Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJsLSxCuoQ

I always fund this video interesting, if you look very closely you can make it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

this guy pulls up and asks for one?

Must have been lost in translation. You big tease.

Ah Paris, city of romance.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Shryke wrote: »

If I was cynical, and I am, I would say that they spike the odd person for effect. The look on the guides face might have been because he knew you were in bits but you were pretending to be grand.

I'd say that is highly unlikely. Fairly sure it is illegal
    and if they spiked someone who had an allergic reaction to it or was on other medication that interacted with it, they would be in serious trouble.

Nothing in comparison to some of the other stories here but still pretty unnerving. Ten years ago I was living in Paris. Two of us shared a studio just off the Champs Élysées. I was walking up Rue Rivoli home from the Latin quarter , just beside the Louvre. I was fairly well on, I think I was coming from a Christmas party for the remaining ex-pats.

I was smoking a fag and this guy pulls up and asks for one? I told him it was my last one but there's a 24 hour tobacco shop up the road. He asked me if I wanted a lift there? I said grand as the tobacco shop was less than a five minute walk from home and I needed fags. We're going down a back street and I say the shop is just down that road there, pointing. He keeps on driving, I have never sobered up so quickly in my life. I didn't know what to do, I thought if I put up a fight he might do something extreme, if I tried to crash the car, I might die.

Eventually we come go into an underground car park in an apartment block, I'm totally bricking it now. We get into a lift, he presses a button for whatever floor, the moment the lift moves I hit zero, the door opens, he rubs my face and asks if I'm sure? I peg it out of the apartment block and I have no idea where in Paris I am.

I eventually found a metro station and made my way home. It was a very scary experience. I really should have gone to the cops and I still don't know why I didn't.

Why didn't you run the second you got out of the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Shryke wrote: »

If I was cynical, and I am, I would say that they spike the odd person for effect. The look on the guides face might have been because he knew you were in bits but you were pretending to be grand.

He didn't have a chance though. We got chocolate or something going in but I gave it to my boyfriend. They make a song and dance about spirits overwhelm.ing people, but I was the shortest there by about 6 inches and the smell was really terrible. Like, rot, stagnant water and just stale dank air. I wasn't going to give him his drama for the next group anyway! In the end, I just said that I had too much to drink and wasn't feeling great. I hadn't had a drop at that stage, but I am too stubborn to admit otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Happened to my grand father too. . Years ago in the 40's In kerry. Taking a short cut thru the fields From a neighbours on a clear night . Went thru a field where there was a big mound of rocks or cairn . Could not get out of the field . He heard old tale bout turning his jacket inside out but it did no good . He had heard of it before so stayed put till sunrise . No probs then . Man told me about it do details are scarce .
    He always walked the road after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Happened to my grand father too. . Years ago in the 40's In kerry. Taking a short cut thru the fields From a neighbours on a clear night . Went thru a field where there was a big mound of rocks or cairn . Could not get out of the field . He heard old tale bout turning his jacket inside out but it did no good . He had heard of it before so stayed put till sunrise . No probs then . Man told me about it do details are scarce .
    He always walked the road after that

what part of kerry any idea?

haha l was gonna leave the light on too but l said ld leave the radio on instead...thankfully we have carpet instead of wooded floors :D

We have wood everywhere :\

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Years ago was was cycling up the road and my sister and her two friends were outside her friends house in a bit of a panic, they said someone was in the house making weird noises....so I being the brave brother laughed and went into the house and entered the sitting room, I heard a sneaky laughing coming from the back of the sofa, which was wedged against the wall, no one could fit in behind there :eek:
    The hairs on my neck jumped up, I ran like **** out of the house and got on my bike....my sister said the house always had a weird vibe

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    We have wood everywhere :\

ah sh1t...:p

• Advertisement

what part of kerry any idea?
    Towards glencar i believe . Gortloughra

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Towards glencar i believe . Gortloughra

well far away from me so :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Why didn't you run the second you got out of the car?

The car park had electronic gates which closed. I probably should have ran on multiple occasions but I was too scared incase he did something violent, at least out of the car, I could peg it as I was fit enough.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Absolutley class thread great reading and plenty of shivers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The car park had electronic gates which closed. I probably should have ran on multiple occasions but I was too scared incase he did something violent, at least out of the car, I could peg it as I was fit enough.

I aint being smart, but do you think there might be a chance he thought you were on the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Quazzie wrote: »
    I aint being smart, but do you think there might be a chance he thought you were on the game?

That's what I thought reading it. But still, bit presumptuous of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Sometimes my old radio would pick up on pilots heading to Shannon- always at 11am on a sat morning I'd hear "cabin crew prepare for landing" and such :D I loved it! Mind you I wouldn't have if I'd heard "mayday!"

This happened to my friend's boyfriend's colleague's friend so it's prob an urban legend but still such a freaky story:

This girl was working in Paris one summer and she would get the metro back to where she was living. Anyway the metro is quite dodgy at night and she was nervous enough being in a practically empty carriage.

There is only one other passenger, a middle-aged man reading a newspaper.

Two guys get on at the first stop. They're obviously drunk or on something and the girl feels immediately frightened. Worse again, they're carrying a girl between them, propping her up and dragging her to a seat opposite the Irish girl.

Now the girl with the two guys is out of it on drink or drugs. She keeps lolling forwards, she's glassy-eyed and the guys keep picking her up. They make her lean back and she spends the journey staring at the Irish girl.

These guys are dog rough and she feels very intimidated by the trio. She doesn't know especially when the girl's gonna snap out of it and she hates the way she's staring at her.

At the next stop the middle-aged man gets up and sits next to her. She wonders what the hell he's playing at.

Behind his newspaper, he says to her in English "get out at the next station, trust me".

The girl is terrified. She can trust no one on this train. She thinks if she does do what the man says she can make a run for it to her flat, the next station is open air and not too far from where she lives.

She gets out and runs like hell. The man chases after her, shouting "stop! Stop!"

He catches up with her and it takes her a while to calm down and listen.

"I'm sorry I frightened you," the man says. "You were in danger from those people.

"You see, I'm a doctor. The girl with those men- she wasn't drunk. She was dead."

I couldn't sleep the first time I heard that story!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Quazzie wrote: »

It's a possibility, I knew I shouldn't have worn those stockings :pac:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

DeVore wrote: »
    When I broke my leg (thigh bone) I had to be put into skeletal-traction. The only way to do this is to put a steel bar through your shin and use it to stretch the leg out. So I consented to having my shin drilled. The problem was, the doctor wouldnt give me any more anesthetic or knock me out (because I was loaded up on morpheine as it was). So, they had to drill my shin while I was conscious and by reports, screaming blue murder. They gave me a memory-wipe drug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midazolam) after the fact and to this day I cant remember anything of the event. I have the signed document of consent and the recollections of people who were there.... but for me, its like that part of the experience just got fast forwarded.

I woke up in a hospital bed with a bar through my shin and weights attached to it in the middle of the night. Not something I recommend.

Something similar

Back in 1999 I was in a car accident and ended up being airlifted from Waterford Regional Hospital to the Mater hospital with a neck injury. I was told I would have to get a 'Halo'. Like you the only way they could do this was by drilling into my skull while I was awake. I was given no drugs at all as they need me to be fully conscious. This was so they could monitor for any side effects to where they were drilling. They had to drill 4 holes in total, then bolt on a 'Halo' and then hang 13lb weight at the back of it.

It was one of the most horrendous things in my life and still to this day I can remember every bit of it.

Roisy7 wrote: »
    Sometimes my old radio would pick up on pilots heading to Shannon- always at 11am on a sat morning I'd hear "cabin crew prepare for landing" and such :D I loved it! Mind you I wouldn't have if I'd heard "mayday!"

This happened to my friend's boyfriend's colleague's friend so it's prob an urban legend but still such a freaky story:

This girl was working in Paris one summer and she would get the metro back to where she was living. Anyway the metro is quite dodgy at night and she was nervous enough being in a practically empty carriage.

