Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Mets to re-sign OF Yoenis Cespedes on a 4 year deal worth 110 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Thank you Mr. Doyle. You have made my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Includes a No Trade clause too apparently. Was kinda hoping he'd come up North!

Thank you Mr. Doyle. You have made my day!

Would it be the biggest free agency signing by the Mets ever?

Would it be the biggest free agency signing by the Mets ever?

Probably is. They haven't been big spenders lately anyway (thanks to Bernie Madoff)

• Advertisement

Reds reportedly listening to offers for Billy Hamilton. He's be a great addition to any team. His batting improved considerably last season and once he's on base, he's so dangerous.

Probably take a lot to get him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Probably is. They haven't been big spenders lately anyway (thanks to Bernie Madoff)

What a grand way to start the day! The sun'll be out, for once the news out of the US isn't massively depressing, and the Mets did the right thing.

I won't even go into the financial failings of this Mets ownership. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day (analog clock anyway).

Now the hot stove engine can focus on Jay Bruce, maybe the Mets trade him, the Blue Jays are supposedly interested. My feeling is they don't trade Bruce and at least start the season with Granderson in center with a 4th outfielder of either Lagares or Conforto, whoever performs better. One of those could be traded, too. Trading Granderson now would be my dream, I really dislike him as an outfielder and he's so suited to DH in the AL. Wouldn't demand much back, either, restock the minors some. Trouble is, DH is easy to fill from free agency, heck the guy Carter that the Brewer's just non tendered looks like a perfect DH, hits it a mile when he does hit it, and can't field a lick. One of several out there.

Now to get that starting pitching solidly healthy, figure out about a left hander to replace Blevins, and bring on 2017. Pitchers and catchers report in 74 days!

New CBA finalised last night and apart from the usual stuff about money and international drafts etc, one thing that made me happy is that the ASG will no longer decide home field advantage for the WS. About time too. Regular season record now going to decide.

Another thing that jumped out at me was that Oakland will be gradually phased out of revenue sharing for smaller market teams.

DL going to a minimum of 10 days now down from 15 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Chris Sale and McCuthchen in a Nats Uniform .. yes please!! If Rizzo pulls this off and we still dont win at least one playoff round then I give up!

Chris Sale and McCuthchen in a Nats Uniform .. yes please!! If Rizzo pulls this off and we still dont win at least one playoff round then I give up!

Any idea what they'll have to give up to get them???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Giolito possibly but I think I would trade him for Sale. There is some good prospects in the Nationals farm system but those two established players could be cornerstones for 3-4 years. Add them to Murphy, werth, Rendon, Harper and Trea and you have a serious team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

New CBA finalised last night and apart from the usual stuff about money and international drafts etc, one thing that made me happy is that the ASG will no longer decide home field advantage for the WS. About time too. Regular season record now going to decide.

Another thing that jumped out at me was that Oakland will be gradually phased out of revenue sharing for smaller market teams.

DL going to a minimum of 10 days now down from 15 too.

Also rosters expanding to 26 players and teams signing a qualified free agent won't give up a first round draft pick. That might make them more attractive to some teams.

The Astros won the Carlos Beltran chase.. 1 year deal for 16 mill

The Astros won the Carlos Beltran chase.. 1 year deal for 16 mill

That's a lot of money for him don't you think?

That's a lot of money for him don't you think?

Crazy, i thought he'd be lucky to get 8/9 mill a year from whoever got him.
    Ok so he had a really productive 2016 but thats lot of money for a 40 year old slugger

A lot of angry people on Twitter not happy that Bud Selig's got elected to the HOF.

Yankees sign OF Matt Holiday to a 1 year deal worth 13 mill which now means they won't be signing Encarnacion

Yankees sign OF Matt Holiday to a 1 year deal worth 13 mill which now means they won't be signing Encarnacion

Things should begin to heat up now at the winter meetings. Might see some of the bigger names signing or getting moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Mets need a catcher, and more relief. Alderson making noises like D'Arnaud's the man - well, he isn't by any recent metric. Can't hit anymore, not a great fielder, can't stay on the field. Maybe Wheeler in relief to start the season if he in fact makes the team. Still want to see last year's heroes Gsellman and Lugo have starting jobs at the start of ST and have the former starters prove they're ready. Who knows how high the ceiling is with those new guys, they're certainly not as worn as Harvey and DeGrom. Wheeler's been basically a nonentity .500 pitcher since the much ballyhooed trade for the future HOF'er Beltran. Wouldn't be disappointed if Wheeler started out at Las Vegas and proved he can hold up before taking a valuable roster spot.

Have you seen Beltran's stats since he left the Mets? Obviously a pure hitter these days, but what a hitter. I expect he'll be fine as DH in Houston and earn his $16m. It's only money.

Yankees signing Holliday is puzzling. Not clear he's got much left in the tank, and another aging DH isn't what they needed, they need to go young and upgrade their pitching, or at least get returns-to-form from Tanaka and Sabathia.

• Advertisement

Steve Pearce to Toronto. Probably means Batista not going back.

Steve Pearce to Toronto. Probably means Batista not going back.

Also probably 110% certain that Encarnacion is not returning either.

Giants sign Closer Mark Melancon to a 4 year deal worth 62 Million

Dodgers sign SP Rich Hill to a 3 year deal worth 48 Million

Giants sign Closer Mark Melancon to a 4 year deal worth 62 Million

Dodgers sign SP Rich Hill to a 3 year deal worth 48 Million

It's heating up...!!

Melacon just got $62m/4 years from the Giants. Imagine what Jansen and Chapman are going to get after this.

Bryce Harper looking for a 10 year $400m deal. The Nats rightly will pass and hope they can win it all in the 2 years they have left with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Bryce Harper looking for a 10 year $400m deal. The Nats rightly will pass and hope they can win it all in the 2 years they have left with him.

Why not pay him, him and Trout are the two best players in the league right :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Kal El wrote: »
    Why not pay him, him and Trout are the two best players in the league right :confused:

24HR's, .243 Batting, .441 Slugging, 86 RBI, .373 on base %

Hard to offer that kind of money to someone who just had that year. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Harper fan and he's a superstar. But not surprising that they're not jumping at paying him

Melacon just got $62m/4 years from the Giants. Imagine what Jansen and Chapman are going to get after this.

Rumours about Chapman wanting a 6 yr deal for around 100 million

• Advertisement

I suspect the Giants overpaid as they had a very specific need for a closer - the series vs. Cubs really showed this.

Advertisement