Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Hello Knitters of Boards...newbie on this forum so go easy :)

My brother has just told us that the first grandchild is going to arrive later this year and I would love to make something personal for the baby that I can post over, instead of ordering something from the internet and having it posted to them in the States.

I haven't knit in years - used to do cross stitch and knitting in secondary school, but not since.

Have you any suggestions?

I am due a baby in June (number 3) and I wish I'd had a car seat blanket earlier. Its a little blanket with holes in the middle to allow the seat belt through the blanket. I am making a bigger one in a chunky wool for the buggy later on.
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/car-seat-baby-blanket
    This is not the pattern I used but ravelry has a few good ones.
    If you want me to let you know what I did, let me know and happy knitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

So I've taken up knitting this year and having made some squares, started cable knit leg warmers (gotten a bit bored with that tbh, so many cables....) and done a little crochet, I've decided to make an actual piece. My knitting is very neat (even if I say so myself) and I have the hang of increasing and decreasing, ribbing, cables etc so I've decided to plough ahead with an actual jumper :eek:

I got a pattern for this jumper with my subscription to the Knit and Stitch magazine and intend to make it for my brother (had a look at the pattern card and it all seems very straight forward, little bit of ribbing but otherwise just stocking stitch, and they have it marked as "easy")

pullover-knitting-pattern.jpg

Have the wool ordered and very excited to get going :D

Thing is, I measured my brother and he's long. Tall fecker and long in the body. He needs an extra few cm (about 5) in the sleeves and back on top of what the pattern for his size would give (the length doesn't increase beyond size L and he's between L and XL otherwise so am making XL)

I don't want to mess up the tapering of the sleeves so was thinking of adding the extra length in the ribbing of the cuff and bottom of the body but that might look weird? would I be better off adding say half in the ribbing, half in the stocking stitch and then starting the tapering after that? (Like, mark the end of the extra length with a thread or something and start the row counter after that).

Any suggestions would be welcome :D

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Right so the book was shipped today and I should get it by the end of the week, I'm already itching to get started but I've no materials at all :( I'll be over excited next week when I get to read the book and then try and order stuff off the interweb

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

If I could make one further recommendation - make sure you use the yarn type or exact equivalent and right needle size as some patterns come out looking bizarre with even small adjustments (I learned to my detriment!)

Good idea to knit neutrals. Can be easily passed on.

I'd never heard of a special car seat blanket must look into that.

I'd be very interested to know what you knit for your new arrival @aknitter!

kandr10 wrote: »
    If I could make one further recommendation - make sure you use the yarn type or exact equivalent and right needle size as some patterns come out looking bizarre with even small adjustments (I learned to my detriment!)

Good idea to knit neutrals. Can be easily passed on.

I'd never heard of a special car seat blanket must look into that.

I'd be very interested to know what you knit for your new arrival @aknitter!

Oh jesus I wouldn't dare deviate in my newbie status with these projects and I want my brother to be proud of the items I make and not only take them out when we skype or I visit!

Thankfully I get paid next week I think I may be blowing the weekly budget on knitting stuffs!!

• Advertisement

Thing is, I measured my brother and he's long. Tall fecker and long in the body. He needs an extra few cm (about 5) in the sleeves and back on top of what the pattern for his size would give (the length doesn't increase beyond size L and he's between L and XL otherwise so am making XL)

I don't want to mess up the tapering of the sleeves so was thinking of adding the extra length in the ribbing of the cuff and bottom of the body but that might look weird? would I be better off adding say half in the ribbing, half in the stocking stitch and then starting the tapering after that? (Like, mark the end of the extra length with a thread or something and start the row counter after that).

This might not be the most helpful but I would email the magazine. They might have good tips on where extra lines could be added so that it doesn't change the proportions. Hopefully a more experienced knitter might have some advice (although I suspect they'd need to see a copy of the pattern.) it's a lovely jumper. Lucky brother :-)

Oh jesus I wouldn't dare deviate in my newbie status with these projects and I want my brother to be proud of the items I make and not only take them out when we skype or I visit!

