Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-08-2018, 22:04   #1
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Has Donald Trump actually achieved anything as President?

I was just thinking, we're nearly halfway through the Trump presidency. Possibly more if he decides to run for a second term and spends much of the last year campaigning.

So, has he actually accomplished anything aside from helping to deepen the chasm in American Politics? I see no sign of this but perhaps someone else has...
Advertisement
30-08-2018, 23:21   #2
Irish Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
I was just thinking, we're nearly halfway through the Trump presidency. Possibly more if he decides to run for a second term and spends much of the last year campaigning.

So, has he actually accomplished anything aside from helping to deepen the chasm in American Politics? I see no sign of this but perhaps someone else has...
From what Ive gleamed from various Trump supporters there are a few things they believe he has achieved, though we might look on them differently.

1. Regulation cutting; a lot of this pertains to federal agencies rather than legislation getting passed. The idea is less regulations less burden on business, frankly im not sure being able to dump coal debris in the water is the way to go, but thats the philosophy.

2. Tax cuts; an actual achievement in the sense it managed to get through congress. Its being used to take credit for the present economic fortunes of the US, which I cant fully agree with, given Obama era trends. Certainly makes cutting the debt a more difficult prospect.

3. Judicial nominations; I would ascribe these more to Mitch McConnells persistence than anything else but one way or another Trump is getting his picks, and if you love guns and hate abortion thats the way to go.

4. Embassy move to Jersualem; again if you favour us israeli cooperation this might seem like a goos thing. Frankly I fail to see why that relationship needed improving, let alone why a us bargaining chip needed to be thrown away, again perspective.

5. "Changing the atmosphere"; this is a more vague "achievement" but in trump (conservative) people appear to have found a champion for their impulses, be it opposition to illegal immigration or trans people. Little enough sign of the wall though.

6. Trade; related to the above point and combined with the economic situation, trump has been good at convincing us citizens he is putting their interests first. Honestly I think this is less about advancing us interests as much as it is selling some pretty meagre or vague deals as enormous success, the recent post nafta mexcio deal being a good example of that.

In short, one estimation might say he has not done alot, but for the people who support him ita probably more attention than they have gotten in a long while, so they love him for it.
31-08-2018, 09:32   #3
For Forks Sake

heading for nearly 5000 verifiable lies told
Thanks from:
31-08-2018, 11:28   #4
Quin_Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Praetorian View Post
From what Ive gleamed from various Trump supporters there are a few things they believe he has achieved, though we might look on them differently.

1. Regulation cutting; a lot of this pertains to federal agencies rather than legislation getting passed. The idea is less regulations less burden on business, frankly im not sure being able to dump coal debris in the water is the way to go, but thats the philosophy.

2. Tax cuts; an actual achievement in the sense it managed to get through congress. Its being used to take credit for the present economic fortunes of the US, which I cant fully agree with, given Obama era trends. Certainly makes cutting the debt a more difficult prospect.

3. Judicial nominations; I would ascribe these more to Mitch McConnells persistence than anything else but one way or another Trump is getting his picks, and if you love guns and hate abortion thats the way to go.

4. Embassy move to Jersualem; again if you favour us israeli cooperation this might seem like a goos thing. Frankly I fail to see why that relationship needed improving, let alone why a us bargaining chip needed to be thrown away, again perspective.

5. "Changing the atmosphere"; this is a more vague "achievement" but in trump (conservative) people appear to have found a champion for their impulses, be it opposition to illegal immigration or trans people. Little enough sign of the wall though.

6. Trade; related to the above point and combined with the economic situation, trump has been good at convincing us citizens he is putting their interests first. Honestly I think this is less about advancing us interests as much as it is selling some pretty meagre or vague deals as enormous success, the recent post nafta mexcio deal being a good example of that.

In short, one estimation might say he has not done alot, but for the people who support him ita probably more attention than they have gotten in a long while, so they love him for it.
This is the thing..

As outsiders looking in from here in Ireland , everything he touches seems to be an utter shambles.

But for his core voters , they are getting what they wanted/expected from him.

Right-wing Conservative/Evangelical types - He's already given them a Supreme court Judge that is aligned to their world-view and may get to give them at least one other , thereby significantly shifting the balance of the SCOTUS in their favour potentially for decades.

Large Corporations , Core GOP Voters / Believers in "Trickle down economics" etc. - He's given them major long term tax cuts allowing them to buy back stock at unprecedented levels. He's also cut legislation that supports the "old-school" industries - Coal , Steel , Heavy manufacturing , allow them to compete globally by relieving them of obligations around safety and the environment.. Great for profits , crap for people and the planet...He's also helping the older monopolies , like the Telco's with the FCC removing Net neutrality etc.

