Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Black Desert Online

Options
  • 07-12-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

So I just saw this video on IGN for a new Korean MMO called Black Desert Online.

The character creator, graphics and action combat in the video looked really damn impressive, so i looked up the game on google and found the official English language site.

http://black-desert.com/game/

A hell of a lot of good features are promised. Open world pvp, housing, mounted combat etc. And it's due for a western release next year!

Definitely going to give this game a shot when it comes out. Hope it can deliver!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The problem with Korean MMOs is not that they don't look pretty (they always do), or that the animations are poor (they are usually over the top great) or that the fighting is poor (it rarely is) but that they are grindy to the Nth degree. All MMOs are grindy by Korean MMOs tend to take it to not only a whole new level but to a whole new universe! Add in the lack of plot and ton of bots (that are not dealt with) and you have why they usually fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Nody wrote: »
    ..... Add in the lack of plot and ton of bots (that are not dealt with) and you have why they usually fail.

You just described archeage.... also riddled with exploits that take ages to fix and people using the exploits get the lightest of wrist slaps, or banned (people exploiting to get 50,000 gold = 24 hour ban, and get to keep everything bought with ill gotten gains)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Nody wrote: »
    The problem with Korean MMOs is [sic] that they are grindy to the Nth degree

I love how people complain on it taking ages to level up in games like World of Warcraft, or any other Western MMO...

Good thing they NEVER played Asian MMOs then! :pac:

My early MMO years were mostly on Asian MMOs like Legend of Mir, Myth of Soma and Mu Online --- fun spending an hour to get that 1-3% of xp bar progression in the high levels! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

BeerWolf wrote: »
    My early MMO years were mostly on Asian MMOs like Legend of Mir, Myth of Soma and Mu Online --- fun spending an hour to get that 1-3% of xp bar progression in the high levels! :p
    Well I came from Everquest; by the time I hit 50 I had 50 days played (that's 50 24h days). If you died at top level you'd lose about 3h in a good group, 5h in a bad one and 6h soloing (if you could even solo in the first place which only 4 or so classes could). That still makes those MMOs to grindy though :D.

Already a thread on it ....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057256875

still waiting ages for this. Archeage was disappointing, so will see how this goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Korean open beta starts in a few days. Wanted to sign up (account is about 10$) but the ping is going to be horrendous I think :/

The game is still a year away :(

Watched the streams and was talking to one of the streamers. He told me the character creation was not all that. The game itself looked like alot of asian crazyness.

• Advertisement

Anyone playing this on RU server?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

So this is out on the 3rd of march, anyone been in the open beta ? havent gotten an mmo in a very long time but this has peeked my interest in the genre once more !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Looks interesting. Buy to play I see too.
    Good graphics. Combat system looks good.
    Not sure about the fixed auction prices.
    I'll watch it for a while and see what reviews are like after release.

Only thing about it that has me a bit iffy is the gender restrictions as i dont like to play as a female and so that would give me 3 class choices which kinda sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Adorable

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Only thing about it that has me a bit iffy is the gender restrictions as i dont like to play as a female and so that would give me 3 class choices which kinda sucks.

Four classes have their counterparts. I've heard they might be making a male version of the Ranger, but I'm not sure if it has been actually confirmed yet.

Aw really which have a male choice ? i thought it was just warrior wizzard and berserker. But later they will be adding the ninja sorta dude. I went ahead and pre ordered it anyway il give it a go the idea a mmo with no dungeons or raids just pve and group pve questing sort appeals to me these days and all the nice features it has sounds great for me being a more casual mmo player these days.

Unfortunately for the EU/NA release there will only be three male classes (Wizard, Warrior, Berserker), but more will be added very soon! As for the counterparts...

Witch (Female) > Wizard (Male)
    Valkyrie (Female) > Warrior (Male)
    Plum (Female) > Blader (Male)
    Kunoichi (Female) > Ninja (Male)
    Ranger (Female) > Possible male Ranger

I preordered the game so I was able to start playing today. Some people are having trouble with the game (as to be expected with any early release/head start) but my game has been running smoothly so far. The character creation is insane! I spent like 2 hours just making my character this morning. :P

If you haven't ordered the game yet and just want to test it out I can give you a guest pass if you would like? It lasts for a week so you'll be able to get a good feel of the game before you buy it. It will have to be on the day of the launch though (3rd of March) because that's when I'll be able to get my guest passes. :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd take a guest pass if you have more then one going. Would like to give it a try, though i suspect i'd spend more time making character then playing them :)

Thanks for the offer but i already pre ordered it a while ago, i cant play on my conquerors edition till tomorrow :( Im going into this game blind really i havent followed it to much but i was looking at how you upgrade weapons and stuff the other night and that looked fairly interesting

