Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'A' level equivalents

• 15-01-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how Leaving cert results compare to A level results. For example, applying to a UK college and they are looking for a B in A level maths or equivalent, what Honours Leaving Cert grade equates ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/

Although I'd check with the course director first, a B in A level maths would be of quite higher value than an A in Honours Leaving Cert maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maureen55

Hi,

Having had children study up to age 18 in both the UK and Ireland, I can tell you that 'A' level Maths is at a much higher level than the Leaving Cert. In the UK, students only study up to a max. 4 subjects at 'A' level, but to a much greater depth. Check with the University that your qualifications would be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 figor

leaving cert is inferior.

You know you should have done A' levels.

However leaving cert still acceptable at most uk uni
    but not for top uni or top courses.

of course you can always fill up the CAo form!!!!!
    just ask your bank manager for his advice.
    I am sure he and the people at CAO will advise you along the right path!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Yeah, sure some Universities in Ireland accept GCSE (the UK equivalent of the Junior Cert.) to get in.. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

kaki wrote: »
    http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/

Although I'd check with the course director first, a B in A level maths would be of quite higher value than an A in Honours Leaving Cert maths.

As a matter of interest, do you know how many subjects can you use from your leaving for UK points? 6 like here or how does it work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

RexMundi wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, do you know how many subjects can you use from your leaving for UK points? 6 like here or how does it work?

An A grade in an A level is worth 120 UCAS points and the maximum points total is 360 from 3 A levels. An A1 at higher level in the leaving cert is worth 90 UCAS points, so I would say you would use your top 4 Leaving Cert subjects and you'd need to pass English and Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

burgess1 wrote: »
    An A grade in an A level is worth 120 UCAS points and the maximum points total is 360 from 3 A levels. An A1 at higher level in the leaving cert is worth 90 UCAS points, so I would say you would use your top 4 Leaving Cert subjects and you'd need to pass English and Maths.

Thankyou

Advertisement