And last but not least , the Poor Angry Uneducated White Voter - He's made their s***ty opinions mainstream and fed their perceptions that they have no responsibility for their lot in life but that it's the fault of the brown or yellow guy. This is mostly because he himself is incapable of accepting responsibility for anything bad that happens to him , so his own rampant insecurity and self-entitlement is feeding theirs and they love him for it.
(3) thanks from:
31-08-2018, 15:15   #5
Irish Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin_Dub View Post
This is the thing..

As outsiders looking in from here in Ireland , everything he touches seems to be an utter shambles.

But for his core voters , they are getting what they wanted/expected from him.

Right-wing Conservative/Evangelical types - He's already given them a Supreme court Judge that is aligned to their world-view and may get to give them at least one other , thereby significantly shifting the balance of the SCOTUS in their favour potentially for decades.

Large Corporations , Core GOP Voters / Believers in "Trickle down economics" etc. - He's given them major long term tax cuts allowing them to buy back stock at unprecedented levels. He's also cut legislation that supports the "old-school" industries - Coal , Steel , Heavy manufacturing , allow them to compete globally by relieving them of obligations around safety and the environment.. Great for profits , crap for people and the planet...He's also helping the older monopolies , like the Telco's with the FCC removing Net neutrality etc.

And last but not least , the Poor Angry Uneducated White Voter - He's made their s***ty opinions mainstream and fed their perceptions that they have no responsibility for their lot in life but that it's the fault of the brown or yellow guy. This is mostly because he himself is incapable of accepting responsibility for anything bad that happens to him , so his own rampant insecurity and self-entitlement is feeding theirs and they love him for it.

I'm very much inclined to agree with all of that, with a bit of a rider what you term the 'Core GOP voter' or what we might regard as the ideological Republican. I think has managed to bait and switch a lot of Republican ideology during his term in office, especially on things like international free trade and reduction of the deficit - now those used to be seen as good things and worthy objectives, now they have been turned on there head and I don't think anyone apart from the most ideologically concerned Republican really gives a damn about it. In fact I think it might even be surprising how little the rank and file Republican voter cares about those ostensibly core issues.
Advertisement
02-09-2018, 18:27   #6
Eric Cartman

He has spent almost 2 years making the American left upset, completely destroying the credibility of some news outlets, creating such irrational anger and derangement by a section of society who thought they mattered.

On a physical level : cutting taxes and regulation , improving border controls and removing illegal migrants, building stronger ties with foreign nations of importance , helping to de-nuclearise North Korea , Putting policies in that actually put America first.

Most of his supporters are American born white straight people , working class all the way up to billionaires, he's giving them exactly what they wanted, he's looking after the people that looked after him.

Unemployment is at a record low, the economy is at a record high , you might say the curve swang that way under Obama but the market is fickle and would have dampened if they were worried about trumps plans.

and more importantly , he has survived the most sustained, inflated and reactionary media smear campaign in history.

is he on Ronald Reagan levels of brilliant presidents - no , is he better than the 2016 alternative Hillary - absolutely in every respect , will he get re-elected - I think likely.
(2) thanks from:
06-09-2018, 16:14   #7
MayoSalmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
He has spent almost 2 years making the American left upset, completely destroying the credibility of some news outlets, creating such irrational anger and derangement by a section of society who thought they mattered.

On a physical level : cutting taxes and regulation , improving border controls and removing illegal migrants, building stronger ties with foreign nations of importance , helping to de-nuclearise North Korea , Putting policies in that actually put America first.

Most of his supporters are American born white straight people , working class all the way up to billionaires, he's giving them exactly what they wanted, he's looking after the people that looked after him.

Unemployment is at a record low, the economy is at a record high , you might say the curve swang that way under Obama but the market is fickle and would have dampened if they were worried about trumps plans.

and more importantly , he has survived the most sustained, inflated and reactionary media smear campaign in history.

is he on Ronald Reagan levels of brilliant presidents - no , is he better than the 2016 alternative Hillary - absolutely in every respect , will he get re-elected - I think likely.
Well that should be obvious since straight white males are a huge proportion of the vote.

Trump got 29% of Hispanic votes which was greater than the 27% who voted for Romney.

It also should be pointed out that Clinton's support among incomes below $30,000 was well down on Obama's in 2012.

Obama had 63% support from that group compared with Clinton who had 53%.

Hope, change all that ****e didn't work and lower income Americans were not going to vote for another 4 years of the same policies.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion