Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

mod9maple wrote: »
    It's awful in my opinion. It's great for replays but for live action? No thanks. I'd sooner listen to the radio broadcast than watch that. It would seriously put me off watching. I no longer watch NHL games that flash ads on the glass for the same reason.

Rather listen on the radio instead of see the strike-zone? A bit dramatic.
    You can guarantee that people felt the same way when the 1st and Ten lines were put on the NFL broadcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Opening Day today!

And we'll be at Safeco Field in Seattle for the Mariners versus the Angels.

Probably the only sell out of the season...

I was there too! Thought it was going to be a long day when Trout homered after his first at-bat (which was a great at-bat) but then Felix got going and got the 10 strikeouts. Seth Smith had a great game too and going 3 for 3 with a triple is definitely one way to get onside with the fans. Only downside was the bullpen not having a great 8th inning.

There was a buzz there yesterday which I've never experienced at Safeco, there may very well be more sell outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Here's a couple of pics from Last nights opening day game at Safeco Field. Seattle Mariners against the LA Angels.

Felix Hernandez against Jered Weaver. It was a great game, Mariners won it 4-1.

[IMG][/img]safeco1_zpsulujo1xy.jpg

[IMG][/img]safeco2_zpsbimqzbbf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Cool shots. Nice seats by the looks of things.

I was there too! Thought it was going to be a long day when Trout homered after his first at-bat (which was a great at-bat) but then Felix got going and got the 10 strikeouts. Seth Smith had a great game too and going 3 for 3 with a triple is definitely one way to get onside with the fans. Only downside was the bullpen not having a great 8th inning.

There was a buzz there yesterday which I've never experienced at Safeco, there may very well be more sell outs.

I know. That Angels homer in the first was a bit of a shock. There's always that feeling with the Mariners that your optimism has been misplaced. But it went well.

Seth Smith was great wasnt he? Hopefully he can keep that up. It could be a good season.

And the buzz. Omg. Didnt it seem that it wasnt just a sold out stadium but every bar and resturaunt for miles around was crowded.

• Advertisement

Cool shots. Nice seats by the looks of things.

Thanks. Its such a nice ballpark. There's reasonable views even from the cheapest seats.

And the design is such that there's no "tunnel" to walk through from the concession areas/loos to the seating areas, its all open. If you're in a queue for food you can probably still see the game. So even if you have a cheap ticket you can walk around and stand and watch from anywhere.

Thanks. Its such a nice ballpark. There's reasonable views even from the cheapest seats.

And the design is such that there's no "tunnel" to walk through from the concession areas/loos to the seating areas, its all open. If you're in a queue for food you can probably still see the game. So even if you have a cheap ticket you can walk around and stand and watch from anywhere.

I like the guys in the yellow. I remember them from the day of King Felix's perfect game a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I like the guys in the yellow. I remember them from the day of King Felix's perfect game a while back

That's King's Court. If you get a ticket for that section when Felix is playing, the yellow t-shirt is included (and a K card)

That's King's Court. If you get a ticket for that section when Felix is playing, the yellow t-shirt is included (and a K card)

That's a cool idea. I didn't realise it was organised by the team. Great way to get people involved.

Was Seattle the first place to do this? It's the first place I saw it anyway but maybe some other team did it before them. I don't know. Something similar goes on at CitiField but that's organised by a group of fans (Mets Marketing wouldn't have the brains to come up with something as clever as this). I'm sure they based it on what they saw in Seattle. They go on the road too and block book sections of a stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The same is the case in Phoenix.
    While at the concession stand you can still see down to the field.
    As someone who watched 99.99% of my live baseball in Fenway I was awestruck when I went to Phoenix

• Advertisement

I noticed a prominently displayed digital timer yesterday at Safeco Field that began counting down from 2:25 at the middle and end of every inning.

Apparently MLB is trying to speed things up by strictly limiting the "commercial breaks" to 2:25 mins from the last player being called out to the first pitch of the next half inning. I believe there's a penalty for going over the time.

I noticed a prominently displayed digital timer yesterday at Safeco Field that began counting down from 2:25 at the middle and end of every inning.

Apparently MLB is trying to speed things up by strictly limiting the "commercial breaks" to 2:25 mins from the last player being called out to the first pitch of the next half inning. I believe there's a penalty for going over the time.

