Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talking - to a Car Designer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Is it possible for air bags to go off if a car is hit and the ignition is off

Why don't air bags always go off when it looks like a car is hit hard enough and vice versa

Can u name any of the previous cars u have a hand in designing

Are u responsible for any of the major safety systems seen nowadays in mass produced cars

Not sure you answered this earlier. What has been the biggest leap forward in automotive safety since the seat belt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

Cheers for your time.

in relation to safety and Lights, and the European Rule for DRL's for all New cars.

why cant they ( manufacturers ) go above and beyond the call of regulations and actually just make it that as soon as the engine goes on, your full rear and headlights go on.
    it will stop the countless threads on boards and people becoming angry when they see idiots driving with only their front DRL's on in the middle of the night in a rain storm.

oh, and are wing mirrors an after thought on cars when designing, they always seem to whistle,
    and they cause rain splash and dirt on side windows.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

As a kid, I was always fascinated by Volvo's having their lights lights on all throughout the day. Is this true or am I imagining it. Think an 8 year old me asked my dad why and he said it's because it's dark in Scandinavia for longer. Am I making all this up or was that the case? Could they be switched off?

Also, I think we had a Renault 18 back in the late 80's/early 90's and seem to recall that the headlights had mini wipers on them. Do you remember this and if so, what's that about? Was it for snow or dirt? Was there a water valve too?

Does Lewis Hamilton look like Theo Walcott and are they the same person?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Have you ever been involved in a crash?

If so, would be curious to hear of the circumstances!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Zebrano wrote: »
    Is it possible for air bags to go off if a car is hit and the ignition is off

Why don't air bags always go off when it looks like a car is hit hard enough and vice versa

Can u name any of the previous cars u have a hand in designing

Are u responsible for any of the major safety systems seen nowadays in mass produced cars

Not sure you answered this earlier. What has been the biggest leap forward in automotive safety since the seat belt

No. There is usually a/multiple accelerometers which must provide a reading to one or more ECUs which determine fire/no-fire.

This also answers the second question, the fire/no-fire is determined based on the accelerations reached. The airbag doesn't always go off.

Depending on the vehicle I've worked on, I've been responsible for the side-crash performance, pedestrian impact performance, seat-belt archorage retention, ISOFIX - and am now also responsible for front and rear high speed and roof crush. So yeah, most structural performance. The systems have been primarily, the Body in White, Doors and Seats.

I've only been in the game for about 7 years, and seatbelts came in what, in the 60s? So in my time, I guess ISOFIX has been a major improvement. The proper protection of babies and young children has improved immensley in vehicles.
    rameire wrote: »
    Cheers for your time.

in relation to safety and Lights, and the European Rule for DRL's for all New cars.

why cant they ( manufacturers ) go above and beyond the call of regulations and actually just make it that as soon as the engine goes on, your full rear and headlights go on.
    it will stop the countless threads on boards and people becoming angry when they see idiots driving with only their front DRL's on in the middle of the night in a rain storm.

oh, and are wing mirrors an after thought on cars when designing, they always seem to whistle,
    and they cause rain splash and dirt on side windows.

I agree, I wish they'd just quit the messing about and have the lights on at all times. Ask Mr.David (below) about the whistling - he's q bit of experience onn that. I must say, I've never (noticed or) experienced that in a car before...
    Omackeral wrote: »
    As a kid, I was always fascinated by Volvo's having their lights lights on all throughout the day. Is this true or am I imagining it. Think an 8 year old me asked my dad why and he said it's because it's dark in Scandinavia for longer. Am I making all this up or was that the case? Could they be switched off?

Also, I think we had a Renault 18 back in the late 80's/early 90's and seem to recall that the headlights had mini wipers on them. Do you remember this and if so, what's that about? Was it for snow or dirt? Was there a water valve too?

Does Lewis Hamilton look like Theo Walcott and are they the same person?

Don't all the Scandi cars do this? To be honest a quick google could solve all this...

Yes they're the same person, obvs
    Mr.David wrote: »
    Have you ever been involved in a crash?

If so, would be curious to hear of the circumstances!

:pac:

Yes. I've repressed that memory though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

The safety systems of a modern car are incredible. Even the disparity between the two ends of the safety spectrum in cars that can be bought today is quite large. What FEA packages do you use for simulation? How do you think new technology will impact your job? Will there be less of a requirement for 10+ airbags in a car which will intervene before a crash?

(Working in a Teir one supplier myself, and the level of detail that goes into absolutely every single part on a modern car is beyond belief.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The safety systems of a modern car are incredible. Even the disparity between the two ends of the safety spectrum in cars that can be bought today is quite large. What FEA packages do you use for simulation? How do you think new technology will impact your job? Will there be less of a requirement for 10+ airbags in a car which will intervene before a crash?

(Working in a Teir one supplier myself, and the level of detail that goes into absolutely every single part on a modern car is beyond belief.)

I use as solvers, LS-DYNA and RADIOSS. Pre: Hypermesh, Ansa, Primer, Hypercrash. Post: Hyperview, THis, D3PLOT, Hypergraph, Animator 3.

The law and consumer tests would need to change for passive safety systems to be relaxed. I do hope it will happen though. The hope would be that eventually cars will no longer impact other cars or stationary objects. However, pedestrian, cyclist etc. impacts will most probably always happen. I think safety design will move much more towards environmental safety than occupant safety. This for all motoring lovers out there could lead to some very frumpy looking cars... On the other hand, if passive safety systems get lessened, there's more package for absorbing impacts of pedestrians, and package is absolute key to delivering pedestrian safety so knows where design could head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

enda1 wrote: »
    To really answer your question though, I thing the next real groundbreaking technology in cars will be autonomy.

Electronic handbrakes. Why?

If electronic parking brakes are a step towards autonomy, I'm not sure I want to see the next step.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks for al of the questions folks and a big thank you to enda1 for taking the time to answer them!

I'm going to close this up now. No new AMA today as we wouldn;t expect anyone to feel they have to log in over the holidays but we will be back with a new one in January.

If you'd like to sign up to be the subject of a future AMA hotseat, please fill out this form. Please do tell any of your friends who might be interested/interesting (even the non-Boardsie ones :eek:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement