Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MLB: 2013 Season Thread

Options
1343536373840»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

8-10 wrote: »
    Yep. Woodrow Wilson was President!

not many people alive today if any that remember the 1918 win but the cubs last win :D a cementary is your best bet. And sure adolf wasn't a mentalist then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Elsbury avoided a run down in the 5th inning.
    I think its the first time I have ever seen that happen.

Is that seriously not scored as an error? How can you let somebody escape a run down and not charge an error to anybody? It doesn't get recorded as a stolen base attempt either as he didn't advance but wasn't put out either

Big big moment now. Cards have bases loaded in 7th. Just scored a run. 5 behind...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Exciting top of the 7th. Tv was on in the background and I got drawn in.

I dont really care who wins the series but Id like it to go to a Game 7 so i hope St.louis pulls it off. Not looking good for them though.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Exciting top of the 7th. Tv was on in the background and I got drawn in.

I dont really care who wins the series but Id like it to go to a Game 7 so i hope St.louis pulls it off. Not looking good for them though.

I can't handle another night of this!! Would be hugely demoralising to lose from here! Let's go Red Sox!!

• Advertisement

Get in!!!! CHAMPIONS! Time to shave off this beard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Congrats to the Red Sox!! Never thought after last seasons mess and with the signings they made they could turn it around so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Did you actually grow a beard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

A very enjoyable series and a great playoffs in general. Sad that's it now til next March. How many days until opening day?

kmart6 wrote: »
    Did you actually grow a beard?

Yep whole month of October. :) Gone now

• Advertisement

Were we talking Chuck Norris type beard or Brian Wilson type?

A very enjoyable series and a great playoffs in general. Sad that's it now til next March. How many days until opening day?
    I make it 142 days, give or take a few hours. Not sure what times those games in OZ start at...

Pity you got rid of the beard. I've had mine for 3 year odd years now and cant imagine life without it :)

I would love to emulate Mr. Wilsons growth but to keep all parties happy I keep it in check :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

When Stephen Drew hits a home run you know the night is going well.

Not getting overly excited yet though, long way to go

:D I knew I probably wouldn't manage to stay awake and fell asleep in the "ad break" in the middle of third. I thought I'd dreamt that Drew hit a home run. When I saw it it this afternoon, I had a good laugh. I obviously woke up, saw him hit and fell back asleep.

Great series. Great win. Fairytale stuff. It wouldn't have been the same if they'd swept the cards, or won it in 5. This year, of all years, it really needed to be won in Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Coeus wrote: »
    I make it 142 days, give or take a few hours. Not sure what times those games in OZ start at...

Is baseball popular in Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Is baseball popular in Australia?

Over 500 clubs.

http://www.baseball.com.au

DubTony wrote: »

And according to Wikipedia they have a pro league too that is funded in part by MLB. There are few Aussie major leaguers as well so I'd say it has the potential to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

And according to Wikipedia they have a pro league too that is funded in part by MLB. There are few Aussie major leaguers as well so I'd say it has the potential to grow.

Here are the Major Leaguers at present:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Baseball#Notable_players

Grant Balfour - Oakland Athletics

Travis Blackley - Texas Rangers
    Peter Moylan - Los Angeles Dodgers
    Ryan Rowland-Smith - Chicago Cubs
    Brad Thomas - Detroit Tigers
    Richard Thompson - Tampa Bay Rays
    Josh Spence - New York Yankees
    Liam Hendricks - Minnesota Twins
    Luke Hughes - Toronto Blue Jays

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Is that seriously not scored as an error? How can you let somebody escape a run down and not charge an error to anybody? It doesn't get recorded as a stolen base attempt either as he didn't advance but wasn't put out either

I believe an error would have only been awarded if Ellsbury had reached second base.. As he didn't advance, then there is no error on the play.

Still cant believe the Sox won, it was a nail biting postseason. Looking back they beat some pitching (Price and Moore for Rays), (Verlander and Scherzer for Tigers) and finally Wainwright and Wacha.. that is an impressive feat. It was a different enjoyment to '04 but loved it every bit as much!!!!

Kinda32 wrote: »
    I believe an error would have only been awarded if Ellsbury had reached second base.. As he didn't advance, then there is no error on the play.

Yep effectively nothing happened and no play is actually recorded.

I understand why that is and the limitations of scoring in what is a rare edge case but I guess when I was watching it it seemed illogical to not score anything.

Did he attempt to steal? Kind of, I think it was more that he took too big a lead and was caught in no-mans. But he was caught on a run down, at that point he should be out. The only reason he reaches base is if someone f's up. I say reaches base because at that point he's not at 1st and not at 2nd. Something needs to happen to get anywhere. In the end I think it was the pitcher who positioned himself too far off the bag to tag Ellsbury who rounded him before he received the catch.

To me it's a play, but it will never be recorded as anything. In reality he should have been out stealing and an error prevented that. Was interesting moment, and pretty cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

For those that asked about ESPNA dropping coverage of MLB games in europe. I just saw an article that Fox International have bought the european screening rights.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-international-channels-takes-mlb-650574

For those that asked about ESPNA dropping coverage of MLB games in europe. I just saw an article that Fox International have bought the european screening rights.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fox-international-channels-takes-mlb-650574

I wonder is Ireland/Uk one of the 30 European markets mentioned. When ESPNA shut across Europe I'd imagine a lot of places were left without baseball coverage whereas we weren't. I don't know the length of the deal that remains on the ESPN (now BT) contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Don't tell me you grew it cause a team of professionals playing together did it as they were sharing in something?!

Advertisement