Yeah, a good idea I think. I know it was only one day but on Monday it was great to see the pitcher nearly in his wind up as the ad break ended. Although I think I remember them coming back once and the ball was already in the catcher's glove so they missed a pitch but that might have been the fault of ESPN over here as opposed to the original broadcast. Here is the rule lifted from MLB's website:

"A second new component to the pace of game program is the addition of timers that will measure non-game action and break time between innings and pitching changes during each Major League game. One timer will be installed on or near the outfield scoreboard, and a smaller timer will be installed on the façade behind home plate near the press box. Immediately following the third out of each half-inning, the timer will count down from 2:25 for locally televised games and from 2:45 for nationally televised games. An MLB representative attending each game will operate the timers from the ballpark and will track the following events:

Time Remaining Activity
    40 seconds PA announces batter and begins to play walk-up music
    30 seconds Pitcher throws final warmup pitch
    25 seconds Batter's walk-up music ends
    20 seconds-5 seconds Batter enters the batter's box
    20 seconds-0 seconds Pitcher begins motion to deliver pitch"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Batters also now run the risk of automatic strikes being called against them if they don't keep 1 foot inside the batters box, has led to a few dance moves happening when they accidentally stray and then remember the rule! Beltre did it last week and Encarnacion recently also.

8-10 wrote: »
    Batters also now run the risk of automatic strikes being called against them if they don't keep 1 foot inside the batters box, has led to a few dance moves happening when they accidentally stray and then remember the rule! Beltre did it last week and Encarnacion recently also.

Beltre forgetting again it seems on Monday

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/watch-adrian-beltre-briefly-forget-about-the-new-pace-of-play-rules-215720320.html

It was that one that I meant, don't know why I said last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

While we're on the topic.....thought I'd share a couple of my shots from Opening Day in Cinci......great game, good to see the ToddFather picking up where he left off.

Nothing beats opening day in Cincinnati.....added special moment this year was the ceremonial first pitch by the "Nasty Boys"

IMG_7959_zpsuxf1j3ya.jpg

IMG_8285_zpsdupyvyww.jpg

IMG_8286_zps8pbuz9yn.jpg

IMG_8292_zpsxcbp0eqs.jpg

IMG_8297_zpswos7uema.jpg

IMG_8310_zpsgnrmrfwk.jpg

IMG_8314_zpsguumnlfq.jpg

IMG_8318_zpsmncm6umi.jpg

IMG_8319_zpsup3cscnx.jpg

Jack Presley.....would you mind reminding your Mets that they're supposed to suck and the Nationals are supposed to have an untouchable rotation.

Jack Presley.....would you mind reminding your Mets that they're supposed to suck and the Nationals are supposed to have an untouchable rotation.

To be fair, the best player for them so far this season has been Ian Desmond! Out of the 8 runs scored over the 2 and a bit games so far, only one has been earned with the other 7 being unearned because of errors by Desmond.

EDIT - Sorry, 2 of the 8 were earned runs.

Been watching the Indians game since the start as I've a bet on them and it's a handy time to watch it, and WOW. Trevor Bauer is pitching terrifically. 6 innings in and he's not even close to being hittable, 11 strikeouts so far

Did somebody say......SWEEEEEP!

• Advertisement

Did somebody say......SWEEEEEP!

So who had Atlanta, Colorado and Cincinnati at 3-0 after the first series?

So who had Atlanta, Colorado and Cincinnati at 3-0 after the first series?

First sweep for the Reds since 2013. Especially sweet since the media have generally picked the Reds to finish last, and the Pirates to challenge the Cardinals for the division.

Reds start the season with 22 games against the NL Central.......start hot and they'll give themselves a good head start.

Been watching the Indians game since the start as I've a bet on them and it's a handy time to watch it, and WOW. Trevor Bauer is pitching terrifically. 6 innings in and he's not even close to being hittable, 11 strikeouts so far

What's the rules on mentioning a no-no when it's a team effort?

What's the rules on mentioning a no-no when it's a team effort?

Commentators have done nothing except mention it! 9th inning....

Commentators have done nothing except mention it! 9th inning....

Good so it's on them if it goes pear shaped.

Good so it's on them if it goes pear shaped.

The way this has gone they'll all strikeout, Carter is next up I think and his swing has been a joke today, no effort to hit the ball

The way this has gone they'll all strikeout, Carter is next up I think and his swing has been a joke today, no effort to hit the ball

I've only been watching this since the 8th. How did Bauer react to coming out? I see he was only on 78 pitches but it is early in the season I suppose.

I've only been watching this since the 8th. How did Bauer react to coming out? I see he was only on 78 pitches but it is early in the season I suppose.

Didn't see it as it was between innings. He had 111 pitches and 5 walks, would never have gotten to the end throwing that many in an early start

• Advertisement

Didn't see it as it was between innings. He had 111 pitches and 5 walks, would never have gotten to the end throwing that many in an early start

Sorry, read the box score wrong. 111 pitches makes it a no-brainer decision. He can't have any complaints I wouldn't say.

Advertisement