Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hoping to become a Primary school teacher

Options
  • 17-07-2019 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice. Basically I’m in a very unfulfilling career and a few weeks away from my 40th. I have been thinking a lot about retraining to be a primary teacher and I’m determined to give it a go now. I have a 4 year plan

My planned route is to study Irish to achieve the H4 and then onto the Hibernia course. With regards Irish - like a lot of people I had no interest in school and struggled to get a C in ordinary so with that in mind I’m going to go back firstly and do the Ordinary level Irish paper again before progressing to higher the year after. Then fingers crossed I get accepted into the hibernia course and I can finally give my notice and run

Anyone gone back and retrained - any thoughts on my route - any advice

Thanks

Comments

Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice. Basically I’m in a very unfulfilling career and a few weeks away from my 40th. I have been thinking a lot about retraining to be a primary teacher and I’m determined to give it a go now. I have a 4 year plan

My planned route is to study Irish to achieve the H4 and then onto the Hibernia course. With regards Irish - like a lot of people I had no interest in school and struggled to get a C in ordinary so with that in mind I’m going to go back firstly and do the Ordinary level Irish paper again before progressing to higher the year after. Then fingers crossed I get accepted into the hibernia course and I can finally give my notice and run

Thanks

It'll take 2 years to achieve the Irish requirement. Do you have a primary degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Skerries1234

It'll take 2 years to achieve the Irish requirement. Do you have a primary degree?

Yes - I have a primary degree. Plan to do the ordinary level in 1 year then the higher level the year after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

If you already have ordinary level Irish, albeit a long time ago, why do it again?
    Maybe think of spending the two years focused on higher level.

echo beach wrote: »
    If you already have ordinary level Irish, albeit a long time ago, why do it again?
    Maybe think of spending the two years focused on higher level.

That’s a fair point and it was my initial thought process - but after debating it I thought that doing the ordinary as an intro back into the language - practicing the aural and oral etc - might prove beneficial and a good stepping stone to the higher paper. It’s been 22 years since I’ve studied the language so I think I need a softer intro than the higher level would be

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sarahdylan

Hi All

Thanks

I would advise you to not focus on the Leaving Cert and instead focus on the TEG interview.its done one a year around February and can be used instead of leaving cert Irish once you get over 60% I think

• Advertisement

sarahdylan wrote: »
    I would advise you to not focus on the Leaving Cert and instead focus on the TEG interview.its done one a year around February and can be used instead of leaving cert Irish once you get over 60% I think

I haven’t looked into this at all - is it a full course then exam. Might be worth a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sarahdylan

I haven’t looked into this at all - is it a full course then exam. Might be worth a thought

Now I’m not 100% if you can use this instead of the leaving cert requirement but you can definitely use it instead of the Irish interview which would help your chances of getting in massively. Ring Hibernia tomorrow and ask them they’re very helpful!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can I also suggest you try to volunteer with the primary age group ? It may open your eyes to what you could be doing down the line .

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jackieo79

Do the TEG Irish exam in Maynooth instead of repeating Leaving Cert Higher Level.

jackieo79 wrote: »
    Do the TEG Irish exam in Maynooth instead of repeating Leaving Cert Higher Level.

I’ll have to give Hibernia a ring and see if that is accepted then

On terms of the TEG then - is it a year course then an exam - do they provide the classes etc - sorry I know I could google but just seeing if it’s possibke to do while working full time

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement