Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Rivas could well beat Whyte. He'll have to take those fights he avoided to build himself back up then. It could end up being a bad year for Eddie if Joshua then goes on to lose his rematch with Ruiz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Rivas could well beat Whyte. He'll have to take those fights he avoided to build himself back up then. It could end up being a bad year for Eddie if Joshua then goes on to lose his rematch with Ruiz.

It’s an interesting match up. I’m going to that fight. I personally think Whyte will be too big and ignorant for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Miccoli wrote: »
    Turned down title shot vs Joshua aswell as 2 final eliminators vs pulev and ortiz in order to take the chisora rematch for bigger money which is fair enough but he has no one to blame bar himself for not having got a shot yet.

Exactly. Can't understand why people have the violin out for Whyte.

He's beat a British level Lucas Browne, gone life and death with a European level Chisora twice and scraped by Parker who's nothing special at all. He's picked the easiest route possible and made a tonne of money on PPV in the process. Dunno why anyone would feel sorry for him. Needs to fight better opposition before he's granted a title shot. Usyk 100% is more deserving after unifying one of the toughest divisions in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Morrison J wrote: »
    Made a tonne of money on PPV in the process.

This is part of the problem. Hes been carried along on AJs coat tails, being built by Hearn as a possible opponent for stadium fights down the line, and has lucked into a period where fans are willing to pay PPV money for mid level boxing. Good luck to him, but now he thinks hes a top draw and A level fighter so turns down fights that are "beneath him" financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This is part of the problem. Hes been carried along on AJs coat tails, being built by Hearn as a possible opponent for stadium fights down the line, and has lucked into a period where fans are willing to pay PPV money for mid level boxing. Good luck to him, but now he thinks hes a top draw and A level fighter so turns down fights that are "beneath him" financially.

To be fair to him, he has totally changed his public imagine and cleaned up his act in front of the camera's in a bid to make more cash and it has worked for him

Reminds me a lot of Bellew who was also polished up by Eddie and changed his whole public imagine ,

The two lads are rough as F*ck but listened to Eddie and matchroom and went on to make more money than they could have dreamed of,

A huge part of them making that cash is picking the right fights to trick the public into thinking they are better boxer's and bigger star than they actually are.

I think we all see Whyte as a good gate keeper who mite pull off an upset set or two along the way ,

• Advertisement

To be fair to him, he has totally changed his public imagine and cleaned up his act in front of the camera's in a bid to make more cash and it has worked for him

Reminds me a lot of Bellew who was also polished up by Eddie and changed his whole public imagine ,

The two lads are rough as F*ck but listened to Eddie and matchroom and went on to make more money than they could have dreamed of,

A huge part of them making that cash is picking the right fights to trick the public into thinking they are better boxer's and bigger star than they actually are.

I think we all see Whyte as a good gate keeper who mite pull off an upset set or two along the way ,

Whyte is a bruiser who is making a lot of himself. Gatekeeper is the right term for him! Dave Allen got the ko vs a better Lucas Browne and look how long it took Whyte to finally make a job of him. Even Rivas is a pretty soft option for him. Small but good record. He’s not going in with Ortiz or pulev

squinn2912 wrote: »
    It’s an interesting match up. I’m going to that fight. I personally think Whyte will be too big and ignorant for him

You maybe right he might get past him , but he is going to be exposed soon enough. If Parker fought him again, i think he'd win. Fury and Wilder will beat handily. Anyway I hope you get to see a good bout!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Imo Whyte is average. He's avoided eliminator's to take the PPV average fights. Chisora is a very average and i think he won the first fight against Whyte. Parker is another average fighter who could have won that fight. Whyte is a second tier fighter who on his day could cause an upset against the big boys. But he can only blame himself for not getting a shot against wilder as he's ducked the eliminator's.

How do you guys see Price vs Allen going? Probably the match up I’m most looking forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

papi de la overhand will take price out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

How do you guys see Price vs Allen going? Probably the match up I’m most looking forward to!

I really can't see any other outcome other than an Allen KO. Price is just far too gun shy these days and I'd expect Allen to make it messy enough for the first few rounds. Allen is very tough and durable, has a decent chin and looks in great nick for once, add in Price's appalling stamina I think this is a stoppage in rounds 4-6 for Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭dougm1970

if he lasts as far as round 6, at that stage price beats himself

gorman and dubois is interesting,

you would have to fancy gorman but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Unless Allen get a sloppy and walks onto a big right hand I think he wears Price down around rounds 6 or 7.

I'm not confident in a Dubois victory but just about go for him. I think he'll be too big, strong and fit for Gorman but Gorman is the better boxer imo so I'm wavering on that prediction.

