Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You’ve 3 left out of how many originally?

Have 8 left out of 10 with the A-linne bull all 3rd lactation plus, their was 12 other swedish red crosses of 3 different bulls that where all culled by end of 2nd lactation due to numerous issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Have 8 left out of 10 with the A-linne bull all 3rd lactation plus, their was 12 other swedish red crosses of 3 different bulls that where all culled by end of 2nd lactation due to numerous issues

genomic or daughter proven sires at time of ai ,out of interest??

genomic or daughter proven sires at time of ai ,out of interest??

A-linne was 99% reliability the others where genomic, this years favorite heifer is a lavaman another 99% reliability bull of one of the sr crosses...
    Don’t think you’d be going to far wrong with a herd of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 29,055 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cant seem to read this as I'm not on twitter

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Cant seem to read this as I'm not on twitter

There's a problem with the link. I'll get the proper link tomorrow and fire it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭straight

There's a problem with the link. I'll get the proper link tomorrow and fire it up.

Correct link bit.ly/LYONS0807192

straight wrote: »

Cheers, I was just going looking for it:)

We would always be looking for someone to milk cows the odd evening and it's hard enough to get the FRS unless you book well in advance. We had a man come looking for work last night and another this morning, both seem to know their way around a parlour so I must give them a few milkings soon.

There are lads out there but we don't always come across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Gotta love land drainage, over a km of pipe and near 200 tonne of stone and the digger still here, all for the sake of 8 or 9 acres....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Cheers, I was just going looking for it:)

We would always be looking for someone to milk cows the odd evening and it's hard enough to get the FRS unless you book well in advance. We had a man come looking for work last night and another this morning, both seem to know their way around a parlour so I must give them a few milkings soon.

There are lads out there but we don't always come across them.

If anyone needs relief milkers in the east Wicklow North wexford area I know half a dozen lads looking for work.

Anyways making silage mid July, the same day as this part of the farm is burnt up this bad, that's a winwin in my book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

If anyone is looking for relief milkers in Laois/Offaly gimme a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Mooooo wrote: »
    Gotta love land drainage, over a km of pipe and near 200 tonne of stone and the digger still here, all for the sake of 8 or 9 acres....
    Still cheaper than buying replacement ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Still cheaper than buying replacement ground!

I bought this place as well!! Twice the idiot I spose

Do any of ye ever get your milk tank solids independently tested? I don't trust my co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Mooooo wrote: »
    I bought this place as well!! Twice the idiot I spose

I'm at the same craic. Bought 13 acres in January, will have nearly 13 grand put into it between stone, drainage pipe and digger work. My dad has 100s hours put into it, only about 90 to 100 myself. But grass seeds next week hopefully on the 4 acres of reclaimed bog and scrub hill.

Do any of ye ever get your milk tank solids independently tested? I don't trust my co-op.

Do you send a sample of your bulk tank with the milk recorder?

No. The lady that does the recording doesn't have any interest in taking it from the tank. Might push it more the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Always a sample taken from the tank here. And the results rarely reflect the coop results, however I wouldnt have huge confidence in the PG results in any case.

I did it years ago, the results weren't a surprise. You'll have to get a sample taken by the manager now and the results will be fairly close.

The next unchecked sample will be back to the same as before your check, though.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Always a sample taken from the tank here. And the results rarely reflect the coop results, however I wouldnt have huge confidence in the PG results in any case.

I havent done it in a while but they used to just say that the milk recording is only 1 day and you're on 2 day collection or whatever. Now that I'm on every day collection it would be interesting to see .

• Advertisement

It's kind of a big deal when you're paid on solids. According to my tank dipstick the volume is wrong too but that could be down to the slope.

Dried off some autumn calvers this morning. Will be milking just under 10 rows now. The pressure is off. Find anything over 10 rows hardship

Dried off some autumn calvers this morning. Will be milking just under 10 rows now. The pressure is off. Find anything over 10 rows hardship

When do expect to be milking in the new parlour?

When do expect to be milking in the new parlour?

Just doing new cubicle shed this year. Will wait until young lad has green cert to do the parlour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I havent done it in a while but they used to just say that the milk recording is only 1 day and you're on 2 day collection or whatever. Now that I'm on every day collection it would be interesting to see .

It still won't add up
    Yours etc
    The cynic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

How did he do?

The feckers were reading this forum!!

R minus, minus, 3 +, 41months,
    Gross 562 kgs. Net 550.76 kgs.
    Price 2.40/kg.

Just doing new cubicle shed this year. Will wait until young lad has green cert to do the parlour

Was talking to shed man there. He said it's very hard to get concrete atm it's all going to Dublin . A week waiting list in kilsaran. Plant is 2 miles over the road from us. We using o Reilly concrete but still a long wait. Boom is still going on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Was talking to shed man there. He said it's very hard to get concrete atm it's all going to Dublin . A week waiting list in kilsaran. Plant is 2 miles over the road from us. We using o Reilly concrete but still a long wait. Boom is still going on

Out of interest, what’s the Tams worth when the young lad has the green cert? Just a ballpark figure please?

50N concrete is around €188-200 for a cubic mètre here...carbon tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Not many planning bringing a young fellow into farming in the present scenario, huge down ward pressure on food prices now.
    Often thought it wasn't worth the bother here and then subsidies came and turned the whole thing around........for a while so maybe it'll turn again, at least young farmers aren't blocked from getting into dairying

• Advertisement

Out of interest, what’s the Tams worth when the young lad has the green cert? Just a ballpark figure please?

50N concrete is around €188-200 for a cubic mètre here...carbon tax!

60% grant aid young farmer up to 80k, if joint application in partnership you can avail of 50% grant aid on 160k, problem is parlour men and builders are swallowing up any cost savings with jacked up rates, put in a 20 unit parlour pit/stall work/holding yard/shed and dairy here in 12 for sub 20k granted we done a nice bit of work ourselves, to get the same work done now 60k wouldn’t get you out and that’s provided you could get someone to do it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement