace in the near to medium term, would it be like sticking with the investment in the horse and cart company just as Henry Ford is revving up production of the Model T?

Is there more to lose by sticking with a pension fund that has a significant percentage of its investments in such an asset class or getting out now and taking that loss instead of a potential wipeout in the medium term?

ILAC irish life canada life what ever the call themselves theses days are brutal fund managers. Sh1t returns high charges with a smile.

Taking your losses now if history is anything to go by means you avoid the worst of it. Look at Irish equity funds back in the day there is some pension funds who are still not back to where they were in 2007.

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    I've been hoping to find commercial space in Dublin for an office/ workshop and there's little or nothing available. Does anyone know when all this cheap office space is going to hit the market that McWilliams is talking about?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-it-is-time-for-a-major-property-reset-1.4329527?mode=amp

Try down the IFSC. There is nothing but small empty retail / office spaces there for the past 10 years. I think the problem is that if the owner is highly leveraged or is using that property as security for another loan, they can't reduce the asking rent as then they would crystallize a loss on the value of their investment property.

My understanding is that most investment properties are valued at their rental yield (real or perceived). If they reduce the rent, the value of the investment property automatically drops and they may be breaking loan covenants etc. It's kind of a pretend and extend game played by the banks and pension funds. They would rather keep them empty and pretend the value on their books is the real world value.

I'm not sure they can keep this game going forever, kind of like all those empty apartments in Ballsbridge with an asking rent of €4,000 a month but mostly empty. Maybe this Covid thing will force them to open up about the true value of their investment properties?

Try down the IFSC. There is nothing but small empty retail / office spaces there for the past 10 years. I think the problem is that if the owner is highly leveraged or is using that property as security for another loan, they can't reduce the asking rent as then they would crystallize a loss on the value of their investment property.

My understanding is that most investment properties are valued at their rental yield (real or perceived). If they reduce the rent, the value of the investment property automatically drops and they may be breaking loan covenants etc. It's kind of a pretend and extend game played by the banks and pension funds. They would rather keep them empty and pretend the value on their books is the real world value.

I'm not sure they can keep this game going forever, kind of like all those empty apartments in Ballsbridge with an asking rent of €4,000 a month but mostly empty. Maybe this Covid thing will force them to open up about the true value of their investment properties?

in a nutshell fake till you make it. Look at the value of companies. In the past it was earning now is gone hairwire.

There are currently 22 apartments in Ballsbridge on daft for 4000 plus.

Some are like 15,000 which makes me think that there is something very different about some of them! There wont me alot of demand for some of these even at the best of times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Saving the shekels right now and can't wait for the arse to fall out of the end of this market. There's only so long FFG can artificially prop it up

Some are like 15,000 which makes me think that there is something very different about some of them! There wont me alot of demand for some of these even at the best of times

Saw one for 10k a rental. Its been there for maybe 10 months. Over time we may see the day when its 5k

• Advertisement

There's probably far more than 22 apartments asking in that price range. For example, if there are 20 two-beds for rent in the one block, they only advertise one on Daft as they're all similar, but there's really 20 for rent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement