Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last Chance U

• 02-08-2016 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Anyone watching this on Netflix? About a college team in East Mississipi filled with talented players who made a few bad choices trying to get their career back. Find it very interesting and much better then Hard Knocks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

nope, but looking for something to watch later - cheers I'l give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Yes watched the 1st ep last night really enjoyed it .

Its crazy how popular football is at schools/college level over there.

Always wondered is there clubs outside of the schools that play like GAA and soccer here or is it all school/college level ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Yeah watched the first two episodes so far. Kind of like a real life friday night lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TonyCochrane

TheNap wrote: »
    Yes watched the 1st ep last night really enjoyed it .

Its crazy how popular football is at schools/college level over there.

Always wondered is there clubs outside of the schools that play like GAA and soccer here or is it all school/college level ?

Pretty much school / college - quite expensive in terms of equipment etc, lots of flag football (like tag rugby) but not so much the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Buttros

Looking forward to it. 2 episodes left of all or nothing. The doc on Amazon about the cards season last year. Also worth a look. Last chance u will be watched after that. Would some of the players in it be in the NFL now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I finished it this morning, the past two episodes are the best. Great little mini series. Ollie is some guy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ben98

Buttros wrote: »
    Looking forward to it. 2 episodes left of all or nothing. The doc on Amazon about the cards season last year. Also worth a look. Last chance u will be watched after that. Would some of the players in it be in the NFL now?

Yeah I must give All or Nothing a watch next. Not now no, a couple might be in the future

The coach was a horrible human

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

In this show or All or Nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Have watched the first three episodes, it's very like Hard Knocks in some ways, but in a sense there's a lot more at stake for these guys. There's some interesting plotlines in it that the documentary doesn't really address head on, but allows to play out under the surface a little. Without giving anything away in terms of spoilers, I really like the focus on the struggle that the academic coordinator woman has just to get these lads to do the bare minimum of work they need to be doing to either stay in the CC or move up to a D1. The inability of some of the players to see beyond the football field even when they must realise that their only hope of staying on that field is by getting the right grades (that are probably not hard to get). And the dawning realisation that these are often lads who have been badly taken advantage of throughout their school years, allowed to get away with whatever they want because of their talent, with nobody really caring about their future, whether in or (more likely) out of the sport.

And it's that sense that they will likely drop out of it, with very little prospects beyond it, that hangs over the whole documentary, and makes all the winning and losing struggles of a normal sporting season seem much more poignant.

I also really like the emphasis on the setting. Apart from the fact that it's a quite modern CC that just rises out of the ground in a spot where there is almost literally nothing else around (be an intereting place to go to College), I love the shots of the town and the cotton fields etc. It gives a sense of why something as seemingly insignificant as Junior College football can take on such huge significance, and the contrast between the town and the hyper modern facilities of the football team (a Junior College remember!) kind of implies how problematic that relationship between place and team actually is.

But still the Hard Knocks style drama about who will be starting QB etc keeps it chugging along nicely. They also have a lot more access than Hard Knocks get.

Tl;dr: It's good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Watched it last night! Only the last episode left to watch tonight.

On first viewing, I did not find any of the players likeable at all. They expected to get a pass on everything because they were good at football and knew they were going to be forgiven everything. I did not see many of them see past the end of their noses, that they were given a chance to get an education and that football does not last forever.

I felt sorry for the academic co-ordinator and felt they were taking the p out of her constantly.

One of the guys (DJ I think) said he thought she cared about them, but he could not be sure if she was were genuine, to I think they knew they were being used.

Coach was horrible as was homecoming queen.

Reminded me of the film Carrie. Hard to believe people behave like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Im not even an American Football fan but really enjoyed this. That homecoming queen bit shows how strange the whole culture is. That one going around "vote for me....I love your dress....vote for me....you have pretty eyes". :rolleyes:

Felt bad for
    The Wyatt Roberts lad, he seemed to start more games than John Franklin but yet didn't get any offers for D1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Last episode was brilliant! Great series! Well worth a watch

Loughc wrote: »
    In this show or All or Nothing?

This show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Dont understand how the guy who was first choice qb all season doesnt get a offer from a top school, where the guy who was back up and pretty much ****ed up every opp besides one game against the team considered the worst in there division gets to Auburn

Charizard wrote: »
    Dont understand how the guy who was first choice qb all season doesnt get a offer from a top school, where the guy who was back up and pretty much ****ed up every opp besides one game against the team considered the worst in there division gets to Auburn

Spoilers, thanks a million.

Spoilers, thanks a million.

Sorry I dont know how to spoiler :( presumed everyone had finished it

Charizard wrote: »
    Sorry I dont know how to spoiler :( presumed everyone had finished it

No worries. For future reference, the "spoiler" icon is right above the text box when you're writing a post (although I dunno if that's true on a phone)

No worries. For future reference, the "spoiler" icon is right above the text box when you're writing a post (although I dunno if that's true on a phone)

Thats not available to me :( after investigating it comes after a certain period being a poster on boards. Sorry again guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Definitely.
    In that game that they lost in OT, didn't he get hit with a sportsmanship foul that probably tacked on 15 years just before the opposition scored a TD? And then after the game he calls the players assholes for not making plays.

And he was so fake during those recruiting visits at the end. Wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him, and from the size of him, that wouldn't be very far

I too felt sorry for Wagner. It was like dealing with pre-school kids for her. Maybe it's because I'm old and it's a generation thing but when someone's talking to you, take off the f*&king earphones and put down the phone.

Good series overall, definitely worth watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Interesting news about one of the players in the series.
    Wyatt Roberts the starting QB in the series has joined the Miss State team as a walk on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yeah, the head coach came off looking like an overgrown child from the whole thing.
    He's just a terrible human being.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the kids from it though.
    I see Ollie has switched to OL now...

Whoever designed the mobile site for that website needs to be shot. I'm not reading it. Will the second season be set in the same university?

Whoever designed the mobile site for that website needs to be shot. I'm not reading it. Will the second season be set in the same university?

Yeah, same university and same coach. Maybe some of those lads he was trying to recruit in the last episode too.

John Franklin, one play for Auburn in the loss to Clemson on Saturday. 1 pass for -3 yards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

6 guys took snaps for Auburn and 4 Qb's.

Cluster****.

East Mississippi won the national title again today.

Season 4 starts on 19 July on Netflix.

Don't click on this link if you want to avoid how the season went but recently the head coach if facing blackmail and identity theft charges. Basically he was posing as a solicitor sending threatening letters to members of the press who wrote about his previous f*&k ups.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2843338-last-chance-u-star-jason-brown-arrested-on-blackmail-identity-theft-charges

This guy was an even bigger prick than yer man from East Mississippi.

• Advertisement

Advertisement