Cyrus wrote: »
    gorman and dubois is interesting,

you would have to fancy gorman but who knows.

Funny why do you say that? I’m rooting for Gorman but I think Dubois will have too much power for him

Funny why do you say that? I’m rooting for Gorman but I think Dubois will have too much power for him

i feel, perhaps wrongly, that dubois is more hype than substance, and gorman is a proper step up for him. Gorman is a better boxer, but it will be interesting to see how the fight goes.

Even if Dubios loses this one ( I think he will) people need to remember he is just 21 years old,
    He is still a baby , no where near his peak skill , wise, strength wise ,, cardio wise, ring savvy he has so much time to grow as a fighter ,

You have to give him and Gorman prop's for taking this fight so early , a lot of guys now want to go undefeated at an early age and don't take risk's

Joyce is 33
    Chisora is 35
    Whyte is 31
    Fury is almost 31
    AJ is 29
    Wilder is 33

Dubios has a decade on them all bar AJ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think Bryant will beat Joyce as he is mobile and quick. He just needs to avoid Joe's big swings.
    I can also see Gorman outpointing Dubois.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Joyce is the slowest heavyweight alive, will be backing Jennings myself

• Advertisement

Usually the better boxer wins, and Gorman has a good chin. Had Dubois really got good power at the top level? According to a former opponent he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yes, I am picking Jennings to beat Joyce too. Although he is coming off a stoppage loss I do think he is a cut above Joyce.

Yeah, but he was doing very well against Rivas before getting stopped in the last round. I think he could possibly stop Joyce late if he can stick and move and avoid getting hit too much.
    Don't think Joyce has massive one punch power but he can wear anyone down if he gets enough punches in a row in.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

My reason for siding with Joyce is a) his team are not going to put him a fight they don't think is heavily in his favour, b) his size, fitness and volume of punching will be too much for Jennings and c) Jennings doesn't have one punch power, not enough to keep Joyce off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Usually the better boxer wins, and Gorman has a good chin. Had Dubois really got good power at the top level? According to a former opponent he doesn't.

Well he didn't knock a stir out of Johnson over 10 rounds anyways.

I think Gorman wins but the bit on Dubios having no power is a bit silly,

He has stopped everyone but one opponent , that one opponent said his jab hurt more the Klitschko's and at the time of his fight Dubois was 20 Johnson was 38 and used all his year of wisdom to keep Dubios form landing any big shots ,

Dubois hasn't even matured as a man yet he will get plenty more power and his technic will also improve again adding to his KO power,

I'd confidently say power is the least of Dubios worries ,

Well he didn't knock a stir out of Johnson over 10 rounds anyways.

Johnson said he jabed harded than Klitschko and was glad he didn't land any big shots,

Remember Johnson was 38 and Dubios was 20 , Power wasn't the problem landing on a crafty veteran was,

I think Dubois will lose the weekend but let's give him a fair assessment

I get it that Gorman is the more refined boxer but what has he done to suggest he will win?

I get it that Gorman is the more refined boxer but what has he done to suggest he will win?

thats the quandry you cant point to anything either of them have done,

this fight will tell a lot,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Johnson said he jabed harded than Klitschko and was glad he didn't land any big shots,

Remember Johnson was 38 and Dubios was 20 , Power wasn't the problem landing on a crafty veteran was,

I think Dubois will lose the weekend but let's give him a fair assessment

Johnson saying that indirectly praises his own durability though so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Johnson is cute yes but he still gets hit and he got hit plenty of times in that fight.
    Dubois landed enough clean shots to do damage if he could. I think he believed his own hype and took the task at hand a bit lightly which is understandable given the run he was on.

Dubois can bang that's for sure but all I'm implying is that the Johnson fight brought a bit of reality back to the talk that was gathering steam that he was some freak of nature. It was a good learning experience and it came at a good time in his young career.

As for this weekend I think Dubois will approach it in a more measured manner and aim to get a stoppage in the latter rounds. I think he will too.

• Advertisement

Johnson saying that indirectly praises his own durability though so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Johnson is cute yes but he still gets hit and he got hit plenty of times in that fight.
    Dubois landed enough clean shots to do damage if he could. I think he believed his own hype and took the task at hand a bit lightly which is understandable given the run he was on.

Dubois can bang that's for sure but all I'm implying is that the Johnson fight brought a bit of reality back to the talk that was gathering steam that he was some freak of nature. It was a good learning experience and it came at a good time in his young career.

As for this weekend I think Dubois will approach it in a more measured manner and aim to get a stoppage in the latter rounds. I think he will too.

I can agree with everything you said, I just think Power is the least of Dubios problems,

I see Gorman taking a close fight due to being better in the final stretch and maybe a late stoppage ,

Advertisement