Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I'm on us5, name is covenant on server, so shout adivce at me if u see me around!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

on fr4 and i spawned as a bandit???

anyway cant decide between a lee enfield or a compact crossbow. I like the silence of the crossbow, but the enfield is easier to aim and has range+power :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Did a filter by mission "DayZ", and joined a low ping French server. Think I killed two humans (they gave me a fright as it was pitch darkness, and were crouching). Said sorry, and left the server :/

*sigh* stupid ladder bug, I fell of a ladder twice, ended up using all my medicine and food to keep myself alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    *sigh* stupid ladder bug, I fell of a ladder twice, ended up using all my medicine and food to keep myself alive.

Fell off a tiny ladder (5-6 steps), dropped like a fly and that was it, game over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Should have taken that ladders class at community college:

fdffZ.gif

DinoRex wrote: »
    Should have taken that ladders class at community college:

fdffZ.gif

I F*cking love community!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

On US5 there good fun.

our mumble server

http://homepage.eircom.net/~kdjac/mumble.jpg

password shooter

name has to be exactly like that for some reason.

New patch makes it a lot more intense. The dead tend to wander and can sneak up on you

1.5.7 is downright a ten fold improvement over 1.5.6

First time on it I spawned in just west of the southern airfield, there's a trainyard there where sometimes I can find goodies so I make my way there.

Now the zombies AI has been changed, they are no longer in buildings, instead they wander around outside them in big arcing circles and you got to sneak past them, it's been tweaked that if you are quiet and get too close they grunt and change direction towards you but they dont sprint. They only sprint when you make too much noise.

So I sneak very carefully past 2 walkers, a hopper and a crawling zombie to get inside, I start picking up loot when I hear distant gunfire. Not a problem me thinks, let the zombies outside be drawn to that poor sod and I'll slip out with my goodies.

Suddenly this survivor sprints into the building pass me and starts climbing the stairs. Behind him, in droves, an approaching black mob of zombies, at least 10 of them, I quickly follow the other guy up the stairs and climb to the highest point in the building, it didnt matter. We were surronded and trapped and this dumb f*ck beside was still shooting so more zombies were coming. Like a Jewish mother hiding from the nazis who smothered her newborn baby so it wouldnt cry...I put a bullet into the head of my fellow survivor and hid.

It helped a small bit. They were no longer sprinting up stairs and climbing ladders after me, but the building was infested, there was no way out without at least firing once. So I took what remaining ammo my friend had, his food and water bottle of course and fought my way down the stairs until I had a clear path to escape and I sprinted.

I didnt get 20 feet when I felt the pressure of 2 sprinters on my back, i had to stop and shoot them only to see six hoppers behind them coming for me so I went back to running.

And I didnt stop until I reached the warehouse by the dock in the next town over. I ate and drank and tried to see if there were any goodies inside. A wheel and a windshield, last patch I would have ignored them, this time though...A car is damn tempting.

Gunshots! I walk outside the warehouse to see two more survivors sprinting around the corner...behind them THE HORDE!!! I run after them swearing to all heaven as the three of us ran down the dock. Told one of them

Me: **** YOU! WHY'D YOU LEAD THEM TO ME???

Him: Hey man it's not my fault! I'm killing them aint I?

Me: How much ammo do you have?

Him: Enough for 4 days!

He was out of ammo within minutes. I was down to 3 bullets and our third teammate was completely out.

Finally a break in the onslaught allowed us to sprint our seperate ways. The runners opting to go after the guy with the rifle, he got as far as the edge of cherno until I heard he died. His name was Jeff.

Andy the poor bastard didnt get a 100 feet, he ran into the town only to get cornered and eaten.

I got as far as the next gas station, I needed ammo or a gun. The crossbow a gun I was not fond of in the last patch was looking incredibly tempting. Success there was one there and I had already found 3 bolts for it. Now I could hold my ground.

I stepped out of the gas station and my throat got slit, a hopper had come around the corner and jumped me. I hadnt loaded the crossbow yet and my pistol only had 3 rounds. The hopped went down but it was too late the gunfire attracted sprinters and me loosing blood collapsed as three of them surronded me and beat my corpse to pulp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fawkon

I got as far as the next gas station, I needed ammo or a gun. The crossbow a gun I was not fond of in the last patch was looking incredibly tempting. Success there was one there and I had already found 3 bolts for it. Now I could hold my ground.

I stepped out of the gas station and my throat got slit, a hopper had come around the corner and jumped me. I hadnt loaded the crossbow yet and my pistol only had 3 rounds. The hopped went down but it was too late the gunfire attracted sprinters and me loosing blood collapsed as three of them surronded me and beat my corpse to pulp.
    Find me another game that spawns you these kinda stories and excitement from a few hours play

My story less interesting:
    Spawn, spend an hour running through woods trying to find another boards member.
    Spend 10 mins in comms trying to figure out if the guy Cravez can see is me or a bandit...

Cravez "Alright im gonna shoot him in the head I'm not sure if it's you..."
    Me: Whoa man wai.... *BANG*
    Cravez: "It wasn't you...?"
    Me: No...
    Cravez: "Alright dude gotta go talk to you later"
    (After an hour trying to meet up!!! It's alright bro i forgive ya haha)

Climb up a ladder in cherno with a horde behind me *BAM* fall off ladder and eaten.
    Respawn find my body take my sh*t and climb same ladder *BAM* dead again....
    Respawn again! f*ck you ladder you will not defeat me! *BAM* fall off again....

*EXIT GAME*....

(Honestly I was like a lab rat who continuously (sp.) electrocutes itself for the cheese...)

F*ck you ladder...

Good fun though

1.5.7 does have a bug that seems to crash the server I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

How do you go about downloading this? Would love to play!

Shane.C wrote: »
    How do you go about downloading this? Would love to play!
    You need to have bought Arma 2 combined operations (or arma 2 free and Operation arrowhead) then look on youtube for a tutorial. You cannot pirate it doesn't work just heads up.

Oh heads up just reading (too much time/ no sleep for me) on the day forum that the new patch has created a clusterf*ck of zombies so apparently it's nearly impossible to get into large cities.... great...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Fawkon wrote: »

Cravez "Alright im gonna shoot him in the head I'm not sure if it's you..."
    Me: Whoa man wai.... *BANG*
    Cravez: "It wasn't you...?"
    Me: No...
    Cravez: "Alright dude gotta go talk to you later"
    (After an hour trying to meet up!!! It's alright bro i forgive ya haha)

Good fun though

Haha we had to make do with the online map as opposed with the ingame one. Took nearly an hour to find each other.

Taking that shot was tense as hell, I was perched in the forest overlooking the outskirts of the city of Elektro with a scoped CZ and the guy was just standing around in the field and Fawkon was nearby so I was constantly asking Fawkon:

Me: " Is that you? Do you have a Marakov? "
    Fawkon: " Yes but I have a Enfield Rifle too "
    Me: " This guy doesn't have a Enfield rifle :( "
    Fawkon: " I have one though "
    Me: " The guy is wearing black clothes and looks to be a bandit, are you wearing black clothes? "
    Fawkon: " Iv proned to the ground "
    Me: " This guy didn't, did you just stand back up? "
    Fawkon: " I did but just as you were speaking "
    Me : " fcuk! This guy is a bandit I think "
    Me: " I'm gonna take the shot, forgive me if it's you "

As soon as I was about to take the shot the guy starts running around aimlessly and starts running in my direction, aimed at his head and shot.

Me: " It wasn't you, some other guy "
    Fawkon: " Thank fcuk! "

The guy I killed was called 'Captain Backstabber', was probably for the best anyway!

Also very happy about to hear there is an update :). Will check it out later

Pretty much most of us so far are playing on the US5 server. Would be hard to get quite alot of us together playing it though since most servers are Jammers with people

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭longwhitecross+

Would it make it easier if we set a time and all spawned into the server at roughly the same time? Probably won't be enough free places I guess.

Btw that mumble thing, is it like teamspeak? If so I can see myself prefering ingame coms - i think the local voice/txt chat adds alot to immersion and tension

Would it make it easier if we set a time and all spawned into the server at roughly the same time? Probably won't be enough free places I guess.

Thing is some of the servers are usually about 90% (most of them are at full capacity) capacity before joining, getting about 3+ people to join at once might be difficult. 1 or 2 might get in but anyone else who wants to join might have to be left pressing the Enter key for a while until a slot is free. It depends really!