Thankfully I get paid next week I think I may be blowing the weekly budget on knitting stuffs!!

Haha i tell myself this all the time and say to myself ah I'll just use up that ball of wool I've already got instead of buying one. It's usually ok but one of the little vests I did from the Debbie bliss book was horrendous afterwards! I've also thought ah sure what's 1/4 of a mm difference going to make! I've made a vow to myself to stick more to these things and have just bought a new set of needles to help me keep on track :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

I have 8 balls of Jaeger Wild Silk, with linen and cotton, wool and would like a pattern, knitting or crochet for it. Any ideas where I could get one, and also I want to find out what wool I could combine with it as 8 balls is probably not enough? As it is a fairly luxury yarn I would like something dressy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Is that a DK yarn? Debbie Bliss Cashmerino might be a good mix, it's a cashmere blend and gorgeously rich and soft. You can't beat Ravelry and Purl Bee for free knitting patterns :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

You may get more answers in the arts and crafts forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=590

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I use www.ravelry.com, wide variety of patterns and mostly free, you can search by yarn weight, amount and type too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I admit I'm lazy!! So I do the swatch and If I can get away with a bigger needle I do as it makes it much easier to get little baby's limbs into the cardigan. Although it can decrease the warmth of the garment, houses arent really that cold anymore!

I got a blanket like this for my first baby from America, I love it:

http://shetriestolearn.blogspot.ie/2010/04/car-seat-blanket-tutorial.html

Mine is cotton jersey under the baby but knitted cotton for the flaps that open out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Pinterest, Ravelry (though I think you have to sign up), or Planet Purl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Gormal

So I've taken up knitting this year and having made some squares, started cable knit leg warmers (gotten a bit bored with that tbh, so many cables....) and done a little crochet, I've decided to make an actual piece. My knitting is very neat (even if I say so myself) and I have the hang of increasing and decreasing, ribbing, cables etc so I've decided to plough ahead with an actual jumper :eek:

I got a pattern for this jumper with my subscription to the Knit and Stitch magazine and intend to make it for my brother (had a look at the pattern card and it all seems very straight forward, little bit of ribbing but otherwise just stocking stitch, and they have it marked as "easy")

Have the wool ordered and very excited to get going :D

For the body just add extra rows. For the sleeves, add an extra row or two when increasing, say it want you to increase every 6th, so you could every 8th instead. Using your guage figure out how many extra rows you need for 5cm, divide it evenly between the increases and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

Thanks, everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Moved from tLL :)

No strictly a knitting question, but could I make a raw like seriously bulky yarn out of a raw sheeps skin?

I got a book in the library about spinning and I am no wiser after finishing it.

Basically I want to get a sheeps skin, make some yarn and either knit it on 50mm plus or on my arms?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    No strictly a knitting question, but could I make a raw like seriously bulky yarn out of a raw sheeps skin?

I got a book in the library about spinning and I am no wiser after finishing it.

Basically I want to get a sheeps skin, make some yarn and either knit it on 50mm plus or on my arms?

Firstly, when sheep are sheared the skin isn't removed, it's just like having a hair cut.
    Raw sheep wool, is very coarse, and unless it's been treated and cleaned properly it's going to be smelly, and dirty, and probably have little bits of vegetation and out stuff going through it.
    Seems like it could be a lot of work, but it's not something I've done.

Sorry, you're right, fleece I was thinking of.

Right so I get the fleece, I wash it in a big tub in the garden and it's lovely and clean, is it felted?

Would I have to use cold water and no detergent?

Actually finally found something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOW9bWBAlIY

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kazzie2

Gormal wrote: »
    I've pm'ed you about the charts :)
    hi im new to this ,i just saw that you have a skylander pattern and was wonder if u good sent me it please cant find skylanders pattern any where my little fellow wants me to knit one for him.thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

Hi WMPDD3

Right so I get the fleece, I wash it in a big tub in the garden and it's lovely and clean, is it felted?

An absolutely brilliant resoiurce for all matters spinning and fleece related is Ravelry, specifically but not exclusively in this case, the Fiber Prep group and the Raw Fleece group in Ravelry, www.ravelry.com, free to sign up.
    From what I know, only a beginner at treating fleece myself,
    the fleece will not felt in cold water, it will felt if it is subjected to changes of temperature in the soak water and with agitation. Some fleeces are quicker to felt than others. Do you want it a bit felted?

To clean the fleece, You can use a method called Fermented Suint Vat , which involves leaving the fleece in water in a large tub, in a slightly heated place, if I recall correctly and the stuff on the fleece will ferment, but when then rinsed etc, the fleece turns out beautifully clean.
    Or you can use luke warm water and some gentle detergent in a small basin and wash a small amount at a time, I have done this, in an old wash-up basin in the bath. You would probably want to 'skirt' the frllece first, if it's straight from the sheep, that is, unroll it outdoors and hand pick out the worst of the dirty scruffy edges and any bits of hay/twigs etc. (the bits you discard can be used as mulch in the garden or threaded onto bushes for birds to come and take for nests)

To make a very thick yarn out of fleece, (how much of it do you require?) well, if you just want a small amount I guess you could wash it as above and then spin it with a simple drop spindle made from a piece of dowelling and an old cd or wooden toy wheel, you can look that up too on You Tube or ravelry.
    You could even draft it then twist it by hand if you wanted it really thick, and not too much of it.
    It is the putting of twist into the fleece strips that makes it hold together as a yarn, so if you want to use it as yarn for knitting or weaving or crochet, you will need twist in the fleece, and for that you will need a spindle or spinning wheel. Lots of ideas on both youtube and ravelry.
    If you just want to use it for latch hook and the bits are short anyway , then you don't need to worry too much about spinning.
    I'd love to know more about what you are do ing and what kind of fleece you have and how it is going!
    regards
    d

kazzie2 wrote: »
    hi im new to this ,i just saw that you have a skylander pattern and was wonder if u good sent me it please cant find skylanders pattern any where my little fellow wants me to knit one for him.thanks

I don't have a pattern. I just made a couple of mini charts up as seen here

If you want me to try a particular character pm the size of motif and knitting guage and I'll see if I can do it;)

duckling10 wrote: »
    Hi WMPDD3

An absolutely ....... going!
    regards
    d

Oh thanks for that, I remember a girl in the corner in college doing something like that, she was spinning it with a door handle I think!

I just can's justify paying so much money for a few balls of roving when there are sheep's fleeces for sale for €15 in the field beside my mums!

Time, garden and tubs I have, money I dont!

Right I'll look into that that group and be ready for when the sheep get sheared.

I have knit before on my arms and with pipes (~ 60mm) but I usually use cut up t-shirts to the required thickness.

Ok so the book arrived and I think I'd like to make the reversible blanket (cos it's square!!)

Wool can be sourced with a quick google...grand.
    But they say you need 5mm circular needles, are there different lengths for these?

But they say you need 5mm circular needles, are there different lengths for these?
    Yes there are, I think my sets are 80cm and 40cm, what does the pattern ask for? They usually tell you.

How wide is the blanket? this is how long you need the plastic to be.

Pattern didn't mention a length for the needle.
    Blanket is 100 x 100 so I guess I'll go buy that length.

Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Pattern didn't mention a length for the needle.
    Blanket is 100 x 100 so I guess I'll go buy that length.

Thanks

You won't need the full 100cm, the stitches bunch up on the cable. I'd say 60cm will be more than enough.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You won't need the full 100cm, the stitches bunch up on the cable. I'd say 60cm will be more than enough.

Oh Lord I've so much to learn - I spotted a started kit for about 30 euro that has a few interchangeable cable lenghts and needle sizes.
    I might pick that up.

Advertisement