Two guys get on at the first stop. They're obviously drunk or on something and the girl feels immediately frightened. Worse again, they're carrying a girl between them, propping her up and dragging her to a seat opposite the Irish girl.

Now the girl with the two guys is out of it on drink or drugs. She keeps lolling forwards, she's glassy-eyed and the guys keep picking her up. They make her lean back and she spends the journey staring at the Irish girl.

These guys are dog rough and she feels very intimidated by the trio. She doesn't know especially when the girl's gonna snap out of it and she hates the way she's staring at her.

At the next stop the middle-aged man gets up and sits next to her. She wonders what the hell he's playing at.

Behind his newspaper, he says to her in English "get out at the next station, trust me".

The girl is terrified. She can trust no one on this train. She thinks if she does do what the man says she can make a run for it to her flat, the next station is open air and not too far from where she lives.

She gets out and runs like hell. The man chases after her, shouting "stop! Stop!"

"I'm sorry I frightened you," the man says. "You were in danger from those people.

"You see, I'm a doctor. The girl with those men- she wasn't drunk. She was dead."

While reading this I thought maybe the middle-aged man might have been dangerous too. Surprised she stopped for him. Thank God she followed his advice though and that he told her to get off in the first place. That story is sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TheUsual wrote: »
    Ah Paris, city of romance.
    Ok not creepy or unnerving, but I went to Paris on a school trip and I knew my way around the place to a really odd degree. Mates and teachers were "wut da fuq?" about it and commented on it after for months. We were looking for various places and I was like "oh yea its up this street on the left" kinda thing. One day when we were all left to our own devices to explore I even helped two lost groups back to our pickup point. I didn't particularly like the place TBH, but I found myself very comfortable in knowing where I was. Now maybe it was all those hours of watching French flics on late night Beeb2 and Channel 4 hoping to catch a shot of a French actresses unclothed decolletage* and I picked it up subconsciously, but when I got home it kinda freaked me out a little bit.

Not my tale, rather a mate of mine who claims he saw bigfoot/sasquatch. He's a Canadian by birth and a very rational guy with a strong science background. No hippie digging crystal healing is he(to the point where he'd suck the life from an anecdote by bringing in dry "facts"). Anyway, as he relates it, he and a mate were visiting another ex college mate deep in the Canadian hinterlands for a spot of trout fishing one summer. This place was well remote. Teeny "village", more like a loose settlement of people hundreds of miles from pretty much anywhere. Cut off in the winter kinda place.

Annnyhooo... They decide to go up this river and follow it into an area the local lad hadn't tried as the fishing was very good. Fly fishing types tend not to stand on top of each other, so they were quite separated at times. This lad goes up a tributary that looks very "fishy" and he gets a fair few hundred yards/metres away from the nearest fellow angler. He's getting into some decent fish and can see signs of better so keeps on concentrating on his task.

He's fishing a nice wide pool full of taking fish and his attention kept being slightly drawn to a tree stump on his left about 20feet/6 odd metres away. He noted in hindsight that this was odd as it was a bloody forest so tree stumps not exactly rare... He kept casting and waiting to strike. Then he took one step forward into the pool and the "stump" stood up. :eek:

He said the "stump" stood up and looked at him. Now he's a big lad, 6'5+ and he said it was his around his height. Not 11 foot tall or any of that guff. He said it kinda looked like a gorilla only not nearly as bulky, like a well built man with an apes head. Not shaggy fur either, quite short, very dark in colour. The face was hard to make out because of it being dark all over.

For what seemed like an age, but he reckons 3 or 4 minutes anyway they both stood there rooted to the spot. Just looking at each other. He got the stron feeling of "ok you're grand, but no further" from it. Not a threat but defo a statement of some sort. Then when he started to collect his thoughts and look more, it turned around and calmly walked off into the brush barely making a sound. At that point he says tears started to flow down his face. He said it was because of fear yea, but mostly the real very visceral shock of seeing something that wasn't human walking away on two legs just like you or me and he said it was just like you or me when it walked. No giant strides or any of that, no "apelike" gait, just a normal purposeful walk(he didn't notice the size of the feet. I asked :)).

Now he had a handgun with him as there was always the threat of bear(though remote that one would actually cause you hassle), but he didn't think of using it. He admitted he barely realised he had it and even if he did he says he probably wouldn't have used it.

He backed down the river back to his mates. He thinks he heard it following at a respectful distance for a time. When he told them they initially laughed it off, but seeing his face and deadly earnest and knowing him as I do, they then hightailed it out of there.

When they got back to the local guys gaff they had a confab, but it came to nought. Subsequently the local guy a while later mentioned this in passing to one of the old guys in this settlement and he said he wasn't that surprised as he had seen one twice in his time in the backwoods in similar "this is my territory" situations(once not far from this guys encounter) and the native Canadian guys and gals took it very seriously(though they saw it as a "spiritual" thing), but that they were rarer now.

Year later the guy swears what he saw was what he saw. Being of a rational bent he thinks maybe it was a hallucination brought on by some recent stress in his life, but that it was the weirdest and most vivid effin hallucination ever. He's subsequently asked peeps in tune with the native legends about such things and apparently to see one is a portent to check and rebalance your life and he did so...

For my part I did a shamanistic "trip" involving chanting and guides and "herbs" and we aint talking Amsterdam's finest... I even "met God". Nice chap, very warm, very friendly, GSOH answered all questions etc. FYI Ladies on that score God is a real catch. :D Anyway as part of the process I found/was chosen by a "spirit guide" too, but it was a bloody Robin Redbreast. And he gets an effin Bigfoot? I demand a bloody refund.

*this was pre interweb donkeypron on tap for the younger viewers. An innocent time when the sight of a red triangle in the corner of the screen on late night CH4 would arouse teenaged boys(and girls). To this day some road signs get me going. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

That just sent shivers down my spine. This thread is amazing however I reckon it's likely I'll be having another disturbed sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

This girl was working in Paris one summer and she would get the metro back to where she was living...

Definitely an urban legend. Great story though!

Good link if ye have time to read though I'd rather like to dismiss some of these stories as legends rather than thinking they are partially true!
    http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/Truth-behind-some-spooky-urban-legends-revealed-105753293.html?mob-ua=Y

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

Pretty much been reading these stories during any free period of time I've had today... Safe to say I am typing from under the duvet, with the radio blaring and most of the lights left on in the house.

Shinaynay wrote: »
    Pretty much been reading these stories during any free period of time I've had today... Safe to say I am typing from under the duvet, with the radio blaring and most of the lights left on in the house.

l have to go downstairs in the dark to switch off the broad band :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

my story is a little long and perhaps sounds a bit unbelievable , well it sounds unbelievable to me and it happened to me!

A couple of years ago i headed up to Cavan for a days lake fishing with a mate of mine, at the time I was training for a Triathlon and was sort of addicted to the training, so half hoping that the fishing would be slow I took my swimming gear with me so I could get an hours swim in.

Well we arrived at Whitewood lake and sure enough after a couple of hours there was nothing doing on the fishing front, so I walked around the lake for my swim, far away from my friend who was still fishing away (so i wouldnt disturb his fishing ) I got into the water and it was that pitch dark that lakes usually are, and the water is strange, you expect it to be salty or chlorine but the taste startled me so perhaps this strangeness, the darkness and the brackish taste of the water had an effect in my mind regarding what I "saw" later.

Well I began to swim and as anyone who's ever been into long distance sports, or any repetitive activity I soon zoned out, just concentrating on my stroke and getting into that "numb" brain stage. So I was literally just repeating in my mind my stroke, focussed on my technique and my breathing when, very suddenly I got a sharp sharp image of a woman deep beneath me under the water, drowned but looking up at me with her eyes open. I swear i've never gotten such a fright in my life - I could see the image for about 4 or 5 seconds, this woman looking at me from deep under the water. I nearly swallowed a huge gulp of lake water, i was terrified. It didn't feel good at all, the water didn't feel safe. I got a real sense of being somewhere I shouldn't be. So obviously as most sane people would do I turned around and swam the hell away as fast as i could, the image of the woman burned into my minds eye, I just kept my eyes closed on the way back to shore in case i saw her again.

I dried myself and put my clothes back on and returned to my friend. He was watching me swimming and said that I was like a rocket on the way back in! So I told him what had happened, what I'ld seen and he looked pretty skeptical to say the least.

About an hour later, both of us fishing away, when a local kid came traipsing across the field to us, this isn't unusual, locals often passing by ask how the fishing is going. "Nothing yet" says I. "well you know a few weeks ago they caught a skull over there" pointing over to where I was swimming.

I **** you not.

My mates jaw hit the ground, and I nearly fell over.

We asked the kid for more info - but he hadn't got any,and I've looked online with no results. So maybe he just said it. made it up.

But I;m quite sure that I saw - or even mentally "saw" if that makes sense, the ghost of a drowned woman in that lake.

Still, didn't catch any fish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My friends dad was working in a field for his neighbour one evening, just cutting the grass I think. He was driving his own tractor.

Anyway it got late, and with the job nearly done, he continued on through the darkness and finished the job. Then the most strange thing happened to him. He could not find his way out of the field. He just could not find the gate. He spent a half an hour driving around the (small enough) field trying to get out. This was a man who had been in this field probably hundreds of times, and was very familiar with the field and the gateway out of it, he knew exactly where it was, but on this night he could not find it. He was soon in tears and rang his son crying for help. Anyways the son (my friend who told me the story) arrived down at the field, and watched his father driving around the field like mad, like he was in a real panic. He often shone the lights of the tractor on the gate, but he still could not see the gate. The son was so frightened that he didnt go in the field and just tried ringing him. This continued until it started to get bright, and when it did get bright the father found his way out. Never again has he stayed in a field past dark.

Anyway, the explanation for this is that the field supposedly had Forgeen Mara (wrong spelling, but thats how its pronounced). Forgeen Mara is a magic that is supposed to be in fields that have or used to have ringforts in them. And in these fields, things like this can happen after dark.

Those of you in rural Ireland will probably have heard of it and heard of expiriences of it. Ask many farmers and you will hear of it, I asked my dad, uncles, neighbours (this was the 1st id ever heard of it) and they all say its real and happens. And know people who its happened to.

This story creeped me out alot when I heard it first.

Have any of you heard of this happening elsewhere?

BTW, some may think this is very far fetched, but this really did happen I assure ye!

A few posters on here have told stories of similar happenings:eek:. My mother says years ago, neighbours would call to visit each other in the countryside and would tell stories of ghosts and fairies. She recalls one saying that if you stepped on a 'stray sod' in a field..you wouldn't be able to find your way out.

Speaking about paris, l was there about 6 or 7 years ago on a school tour with my year.

It was night time & we were all together in some part looking over the city. Me & my friend werent listening so we were just looking around us.

About 30-40feet away there was 3 or 4 young guys, looking in our direction. They kept staring at us next thing they started waving at us to come up to them! Course we thought oh they us like us or something stupid like that!!

We were both looking at eachother like will we or wont we go...they kept waving at us to come up to them.....thank f*** we didnt. God knows what would have happend. Thinking back we were so stupid to even think about going off with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I believe you. The same thing happened to a friend of my grandfather years back. He was out setting traps for rabbits in a field during the day and when he had the work done he went home. Later that night he returned to the field to see if he had caught anything. What he saw was that all the traps were opened but there were no rabbits caught in them. He found this terribly strange and went around and closed all the traps again. When the work was done he decided to go home but could not see the gate he came in anywhere. He walked around and around the field for about an hour but there was still no sign of the gate. Eventually he decided to jump through the ditch and he landed not too far away from where the gate was. He could not see the gate from the inside but could only see it when he jumped out. Similar story to yours.

Not quite the same thing, but it's happened me a handful of times that I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet and I can't find the door to get out.

Not as in I'm groping at the wall beside the door looking for the handle and just missing it; I imagine myself back in my bedroom from over 10 years ago and get utterly confused as to what room i'm in and what wall is what. Once I was fully awake as I had spent a good 2 minutes padding down the walls in terror looking for a light switch/door and still couldn't figure it out. :o

Advertisement