We'd almost be better off trying to get our own server, maybe somehow whitelisting boards folk but still allowing joe public to come in and game. Would make it more interesting as I can't imagine all the boardsies being bandits and bandits make the game dynamic more tense and in a way more fun (also frustrating as well at times :))

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the_syco wrote: »
    Did a filter by mission "DayZ", and joined a low ping French server. Think I killed two humans (they gave me a fright as it was pitch darkness, and were crouching). Said sorry, and left the server :/
    Spawned on the shore. Walked along the beach. Got bored. Threw a flare, and shot once. Nothing, no zombies. Walked towards a village, again, tossed a flare, and shot once. Nothing. Kept walking. Heard something, and two player/zombies that were crouched hopped along nearby me. Shot both of them.

Hope to go on later when it's during the day so that I can see wtf I'm doing or going.

the_syco wrote: »
    Spawned on the shore. Walked along the beach. Got bored. Threw a flare, and shot once. Nothing, no zombies. Walked towards a village, again, tossed a flare, and shot once. Nothing. Kept walking. Heard something, and two player/zombies that were crouched hopped along nearby me. Shot both of them.

Hope to go on later when it's during the day so that I can see wtf I'm doing or going.
    The day /night cycle follows that of the server, if its a US server it's still night over there eu = day etc... i need to get some sleep....

Also if anyone is on hit me up on steam: Fawkon, gonna play for a few hours more

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's almost impossible to do anything at night. Balkie and i were in Starry Sober looking for a hospital, and we literally couldn't see 5 feet in front of us. Was total darkness. I'm all for realism, but this was kind of crazy. Ended up switching server, as we literally couldn't do anything. Kind of cheating, but screw that.

Will play for a few hours tonight before the D3 launch, and test out the new patch. As for getting into the same server, its actually not that hard. People leave quickly enough, so if you're willing to wait a few minutes while refreshing, you'll get in pretty quickly.

Kiith wrote: »
    It's almost impossible to do anything at night. Balkie and i were in Starry Sober looking for a hospital, and we literally couldn't see 5 feet in front of us. Was total darkness. I'm all for realism, but this was kind of crazy. Ended up switching server, as we literally couldn't do anything. Kind of cheating, but screw that.

If you want to be risky, throw a flare and pick it up to carry it around with you.

It's better to do it with a chemlight as you can't be seen as easily in the distance.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    If you want to be risky, throw a flare and pick it up to carry it around with you.

It's better to do it with a chemlight as you can't be seen as easily in the distance.

Ahh, didn't realise you could pickup thrown flares. God you'd make an awfully easy target though.

One question, do Zombies ever stop chasing you? As in once they hear you and scream, is there any way to lose them other then killing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Are there zombies out in woods now? We've moved inland and while it is tense when you see more players in distance, there isn't much to do along the way.
    The guy I killed was called 'Captain Backstabber', was probably for the best anyway!
    Captain Backstabber is a friend, although you were probably right to shoot him :D

Kiith wrote: »
    One question, do Zombies ever stop chasing you? As in once they hear you and scream, is there any way to lose them other then killing them?

Not really but you can lose them by getting them caught in things.

Like the one I lost who chased me all the way to cherno, he got stuck on an obstacle. I had no ammo so I ran into the church, got ammo, shot the zombies there and.........lovely............18 zombies came in the door and I ran out of ammo after the 14th one.

Didn't help that some smart arse heard me and thought it would be funny to ring the church bells to attract more.

Thought so. Before i met up with Balkie on Saturday, i got chased by 4 zombies. I had no ammo, so i ran for the hills thinking i might lose them. Thankfully, zombies don't worry about high drops, and i managed to lead them off a steep hill. They died, i got some food, and now i've been alive for a good 10 hours :P

Captain Backstabber is a friend, although you were probably right to shoot him :D

Haha! Send him my apologies, I just had to do what I thought was needed done at the time to save my own back just in case :D

1.5.7 has changed everything. Towns are now death traps and a single shot will set a mob of 30 or do ****ers on you

Sounds brilliantly horrible :P

• Advertisement

1.5.7 has changed everything. Towns are now death traps and a single shot will set a mob of 30 or do ****ers on you

Excellent, as I was getting a bit to confident of running around on servers with low zombie counts.

Knowing now that they're more spaced out adds better tension, especially at night when your creeping about and next thing you hear a zombie groan right beside you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement