Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha
I was just thinking, we're nearly halfway through the Trump presidency. Possibly more if he decides to run for a second term and spends much of the last year campaigning.
So, has he actually accomplished anything aside from helping to deepen the chasm in American Politics? I see no sign of this but perhaps someone else has...
From what Ive gleamed from various Trump supporters there are a few things they believe he has achieved, though we might look on them differently.
1. Regulation cutting; a lot of this pertains to federal agencies rather than legislation getting passed. The idea is less regulations less burden on business, frankly im not sure being able to dump coal debris in the water is the way to go, but thats the philosophy.
2. Tax cuts; an actual achievement in the sense it managed to get through congress. Its being used to take credit for the present economic fortunes of the US, which I cant fully agree with, given Obama era trends. Certainly makes cutting the debt a more difficult prospect.
3. Judicial nominations; I would ascribe these more to Mitch McConnells persistence than anything else but one way or another Trump is getting his picks, and if you love guns and hate abortion thats the way to go.
4. Embassy move to Jersualem; again if you favour us israeli cooperation this might seem like a goos thing. Frankly I fail to see why that relationship needed improving, let alone why a us bargaining chip needed to be thrown away, again perspective.
5. "Changing the atmosphere"; this is a more vague "achievement" but in trump (conservative) people appear to have found a champion for their impulses, be it opposition to illegal immigration or trans people. Little enough sign of the wall though.
6. Trade; related to the above point and combined with the economic situation, trump has been good at convincing us citizens he is putting their interests first. Honestly I think this is less about advancing us interests as much as it is selling some pretty meagre or vague deals as enormous success, the recent post nafta mexcio deal being a good example of that.
In short, one estimation might say he has not done alot, but for the people who support him ita probably more attention than they have gotten in a long while, so they love him for it.