Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Risk of strong winds and heavy rain - Sunday the 23rd to Tuesday the 25th of October

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

ZZEE rainy day BIZNIZZ. Pity I don't smoke anymore in them situations I'd love a good smoke.

Are you related to Alice Talyor or that other writer who left Donegal last year to get away from the snow, only to find it followed her to West Cork ...

Great turn of phrase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

bb1234567 wrote: »
    thanks thats good i love grey and wet and cold and miserable, makes me so happy and cosy, while it depresses other people it makes me happy:D i only like mild/hot and sunny weather in june,july and august and start of september- mild weather, with sun and no clouds makes me super depressed when its not in the summer months especially winter and autumn!!:D i hate horrible mild weather and when its windy but no cloud or rain, im so weird cloud and rain depresses most people im pretty sure:p

IM the exact same pal.... we must be a SELECT breed! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

:D ahhh excellent i'm heading to malaga for 5 days on saturday. ok it's supposed to be pissing down on sunday, but that's pretty much it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

@ gbee :Oh I wish I was that glamourous :p.
    No, I'm afraid I'm Frrrrench so ze rainy day biiznizz iz just myheu naturahl accenteuh :pac:

And I'm in West Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Iancar29 wrote: »
    IM the exact same pal.... we must be a SELECT breed! ha

haha:p my brothers the same but the rest of the family are the opposite and think me and my brother are emo :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

bb1234567 wrote: »
    why would anyone want snow at this stage lets save it up for the big event in december or january. the earliest i'd want it is end of november, any earlier and it wont be cold enough for it to snow loads, stick to ground and build up, and if it does snow that early the sun will be too strong and melt it turning it into horrible disgusting slush which is no fun for anyone, snow and mildlovers alike. lets just hope for lots of rain wind and storms and hope for snow around mid to end of november, if we get any easterlies or northeasterlies in mid october and we get some snow but the sun is still strong enough to melt and well be wishing for it two months later when the same easterly would give feet of snow:Dlets not jinx this and just hope for the snow end ofnext month :D:D:D cant wait!!

The voice of reason . . .we should get you to respond to all the haters when it snows . . .:P

The voice of reason . . .we should get you to respond to all the haters when it snows . . .:P
    hah jee thanks:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'll just point out again that a snow covering for the requisite of time will kill bugs, flu and colds.

So how many have been complaining of colds and flu this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just looking at the latest from this weebsite they have a lot of rain for cork on Tuesday morning. Not much in the way of wind though!

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Again just reading the UK met office website they have warnings out for Monday and Tuesday for floods in Northern Ireland and down the west coast of the UK.

They says its still uncertain as to the timing and what areas will be affected but i am surprised Met Eireann have not given an early warning just to put people on notice even if still uncertain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep up to 90mm of rain between Sunday and Tuesday for the south

1110251222112.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Harps wrote: »
    Yep up to 90mm of rain between Sunday and Tuesday for the south

1110251222112.gif

Not looking good for cork low lying areas... is there many flood prone areas there anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Finally Waterford's flood defenses will be put to the test, will be interesting to see if there will be any knock on effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

fizzycyst wrote: »
    Finally Waterford's flood defenses will be put to the test, will be interesting to see if there will be any knock on effect.

true , an clonmel look to be jus finished there there flood defences also !!! was jus lookin at it the other day , an sayin wonder when its first test will be !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yes, I'll be watching too... I was living in Clonmel on the quay for the previous big floods a good few years ago, it will be interesting to see if the quays remain clear this year. Fingers crossed for the residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Not looking good for cork low lying areas... is there many flood prone areas there anyone?

The rivers that cause the most problems are the Lee, Blackwater and Bandon because they drain most of Co Cork, the Lee floods the city (moderated by the dam), the blackwater Mallow and Fermoy and the Bandon Bandon town, this much rain could be "interesting" in these spots.
    Most of the coastline is fairly "cliffy" though.
    If the Lee is draining a lot of water there could be problems in the city because of the new moon (Tues/Wed) spring tides, though they don't peak till Thursday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There has been 36.2 mm of rain at Valentia this morning from 6am to 9am! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

DOCARCH wrote: »

Christ almighty! :-o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Another 6.0mm from 9 to 10 and 1.2mm from 10 to 11. That's 43.4mm in 5 hours. Pretty impressive. Not sure if there was much rain before 6am?

Another 6.0mm from 9 to 10 and 1.2mm from 10 to 11. That's 43.4mm in 5 hours. Pretty impressive. Not sure if there was much rain before 6am?

will there be a lot of rain in dublin today all day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Met warning for heavy rain fall next 6 hours in western half of country :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just wondering where are you getting those figures from as my usual source Ogimet have just 17mm in the last 24 hrs :confused:

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03953&ano=2011&mes=10&day=22&hora=10&min=0&ndays=30

From Met E - was looking at totals hour by hour from 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Not exactly scientific research but its pelting down in Ennis!!! Flood defences will also be tested here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

From Ogimet's synops, 15 mm fell in the three hours between 4 and 7am. Won't know until after 1 pm exactly when within this time period the rain started. Synoptic rain totals are reported every 6 hours, so we'll have the up to date one at 1 pm.

53 mm fell at Valentia in 6 hours this morning. Rain started at 5am. They reported standing water on the ground at 7am.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03953&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2011&mes=10&day=22&hora=12

A landslide has blocked the road between Killarney and Dingle this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Su Campu wrote: »
    A landslide has blocked the road between Killarney and Dingle this morning.

Yeah that's a tricky road when there is lots of rain ...

http://ventryweather.com/

I think we escaped most of it ... rained alright but not the amounts that are reported

Most of the day is fine here now with occasional sunshine .... Wash is outside ........ (drying :-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Still no rain here in Dublin, fingers crossed it will stay that way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's like a stormy-ish day here in Dundalk, lotta breeziness and while there isn't a huge amount of rain it's big drops, seems like it's threatening to burst at any point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement