Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MLB: 2013 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Masked Man wrote: »
    ...and Clayton Richard, he is the guy in the grey jumper. Pity he pitches Sunday and will not pitch in next weeks series!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

This guy is so tainted now, I wonder now if the Yankees will want anything to do with him if/when he comes back. They are doing a good job at ignoring him for now and rightly so...

I'm just reading on Twitter that Quentin will be suspended for 8 games. He has the right to appeal which if he does should allow him to play in the series against the Dodgers starting Monday.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Last year the Giants started 4-5, and won the whole thing. The Jays are 3-6. We're 2 (!!!) back of Baltimore who are 5-4. A whole 2 games - oh no, trade 'em all. :eek:

There are 153 games left to start winning. This team will be fine. And will be challenging for either the division or the WC. And you can quote me on that come October. :D

Yeah I know it's very early days yet and I wasn't ruling them out. Losing Reyes must be a big blow for you though?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?cid=mlb

Nice triple play from the Yankees last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Yeah I know it's very early days yet and I wasn't ruling them out. Losing Reyes must be a big blow for you though?

A huge blow but as is often said no team is a one man team. This team is laced with talent, they just need to step it up. He'll be missed for sure, hopefully it won't be for too long.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?cid=mlb

Nice triple play from the Yankees last night.

As much as I can't stand the Evil Empire, kudos to them, quick thinking on their part.

One of my favourite plays in all of baseball. Pity Oscar missed it live! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A2zB-e3mro

mod9maple wrote: »
    A huge blow but as is often said no team is a one man team. This team is laced with talent, they just need to step it up. He'll be missed for sure, hopefully it won't be for long

I don't know whether it was the Mets medical staff's fault or not but speaking from previous experience of Reyes injuries, whatever timeframe they come out with for recovery, you can probably add a chunk of extra time onto it!

I was back loving Jose this season. I couldn't root for him as a Marlin but now that he's out of the division, it was great to see him play, both as a hitter and in the field. Hopefully he'll be back soon enough.

And hopefully RA will get back on track tonight too. Look at me, I'm sounding like a Blue Jays fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Watching some of the videos from the 2013 Sloan Sports Conference, I thought the baseball analytics panel was very good. Jonah Keri, Voros McCracken, and a guy I didn't know before, but who was very good, Farhan Zaidi, who works in the front-office at the Oakland A's....

Baseball Analytics 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Is it a bird?
    Is it a plane?
    No, it's Ben Revere....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pZr_fSKG4Ks

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/323941884777078786/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/harding_at_mlb/status/323926280657571840/photo/1

I don't know how common it is to get snow like this in April but going forward, MLB should really only schedule inter-division games in cold weather cities in April.

If they did, as teams play each other 18 or so times a year, there is ample opportunity to make up a game if its lost to snow. However teams from outside your division or teams from the other league only visit once a year so the rescheduled games have to be squeezed in to a day was to be a travel day.

Time zones aren't really an issue going east to west but when the day off is always appreciated when going the other way but as the Mets game in Minnesota was snowed out on Sunday, they'll now have to stop off there on their way back from San Diego in August, therefore losing their travel day.

And after the snow in Minneapolis, they flew to more snow in Denver and another game cancelled. At least this time it was the first game so they can play a doubleheader but there's still a good chance that one of the 4 games they have over the next 3 days will be lost to snow as well meaning they'll have to find another day somewhere in the schedule to play it.

If the Twins had been scheduled to play the White Sox and the Rockies the D'backs, all of this could have been avoided. I know interleague games every day make it a bit more difficult for the schedule makers but I don't think it'd be rocket science.

As I'm typing, I've just seen on Twitter that the 1st game of the doubleheader has been delayed as they're still clearing snow off the field!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/323941884777078786/photo/1
    https://twitter.com/harding_at_mlb/status/323926280657571840/photo/1

I don't know how common it is to get snow like this in April but going forward, MLB should really only schedule inter-division games in cold weather cities in April.

If they did, as teams play each other 18 or so times a year, there is ample opportunity to make up a game if its lost to snow. However teams from outside your division or teams from the other league only visit once a year so the rescheduled games have to be squeezed in to a day was to be a travel day.

Time zones aren't really an issue going east to west but when the day off is always appreciated when going the other way but as the Mets game in Minnesota was snowed out on Sunday, they'll now have to stop off there on their way back from San Diego in August, therefore losing their travel day.

And after the snow in Minneapolis, they flew to more snow in Denver and another game cancelled. At least this time it was the first game so they can play a doubleheader but there's still a good chance that one of the 4 games they have over the next 3 days will be lost to snow as well meaning they'll have to find another day somewhere in the schedule to play it.

If the Twins had been scheduled to play the White Sox and the Rockies the D'backs, all of this could have been avoided. I know interleague games every day make it a bit more difficult for the schedule makers but I don't think it'd be rocket science.

As I'm typing, I've just seen on Twitter that the 1st game of the doubleheader has been delayed as they're still clearing snow off the field!

They don't schedule for this kind of snow because it isn't common.......even in the extreme north, there normally isn't much accumulating snow after march....but this has been a freak winter and there is actually another storm brewing out west that has the potential to dump more snow.

They don't schedule for this kind of snow because it isn't common.......even in the extreme north, there normally isn't much accumulating snow after march....but this has been a freak winter and there is actually another storm brewing out west that has the potential to dump more snow.

Fair enough if it's rare, but it really shouldn't be too difficult to avoid if you your games are scheduled against teams in your own division on the off chance that the one in ten year snow storm comes.

The Mets are obviously desperate to get all 4 games played and avoid having to go back as I just read on Twitter that as well as the ground crew executives from both teams, including Mets GM Sandy Alderson are out shovelling.

Latest pictures look like they've made good progress so baring another shower, we should get a game and hopefully two.

Fair enough if it's rare, but it really shouldn't be too difficult to avoid if you your games are scheduled against teams in your own division on the off chance that the one in ten year snow storm comes.

The Mets are obviously desperate to get all 4 games played and avoid having to go back as I just read on Twitter that as well as the ground crew executives from both teams, including Mets GM Sandy Alderson are out shovelling.

Latest pictures look like they've made good progress so baring another shower, we should get a game and hopefully two.
    At least it isn't Cleveland, it can be good for a heavy dumping of snow being beside the Great Lakes. Back in 2007 they had a whole series against the Mariners cancelled due to snow. The snow was so bad the actually moved the following series against the Angels to Milwaukee. The Mariners weren't so lucky and had to come back to Cleveland 3 different times during the season to make up the games...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Delighted that the Mets double header got the go ahead tonight , top of the 3rd and Mets 2-1 up

Delighted that the Mets double header got the go ahead tonight , top of the 3rd and Mets 2-1 up

Unfortunately with tomorrow's game likely to be snowed out, that means another doubleheader Thursday. And as it'll be Laffey and Hefner starting, there's a good chance the bullpen will be needed early in both games which means they'll be stretched for the weekend series against the Nationals. And the bullpen isn't that good anyway - even when rested.

And also, they won't have the usual early 'getaway' game so they won't get back to NY until some silly hour in the morning on Friday. Not ideal preparation for facing Stephen Strasburg!

Edit- my mistake, Laffey pitched game 2 this morning so it'll be Niese on Thursday in one of the games but the risk of a taxed bullpen is still there

2-2 now. Gee is all over the place. This is going to get ugly (even uglier than an Ike Davis at-bat!). I'm off to bed.....

2-2 now. Gee is all over the place. This is going to get ugly (even uglier than an Ike Davis at-bat!). I'm off to bed.....

Thank God I went to bed when I did. 2 horrible games from a Mets point of view it seems.

Thank God I went to bed when I did. 2 horrible games from a Mets point of view it seems.

I took your advice and did the same , 2 bad results , Rockies game postponed tonight it seems.

I took your advice and did the same , 2 bad results , Rockies game postponed tonight it seems.

They aren't doing the doubleheader today for some reason which on the positive side means the bullpen can get some rest, we won't have to see Laffey pitch on Saturday and they get to travel home at a reasonable hour. But it also means they're going to have to travel out to Denver again on some off day in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Mariners vs Tigers last night/this morning was interesting to say the least
    The game went 14 innings with 40 strikeouts overall, 3 away from the major league record

• Advertisement

The game went 14 innings with 40 strikeouts overall, 3 away from the major league record

40 strikeouts! Sounds like Jason Bay must have come to the plate about 20 times

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I seen Ike Davis giving both sets of players some pointers in batting practice!

Already seen plenty of folks dismissing the 40 strikeout achievement because "of course they'll have that many when they play 5 extra innings".....just out of interest, I pulled up the box score from the Reds@Phillies 19 inning game from a couple of years ago, that game only had 27 strikeouts.

If the Astros and Indians get into a extra innings game over their weekend series they could get close to the record.

Already seen plenty of folks dismissing the 40 strikeout achievement because "of course they'll have that many when they play 5 extra innings".....just out of interest, I pulled up the box score from the Reds@Phillies 19 inning game from a couple of years ago, that game only had 27 strikeouts.

And on the flip side, didn't the Reds just issue 0 walks to the Phillies over their 3 game series?

And on the flip side, didn't the Reds just issue 0 walks to the Phillies over their 3 game series?

No walks, 23Ks, 13 hits over 3 games.

Held Revere to 0 for 12 (I know he's struggling, but whenever you keep your opponents leadoff guy off the bases for an entire series, you're doing something right)

Kudos to Mike Leake, there were suggestions that he needed a good performance, the Reds have called up tony Cingrani to replace Cueto starting tonight and there were suggestions that when Cueto is ready that Leake could be the one sent down. Cingrani struck out 12 in 6 hitless innings in his 1st AAA start and is the Reds' top pitching prospect.

Leake lastnight, on top of pitching a 7 inning 3 hit shut out, had 3 hits himself, including an RBI triple......and scored all 3 times.

Speaking of which.....the triple includes some really entertaining CF play by Revere.....

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_04_17_phimlb_cinmlb_1&mode=video&content_id=26358445&tcid=vpp_copy_26358445

Top of the 8th and Mets loosing 9-2 to the rockies :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Top of the 8th and Mets loosing 9-2 to the rockies :(

The Pen looked awful tonight..:mad:

And the bad news got worse with d'Arnaud fracturing his foot after being just a few weeks away from a call up..

Hopefully the kid recovers pretty quick for a call up late June or prior to he All-star break.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    The Pen looked awful tonight..:mad:

And the bad news got worse with d'Arnaud fracturing his foot after being just a few weeks away from a call up..

Hopefully the kid recovers pretty quick for a call up late June or prior to he All-star break.

Mets bullpen is poor , before todays game Mets were 6-0 when Niese and Harvey started and 1-6 when everyone else started ! ! and Familia's ERA is 27.00 . . Harvey is expected to pitch against the Nationals next .

Advertisement