Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WALKER (2018) Saorview Combo WPS818C

• 04-08-2018 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I picked up a new Combo in Powercity yesterday

https://powercity.ie/product/WPS818C

Product Information:
    saorview approved hd combi box
    simple channel menu
    all your channels in one place
    irish tv saorview aerial input
    uk tv satellite dish input
    rte radio channels
    automatic channel search
    hdmi connect to tv
    analog a/v output
    connects to existing aerial system
    rte digital teletext
    7 day electronic programme guide
    record needs usb key or hdd

Features:
    BRAND : WALKER
    SAORVIEW APPROVED : SAORVIEW AND SATELLITE
    UK TV STATIONS VIA SATELLITE : YES

WALKER SAORVIEW APPROVED COMBI BOX
    Product Code: WPS818C
    Warranty: 2 Years Parts and Labour

€89.95

So far so good with the Box
    Easy Setup
    The box is DVB-T2
    All channels both terrestrial and Satellite on one single EPG
    Channels can be easily organised on a favourites list
    Some Internet features, Google and some apps available
    Digital Aertel working on both Terrestrial Channels and Satellite.

I'm using the box for Saorsat and Freeview HD, all working perfect at the moment.

On initial set up it gave the option to install a preset channel list for Astra 2 (didn’t try it as I’m using Saorsat).

Recording is working, select programmes from TV guide for recording/timers etc, (I connected a seperate hard drive/USB)
    Pause live TV also working

Nice Remote Control, big buttons, easy to use (the same control as the older Walker Combo)

Very good picture quality, up to 1080p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

7 day EPG on satellite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

7 day EPG on satellite?

Not tested on Astra 2 yet (UK Sat channels)

7 day epg on Saorsat working perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Not tested on Astra 2 yet (UK Sat channels)

7 day epg on Saorsat working perfect

It will, satellite is the big test and the reason why most opt for Linux boxes and roll their own

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Interesting. I notice it states that satellite and terrestrial channels are all on one EPG, so I guess it'll be more like their current TV range, where satellite channels start at 301, much handier than swapping between satellite and terrestrial like their previous combi box.

Shame it has no "Connect" but then, it does have some apps, whatever they are? Having Netflix on it would be a plus, something really lacking on the Powerpoint Connect box. I wonder if connected online, will it have the same issue that the TV's have, where being on BBC can cause TV to restart.

byte wrote: »
    Interesting. I notice it states that satellite and terrestrial channels are all on one EPG, so I guess it'll be more like their current TV range, where satellite channels start at 301, much handier than swapping between satellite and terrestrial like their previous combi box.

Shame it has no "Connect" but then, it does have some apps, whatever they are? Having Netflix on it would be a plus, something really lacking on the Powerpoint Connect box. I wonder if connected online, will it have the same issue that the TV's have, where being on BBC can cause TV to restart.

On initial setup satellite channels start at 201

However easy to make a Fav list and place Sat channels in any order starting at number 1 if it suits

EPG will either show Terestrial or Satellite, not both together (I dont find that an issue)

Sadly No Netflix
    Lots of apps Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Google, Internet browser, news, weather etc.

Seems to work ok on BBC Freeview when launching apps, not tested astra 2 yet.

Having the one channel list is very handy, also with DVBT2 its nice to pick up the Freeview HD channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

On initial set up it gave the option to install a preset channel list for Astra 2 (didn’t try it as I’m using Saorsat).

If it's the same list that's downloadable from their website or that came with my WP-4K4017 TV, it's a mess, e.g. it still includes BBC Three and multiple versions of Channel4, its +1s, BBCs, ITVs etc. Best to setup the way you want and save to USB.

byte wrote: »
    I wonder if connected online, will it have the same issue that the TV's have, where being on BBC can cause TV to restart.

Recently updated my TV to the latest software version via internet, to v2.45.0.0 from v2.40.6.0, and that issue has been resolved. No longer crashing the TV if you select one of the BBC channels with TV connected to the internet.

On initial setup satellite channels start at 201

Is this only the Saorsat channels or does it apply to all satellite channels including Astra etc.

The Cush wrote: »
    Is this only the Saorsat channels or does it apply to all satellite channels including Astra etc.

Connected Astra 2 - looks like only now and next on the epg

Satellite channels starting on 301

Did factory reset and connected Saorsat again coming in on 301 now.

Just redone favourite list, satellite channels set to number 1 on favourite now

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

It seems the new walker box then has the same menu as the TV's, its great to see such a box back on the market again.

• Advertisement

Navarre wrote: »
    It seems the new walker box then has the same menu as the TV's,

but missing Netflix, which would have been a nice addition.

Also at a more realistic price point than the Saorview Connect box.

but missing Netflix, which would have been a nice addition.

Also at a more realistic price point than the Saorview Connect box.

It's a pity really, one of the apps is called VEWD app store, lots of apps but no Netflix

Tried YouTube and it worked excellent

byte

Recently updated my TV to the latest software version via internet, to v2.45.0.0 from v2.40.6.0, and that issue has been resolved. No longer crashing the TV if you select one of the BBC channels with TV connected to the internet.
    Oh! This is good to know. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

It's a pity really, one of the apps is called VEWD app store, lots of apps but no Netflix

Tried YouTube and it worked excellent

VEWD is the rebranded opera TV platform

It's all web based. Does it not have Netflix ?

STB. wrote: »
    VEWD is the rebranded opera TV platform

It's all web based. Does it not have Netflix ?

Apps for everything, loads of apps, apps for stuff I never thought existed

Some great classic movie/tv apps, watching an old western now

But no Netflix

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Apps for everything, loads of apps, apps for stuff I never thought existed

Some great classic movie/tv apps, watching an old western now

But no Netflix

I dont use Netflix but if the receiver can connect to the internet can a user not just search for Netflix thru Google
    and once the Netflix home page opens then log into their account that way. https://www.netflix.com/ie/

Navarre wrote: »
    I dont use Netflix but if the receiver can connect to the internet can a user not just search for Netflix thru Google
    and once the Netflix home page opens then log into their account that way. https://www.netflix.com/ie/

No didn't work for me
    I've tried that with the Google search app, logged in, pressed play.
    But then told requirements are HTML5 and Silverlight.

I don't think the box downloads.

Little bit of playing around with the box today, now set up with:

Freeview
    Astra 2 (now and next epg)
    Astra 1
    Saorsat

Must be funny weather for terrestrial, bringing in freeview channels from South England

All working perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@ Friendo

The VEWD stuff. A Lot of the content is web based (HTML5-based platform). So you must have a VEWD account.

At a guess paired devices enables the html/silverlight dependencies.

STB

Not asked to sign in, I had to agree to terms and conditions before use

The apps on VEWD are working fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

@FRIENDO what are the dimensions for this box and does it have a scart input?
    Nothing on the Walker site or Power City

Hopefully more retailers will stock this, I only see it on Power City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

no scart input on it got one today from powercity uploaded channel list from the walker tv to usb and downloaded to box i didnt know it had smart till now for 89 euro its not bad has red button for bbc.s its the same as the tv without a screen

@FRIENDO what are the dimensions for this box and does it have a scart input?
    Nothing on the Walker site or Power City

Hopefully more retailers will stock this, I only see it on Power City

Hi Macker, the box is smaller than the previous Walker Combo

HEIGHT: 40mm
    WIDTH: 225mm
    DEPTH: 155mm

No Scart connection, however Powercity mention a work around for a scart connection

"**no scart connection
    av out can connect to scart connection
    to connect to a scart socket on a tv
    you will need
    1x code: 186848
    &
    1x code: dv0200"

https://powercity.ie/product/186846
    (PC mention code: 186848, think the above does the same job, check in the shop)

https://powercity.ie/product/DV0200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Wouldn't this do same thing...
    https://www.freetv.ie/3.5mm-to-scart/

byte

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Wouldn't this do same thing...
    https://www.freetv.ie/3.5mm-to-scart/
    Yeah, should do.

A problem:

BBC satellite channels can freeze and cause box to reboot.
    Have noticed it only happening when box location is set to Ireland.

Have tried other locations ie. UK and Germany and BBC seems to be working OK and not freezing the box.

With UK location you only get a couple of apps, Germany would be the same as Ireland or more.

The Walker pre programme list for satellite channels only works in the Ireland location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

A problem:

Have tried other locations ie. UK and Germany and BBC seems to be working OK and not freezing the box.

With UK location you only get a couple of apps, Germany would be the same as Ireland or more.

The Walker pre programme list for satellite channels only works in the Ireland location.
    using one now no problems with channels freezing uploaded channel list from walker tv by usb then downloaded to the walker box has all the channels the same as the tv in the other room

jacob2 wrote: »
    using one now no problems with channels freezing uploaded channel list from walker tv by usb then downloaded to the walker box has all the channels the same as the tv in the other room

Have you got the box on location Ireland?

I've done a number of factory resets and finding it freezes on BBC when set on location Ireland.
    Doesn't matter if I use the Walker supplied list or do manual scan.

However if I set it up on another country location BBC seems to work, in doing this I loose the Saorview logo on the epg,

Put it on UK, I'm getting Freeview logo instead.

Will keep an eye on it, thanks

A problem:

A known issue - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105597354#post105597354
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106485948#post106485948

Fixed my TV recently with a software update - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107707606#post107707606

• Advertisement
    byte

A problem:

This sounds like the problem that was in the televisions that I alluded to earlier in the thread. The TV's have since got an update to fix that issue, so maybe the boxes will get a similar update since menu is apparently the same.

It might be no harm to email Walker about the issue.

Advertisement