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd take a guest pass if you have more then one going. Would like to give it a try, though i suspect i'd spend more time making character then playing them :)

Of course Kiith! I'll PM you a pass the minute I get 'em (3rd of March.. I think). :P
    Thanks for the offer but i already pre ordered it a while ago, i cant play on my conquerors edition till tomorrow :( Im going into this game blind really i havent followed it to much but i was looking at how you upgrade weapons and stuff the other night and that looked fairly interesting

Haha, we're on the same boat. I preordered the Conqueror's Package as soon as I heard of it... which was like four days ago! I'm a real noob compared to people who have been following/playing the game since the KR/JP/beta release.

Thank you for the video! I need as much help as I can get cause I haven't a clue what I'm doing. :P Also I'm not sure if you know this but I suggest talking to all NPCs. If they have an exclamation/question mark, it means they have some form of knowledge to offer you and that in turn will increase your energy. I'm only lvl12 and have found myself having to walk back to old towns just to talk to NPCs. :mad:

Pvt Wiggles and Hakurai (the guy you just showed me) on YT have some nice tutorials. Also I've found this (http://blackdesertfoundry.com/2016/02/16/starterlaunch-guide/) to be a major help for new players who have no idea what the hell they're doing. :P

Ow no wait i meant explorers i cant play till tomorrow =( servers will probably be getting hammered for the first week so im glad i did not get all hype crazy like i use to with these things gawping at a queue for half a day :p. Is it a mega server where everyone can jump around different instances or separate servers ?

Ow no wait i meant explorers i cant play till tomorrow =( servers will probably be getting hammered for the first week so im glad i did not get all hype crazy like i use to with these things gawping at a queue for half a day :p. Is it a mega server where everyone can jump around different instances or separate servers ?

If you've already downloaded the launcher there's a setting where you can choose to play on either the EU or NA version. There are three servers for 'em each and several channels within the servers.

EU servers: Jordine, Alustine, Croxus (Croxus was added a day before launch, I think it's the emptiest server of the three)
    NA servers: Edan, Orwen, Uno (Uno is the same as Croxus)

I've been testing out Alustine (EU) and Edan (NA) and so far I haven't experienced any queuing or any lag, which is pretty surprising. :P I haven't swapped channels yet so not sure how that works.

this game looks fantastic its like if the witcher was an mmo, i am on alustin as a berserker called drezz family name lonestone cause eh.. i was lazy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I watched some of the features earlier, and there seems to be a huge amount of things to do. I'll wait to try it with the guest pass (cheers Adorable), as i've been burned a few too many times with MMO's in the past, but it looks great.

been playing most of the day, started with a berserker then tried the warrior felt a lot better to play faster and took less damage also seemed to do more damage compared to the berserker well at least up to lvl 10 which was fairly quick to reach. I am enoying it so far the quest's are nothing to write home about very ehh... asian. grindy but feck it, really enjoyable just murdering hordes of things took me ages to figure out how to link the dam trade nodes and crafting is still eluding me ! level 14 on my warrior at the moment i still havent spent any of my skill points i hear respecing can be an ordeal apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

I was watching a stream on Twitch yesterday, Guild quest to kill 6500 of the same mob... Very much an Asian MMO.

Still went ahead and bought the cheapest option to give the crafting a try, Looks very interesting! I'll have a spare guest pass if anyone needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

had a few hours with it today. i thought i wouldn't be annoyed about this but the customization is really bugging me. apart from gender locked classes which is bafflingly stupid, you actually have very limited customization beyond that, you're actually pretty much age locked aswell. it's the hardest mmorpg i've ever played to get a character you're happy with and i feel like i can't properly enjoy the game with this. i could probably put up with it once i got some cool looking gear until i found out all the gear looks basically the exact same the whole way through the game. if you want something decent be prepared to shell out a large amount of money (>30 quid!!) for it. otherwise you will basically always look like a level 1 character.

working towards cool looking gear is a big part of mmorpgs for a lot of people and it is basically nonexistent in this game.

the combat seems decent and the graphics are good. i don't know enough about the rest of the game yet. i'll give it a few days and see how i feel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I was watching a stream on Twitch yesterday, Guild quest to kill 6500 of the same mob... Very much an Asian MMO.

Still went ahead and bought the cheapest option to give the crafting a try, Looks very interesting! I'll have a spare guest pass if anyone needs it.
    I'd love to give it a shot if you've still got a guest pass going.

• Advertisement

The only thing I hate so far is the gender restrictions, if your wondering about crafting and gathering it's easier to leave all that till you get veilena (3rd town area) it's full if quests for it.

Advertisement