Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Active Cold Front - 17th October 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The Mace Head synop for 12 UTC shows an abrupt change in wind speed and direction occurred at 11:36 UTC, from SW (220°) 43 knots to NW (330°) 27 knots

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/decomet?ind=03963&ano=2011&mes=10&day=17&hora=12&single=yes&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Nearly a perfect line of red on the met.ie radar from Galway to Armagh. Dublin Airport still managing a 14c for now.

WEB_radar2_201110171315.png

Some serious stuff there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Su Campu wrote: »
    The Mace Head synop for 12 UTC shows an abrupt change in wind speed and direction occurred at 11:36 UTC, from SW (220°) 43 knots to NW (330°) 27 knots

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/decomet?ind=03963&ano=2011&mes=10&day=17&hora=12&single=yes&lang=en

i just witnessed the change in wind direction it was amazing. Came with serious rain for about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

dsmythy wrote: »

was watchin this radar and raintoday , looks to be movin really slowly ??

in south tipp and no rain yet !! thought it would hit a while ago ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hello All

Long time viewer and first time poster, been a big fan of everyone's work for a long time especially over the last two winters, the dedication of the amateurs here is amazing

Just happened to be off today so wanted to join the ride on this interesting weather day.

My location is Dublin 15 near the Dublin/Meath/Kildare border, current weather is Wind strong from the SW, strong gale gusts, probably 40 kts+ as the Airport is showing almost 50. Current temperature 15 degrees in broken sunlight - the differential across the country is remarkable

Looking forward to the conditions descending on us over the next few hours, although I can see the departure path from Dublin Airport and I would not fancy it today!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

a lovely morning

17/10/2011 14:00 3.7 °C 97 % 1003.1 hPa 6.2 m
    17/10/2011 13:00 5.5 °C 98 % 1002.9 hPa 3.4 mm
    17/10/2011 12:00 6.5 °C 98 % 1004.6 hPa 2.7 mm
    17/10/2011 11:00 6.7 °C 98 % 1006.4 hPa 2.7 mm
    17/10/2011 10:00 6.8 °C 97 % 1007.4 hPa 1.4 mm
    17/10/2011 09:00 7.5 °C 97 % 1008.0 hPa 1.4 mm
    17/10/2011 08:00 7.5 °C 95 % 1008.5 hPa 3.4 mm

:(

NIALL D wrote: »
    was watchin this radar and raintoday , looks to be movin really slowly ??

in south tipp and no rain yet !! thought it would hit a while ago ??

Seem to be an hour or so later than originally expected alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Blustery, my Kestrel 2500 caught a gust of 49.9 kmh at the airport. My WS at home has a recent gust of 46.6 kmh.

Airport gust of 38kts [70 kph].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

First few spits of rain here in Dublin cc..

There's an awful howl outside..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yep ... im LOVING that howl of the wind here in Dublin.. havent heard it so loud in a LONG time.

Time-lapse set up for the next 4 hours .... its not the best viewing point through the attic skylight but it'll hav to do ! Hopefully it'll get less messy out there and more defined things pass by! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Really nice view on raintoday of a ridge of heavy rain on the leading edge moving s.east. Looks like some weather is finally about to arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wow guys that rain on the radar looks seriously heavy - is it likely to be as heavy once it reaches Cork? Probably not I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

dsmythy wrote: »

Very serious stuff! I think there might even be some tornado activity along that front this afternoon. It reminds of those explosive North American cold fronts with a huge temperature difference either side of the front.
    At the moment Dublin 14c and Knock 4c. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Heavy rain all day here and no sign of it stopping. No real wind but a big temperature drop. Currently 4.8C.

It's actually lashing here now! I hadn't looked out the window:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Seeing pale blues on Met Eireann rainfall radar. Have'nt seen that since they upgraded. Very intense rain in some places as that squall approaches.

Havn't seen a rainbow in years it feels like. Awesome looking one looking north from Swords. Wind very strong and that's before the red line even arrives :D

Seeing pale blues on Met Eireann rainfall radar. Have'nt seen that since they upgraded. Very intense rain in some places as that squall approaches.

Yeah very visible dots all along the line on the 2pm image.

http://met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

Some serious rain in the 3hr forecast:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

that red line is pretty scary! how is it so STRAIGHT!? it's like someone went in with a red marker and a ruler!

4c-14c temperature range across Ireland right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

is cork or waterford going to see any of this? esp with the blue pales from the rardar

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just read on Netweather that snow (no doubt sleet) being reported in Co. Derry and Co. Tyrone. In Tyrone, report is from somebody at 600ft - report could be from OwenC in Derry! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just read on Netweather that snow (no doubt sleet) being reported in Co. Derry and Co. Tyrone. In Tyrone, report is from somebody at 600ft - report could be from OwenC in Derry! :pac:

Probably sent his mother up the bloody mountain again :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There were some extremely vicious gusts here in Galway City together with torrential burst of rain, all coninciding with that red band as it moved West to East. It's calmed down a fair bit now though.

The line seems to be a five minute job. An impressive five minutes no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

not suprised 3.7C at my house now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I have recorded wind speeds of 70 mph so far today in Galway, torrential rain, roads flooded and leaves coming off trees like large snow flakes.

• Advertisement

Was OwenC banned from here?

Advertisement