Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MLB: 2013-2014 Off-season - Pre-season

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

So Miggy just got paid...the Tigers are definitely in win now mode. Some of these contracts may not look so good in a few years though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Coeus wrote: »
    So Miggy just got paid...the Tigers are definitely in win now mode. Some of these contracts may not look so good in a few years though...

300 million for a 31 year old may seem crazy in a few years but he is unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

300 million for a 31 year old may seem crazy in a few years but he is unbelievable.

All in for now and not worrying about down the road. If it works and they win a World Series or two over the next few years they won't mind paying him when he can't play like a superstar anymore.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Yeah, this seems completely bonker.

It's not the amount as much as the years. 30m/year is wackadoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    It's not the amount as much as the years. 30m/year is wackadoo.

30m/year for 5 years would be a very good deal in my opinion. "Very" taken in context, obviously.

Apart from Cabrera the big winners here are Harper and Trout. What are they going to get on their contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I'm just waiting for the collapse......it can't go on like this....on this trend you'll see the likes of Trout end up closer to $350million........adding $10-$15 million to the contract price every time a big player re-signs just isn't sustainable.

I'm just waiting for the collapse......it can't go on like this....on this trend you'll see the likes of Trout end up closer to $350million........adding $10-$15 million to the contract price every time a big player re-signs just isn't sustainable.

The collapse is on a team by team, owner by owner basis. It happened for the Red Sox when they shipped 300m of salary to the Dodgers.

Apart from Cabrera the big winners here are Harper and Trout. What are they going to get on their contracts?

Looks like half of that questions been answered. Trout, 6 years $144.5m extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Looks like half of that questions been answered. Trout, 6 years $144.5m extension.

That brings Trout into free agency when he is 29. Start the saving fund now, Angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

That was the deal that was been discussed all spring. Giving the sort of contracts been handed out of late, I guess its a good deal for both sides. Trout gets paid now rather than waiting for FA, as mentioned he will only be 29 so young enough to get one of those crazy contracts himself when the time comes. The Angels have a MVP calibre talent locked in for the next 6 years and plenty of time to hammer out an extension.

Trout gets paid now rather than waiting for FA, as mentioned he will only be 29 so young enough to get one of those crazy contracts himself when the time comes.

And God knows what the going rate for these 10 year contracts for 30 year olds will be then!

In other news Grady Sizemore will be the Red Sox opening center fielder! :)

So far there's been no setbacks and he ended up batting .330 in Spring Training.

And Xander Bogarts has really come alive the last few weeks.

This is gonna be a great year.

Oh yeah, and Stephen Drew is still without a home. How odd.

In other news Grady Sizemore will be the Red Sox opening center fielder! :)

So far there's been no setbacks and he ended up batting .330 in Spring Training.

And Xander Bogarts has really come alive the last few weeks.

This is gonna be a great year.

So your a Red Sox fan right? And Drew was an essential part of winning it all last season,I would be eternally grateful to a player who helped my club win it all but I guess thats just us non successful club fans

So your a Red Sox fan right? And Drew was an essential part of winning it all last season,I would be eternally grateful to a player who helped my club win it all but I guess thats just us non successful club fans

The Sox made him an offer, he refused.

You'll find that other players are taking salary cuts to STAY with the Sox, because it's a special club. Drew and his agent Boras, rejected am offer that was fair to the team and to the fans, and Drew has even said he regrets that decision.

So yeah, you need to look into this a bit more.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2014/03/random_spring_training_red_sox_thoughts.html

The Sox made him an offer, he refused.

You'll find that other players are taking salary cuts to STAY with the Sox, because it's a special club. Drew and his agent Boras, rejected am offer that was fair to the team and to the fans, and Drew has even said he regrets that decision.

So yeah, you need to look into this a bit more.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2014/03/random_spring_training_red_sox_thoughts.html

Just a personal thing I would just be grateful for the job the player did last season and wish him all the best in his future endeavours. Drew may regret not signing but I'm sure he'll land somewhere.

Just a personal thing I would just be grateful for the job the player did last season and wish him all the best in his future endeavours. Drew may regret not signing but I'm sure he'll land somewhere.

They were grateful enough to offer him a 5M raise.

He thought he could do better and walked when the club refused to be held ransom... they have deep prospects and getting in deep with a shortstop that limits their ability to use their prospects is a silly move.

He turned down 15M and won't be playing baseball on opening day.

For comparison, David Ortiz makes 15M and Pedroia makes 13M.

Who in their right mind thinks Drew is more valuable than either of those guys?

Scott Boras.

They were grateful enough to offer him a 5M raise.

He thought he could do better and walked when the club refused to be held ransom... they have deep prospects and getting in deep with a shortstop that limits their ability to use their prospects is a silly move.

He turned down 15M and won't be playing baseball on opening day.

For comparison, David Ortiz makes 15M and Pedroia makes 13M.

Who in their right mind thinks Drew is more valuable than either of those guys?

Scott Boras.

to each their own like I said its just a personal thing I would just be happy to have won a WS and would be eternally grateful to the player for the part he played.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭8-10

to each their own like I said its just a personal thing I would just be happy to have won a WS and would be eternally grateful to the player for the part he played.

We all wish Jacoby Ellsbury well this year also....

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    We all wish Jacoby Ellsbury well this year also....

Good to hear 8-10, good to hear!

Being eternally grateful and making bad decisions for the club are different things... they offered him a good deal - better than anyone else has - and he walked... no one is ungrateful; that's you projecting onto the situation...

Being eternally grateful and making bad decisions for the club are different things... they offered him a good deal - better than anyone else has - and he walked... no one is ungrateful; that's you projecting onto the situation...

me commenting on your snide remark on Drew is hardly projecting now is it.

But enough of that its Opening DAY!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Pre-season officially over......death to this thread....PLAY BALL!

me commenting on your snide remark on Drew is hardly projecting now is it.

But enough of that its Opening DAY!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

I assume this was the remark that set you off?:

Not sure how that could be considered "snide" and in fact I think that even more projecting on your part, but hey it's opening day. Live and let live.

Advertisement