Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying watch off of ebay

• 01-06-2019 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I really like the Rotary ultra slim range of watches and have just spotted one for sale on ebay that is reasonably priced.
    I know very little about watches and am worried I could be buying a fake watch. I have attached a link to this watch below and would appreciate if some of you could take a look and advise me?

Is the watch real?
    How much would of this being worth from new?
    etc....

Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Rotary-Swiss-Ultra-Slim-GS08200-01-/323817880889

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try to gauge how serious the seller is
    jemnicole (255 Feedback score: 255)
    98.6% Positive Feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kealyboy

biko wrote: »
    Try to gauge how serious the seller is

Yea I was looking at the feedback score, the seller seem pretty genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Nobody in their right mind makes fake watches that have an aftermarket value of €37.00.

Rotary is sold new in Argos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There are fake Casio digitals and lower end Citizen and Seiko. Crazy I agree, but fakers will copy anything if they see any sort of profit. Though I would agree Rotary would be off their radars I reckon.

Oddly enough, when I was first buying "old watches" in junk shops and the like back in the 80's Rotary were very common and seen as a "good watch" back then.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kealyboy

Wibbs wrote: »
    There are fake Casio digitals and lower end Citizen and Seiko. Crazy I agree, but fakers will copy anything if they see any sort of profit. Though I would agree Rotary would be off their radars I reckon.

Oddly enough, when I was first buying "old watches" in junk shops and the like back in the 80's Rotary were very common and seen as a "good watch" back then.
    I am not a watch enthusiast by any stretch of the imagination. Although i do like the idea of having an ultra slim watch that has a classic vintage feel to it. Something that is timeless, that I could still be wearing in 30 years time.

Hopefully this watch will live up to my expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

https://www.watchshop.com/rotary-ultra-slim-watches.html?gender=mens

£37 +P&P seems good to me, and the Seller looks reliable....

TBH I wouldn't expect to get 30 yrs service from this watch - or many others either!

The watch has an inexpensive quartz movement, possibly Chinese, that will be reliable for several, if not many, years.

30 years? Hmm...I wouldn't bet on that.

Buy and enjoy!

Advertisement