Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tile problem

• 15-09-2019 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭

Tiler re did bathroom downstairs and tiled over the window sill. Catch won't close properly now and chances of him coming back are probably slim

Best way to fix?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

Trying to upload pic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Professionals :)

You might be able to notch out a little square using a oscillating saw with the correct plunge blade. Alternatively you may be able to get the tile up in one piece, cut it and put it back down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Looks like a Dremel job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

What a moron, he even notched out the tile for the plastic wedge but not enough for the locking mechanism. Did he even try to lock the window after himself and just walk away from the problem.

Has the tiler not finished and due to return to grout and silicone? Guess he tiled over existing tile given the problem in closing the window so when he returns get him to lift the tile and cut out an appropriate notch. What's the finish like in general and are you otherwise satisfied with the work.

Will need to be done with a diamond bit so would really need to be lifted. An oscilliating saw won't work but a dremel might if you can get an appropriate blade but there's the risk of chipping the tile and it will be very difficult to get it looking neat while in situe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

what about drilling a series of holes with a tile bit? and tidying up the edges with a file?

What a moron, he even notched out the tile for the plastic wedge but not enough for the locking mechanism. Did he even try to lock the window after himself and just walk away from the problem.

Has the tiler not finished and due to return to grout and silicone? Guess he tiled over existing tile given the problem in closing the window so when he returns get him to lift the tile and cut out an appropriate notch. What's the finish like in general and are you otherwise satisfied with the work.

Will need to be done with a diamond bit so would really need to be lifted. An oscilliating saw won't work but a dremel might if you can get an appropriate blade but there's the risk of chipping the tile and it will be very difficult to get it looking neat while in situe.
    Rest of the job is fine. I'll leave the window as is. another option might be move the handle at some point.. don't want to risk cracking the tile.. could cut a bit off the window catch to I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rest of the job is fine. I'll leave the window as is. another option might be move the handle at some point.. don't want to risk cracking the tile.. could cut a bit off the window catch to I suppose

Buy a tile drill bit and drill out 3 holes with the bit, cost you ten minutes of time and a drill bit.

I bought this set a few months ago to do the bathroom. The bits are excellent. I used them to bore several holes for showers and also electrical access through the tiles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074WL9BFS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

listermint wrote: »

Buy a tile drill bit and drill out 3 holes with the bit, cost you ten minutes of time and a drill bit.

I bought this set a few months ago to do the bathroom. The bits are excellent. I used them to bore several holes for showers and also electrical access through the tiles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074WL9BFS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item
    One ten mill hole might do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You must have a few spare tiles left over also?

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    You must have a few spare tiles left over also?
    There are a few but if rather not go rooting

Advertisement