Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Active Cold Front - 17th October 2011

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

bb1234567 wrote: »
    i love how all the temps have plummeted around the country,most places around 5 degrees now? love it feels like winter like it should be, will it stay like this until it gte much colder in like mid november. i tihnk i heard about abother dreade ild spell:mad: coming after these few days of cold temps ,is it true? and once the mild is over will it be back to cold,and more importantly STAY COLD?:)

The "mild" weather should only last 1 day (Thursday). In saying mild, it's only going to be a degree or two warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

leahyl wrote: »
    Looks like some serious rain and wind ahead at the weekend guys if you are to go on what MT is saying (and we will:D!)

The Gospel according to St. Cranium.

Praise be to God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

leahyl wrote: »
    Looks like some serious rain and wind ahead at the weekend guys if you are to go on what MT is saying (and we will:D!)

The Gospel according to St. Cranium.

Praise be to God.

Are we expecting the big freeze back soon along with the snow like some have said? ??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

jo06555 wrote: »
    Are we expecting the big freeze back soon along with the snow like some have said? ??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056419308

^^ Corinthians 4 - A letter from St. Cranium to the Boardies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

No big freeze yet just pessimism and floods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Just an update on the squall that passed through Ireland last week:
    I was speaking with my father who is fairly high up in the OPW in Government Buildings in Dublin and he was telling me about the squall. As was mentioned previously, some sections of lead roof were blown off the roof of the museum next door. Well apparently each one of these lead sheets weigh about 14 stone and they require 4 men to lift them. Either 6 or 16 (can't remember the number) of them were blown from the roof to the Leinster House car park, causing some damage to cars there. Luckily it was a Monday and very few TDs and politicians were sitting that day. Had it been another day, it would most likely have been a much different story.

Now here's the interesting bit....My father used the word "whirlwind" a few times when he was telling me about the story. Other staff had described the event there as a "mini tornado" and "twister". He said that as the damaging wind was passing over, a very definite "swirl" could be seen which is why he described it as a "whirlwind", rather than just straight line winds - This "whirlwind" also took half the roof off the Royal Irish Academy on nearby Dawson Street. Also, the lead sheets that came off the museum had been in place since when they were originally fitted, some time in the 1800's at a guess. I'm guessing some very major wind would have been needed to lift these lead sheets from the roof. This all sounds like there may have been some sort of tornadic event right in Dublin city centre but I haven't heard anything further about and the information I have is only hearsay but based on this hearsay, it sounds like in this particular location, it was something more than a severe squall!
    interesting, eh???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

highdef wrote: »
    it was something more than a severe squall!
    interesting, eh???

If one were to go back and read the forecast, it did forecast "tornadic winds" ~ indeed it is in such a squall that these develop as we saw in the USA earlier when a massive squall line produced the most damaging tornadoes in recent times and killed many hundreds.

Thanks for the report, in case he misses it you might PM MT Cranium.

Advertisement