Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Data Protection Act and Parish records

• 12-08-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Im relatively new to this so please excuse any obvious over-sights. I rang my parish priest a few days ago to ask him if I could take a look at the parish records as one branch of my family was in the parish from the 19th century. He told me that he couldn't let anyone look at the parish records because of the data protection act,but if I gave him a list of names and dates he could get back to me with whatever information he could find.

This obviously means that I cannot browse the records. Does this not make it impossible to find new relations using parish records as I have to supply the priest with information that I already have?
    Is it not the case that I can only use parish records to confirm information that I already have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

What parish is this ?

Historic records for most of the RC parishes are available in the National Library. The films generally cover up to about 1880.

I've heard of some original registers that have restricted access - but due to the delicate condition of the volumes, rather than any data protection considerations.

If your dates of interest are after the start of civil records, then these are usually a better line to follow, as they generally show more details.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just a question - would it be true to say that the situation could be different depending on the PP? One might be ok with access to records and another might not?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've actually never heard a priest claim data protection before - it's possible that they just aren't set up for letting people search manually. Again, what parish is this? I know for sure that plenty of parishes will allow people to search their books.

Some parishes (most Dublin, Kerry & Carlow) are online at www.irishgenealogy.ie and it's free. They have more coming online (fingers crossed) next month. Roots Ireland also have parish records but it's not free. Online searching is the easiest way to find "new" siblings.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

pinkypinky wrote: »
    ... Roots Ireland also have parish records but it's not free...

You can, however, winkle out a good bit of information free if you have some idea of what you are looking for, and are good with search engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Its a parish in county louth. Ballymacscanlon. Thanks for the replies. Its very annoying as I presumed he'd say no problem and it looks like i'll have to go to Dublin instead.

• Advertisement

You can check out the parishes, records available,film references etc on the Irish Times website - see : http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/louthrc.htm

Shane

The townland of Ballymascanlon was right on the border of two historic parishes - Dundalk and Lordship... but based in the civil parish (also Ballymascanlon) I'd say it's was in Lordship parish.

Baptism and marriage records are available from 1838 to 1880 on NLI Films Pos. 5595 (up to 1864) and Pos. 5596 (1864 to 1880).

Dundalk parish records (baptisms, marriages & deaths) go back to 1790 and are also on film Pos. 5595 - but for some reason marriages are only covered up to 1831..

Shane

just spotted that the National Library RC Films Index lists the parish as 'Lordship & Ballymacscanlon (Ravensdale)'

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rafferr

Information contained in parish records is a matter of public record and should not be subject to the data protection act. Similar historical information obtained from the General Registration Office following the cival registration acts of 1845 and 1864 is not subject to the data protection act.

Do you have a source for that info, Rafferr? I can see how CoI records would come under that rule because they were the State church but RC records wouldn't be the same. I also know that there was a long running dispute which caused the NLI to remove access to their copy registers of the diocese of Cashel & Emly but last year the NLI decided they couldn't revoke permission given in the past to view them and made them available again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 rafferr

Hi Pinky, You are correct. I was sure that the Mormon LDS records included parish record transcripts but they are mostly from the Civil Registry and unfortunately church records are not covered by the Freedom of Information act (In my opinion ALL church records should be covered by this act!).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Hi, Some time ago I wanted to look up the church baptismal records for my fathers family in St Josephs in Terenure and Rathmines RC Church. I was told that I required permission from Archbishop House. I applied and gave all the reverent info I had. I got a reply that they had instructed both parishes to furnish me with certificates as required. This took some time but it was worth the wait. I got everything I wanted.

A lot of churches have gotten pissed off with people contacting them and won't do look ups anymore. I've heard this sort of anecdote from a number of people. If it's a record that you could look at on microfilm in the NLI, they often just refer you there. You can get lucky though - there's a very helpful archivist in St Nicholas de Myra church on Francis St who did a look-up for me. It was a date in the 1910s that would not be in the NLI. Also got lucky with Star of the Sea church in Sandymount, who for some reason are not at all in the NLI but in that case I already had the civil marriage cert so could supply exact details (but got both mother's full names and addresses for all parties).

For CoI, the Representative Church Body Library in Braemor Park are your only man. They have nearly all the surviving parish registers and you can view the original books. They're super helpful.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Got an email back from the PP today and it looks like he done a really thorough search so im very pleased. BUT was in the county library, where they have copies of the Church records on computer, and I was told that its 31euro to get a family search done. I pointed out to the librarian that I could go to the National Library and see them on microfilm for free and he told me that there is a charge there too. Is this true?

This was a bit of a shock as I was in the county library one Saturday and I met another man doing geneological research and he was getting the Church records information free from a different librarian. So Im thinking of trying to wait until I see that librarian and ask again then.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Hi Patsman07, I've been to the National Library several times and done research there and the only charge they made was for the photocopy of the details I had found. You need a €1 photocopying card obtainable there and one photocopy costs €0.10 cents. My only other expense was lunch and it was good value. ( have the Bus Pass).
    Check out the National Library of Ireland website for more information.
    What county library were you at?
    Joe

It's 100% free to do this in the NLI and I've never heard of any other library charging for this service. Limerick City library charged me a fiver for searching, printing and posting 1901 census returns about 8 years ago which I thought was totally fair, considering the cost of driving to Limerick to do it myself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Louth County Library Dundalk. I was a bit dubious about it having seen the other librarian hand out the same information for free and everything else about the library is excellent value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

patsman07 wrote: »
    Im relatively new to this so please excuse any obvious over-sights. I rang my parish priest a few days ago to ask him if I could take a look at the parish records as one branch of my family was in the parish from the 19th century. He told me that he couldn't let anyone look at the parish records because of the data protection act,but if I gave him a list of names and dates he could get back to me with whatever information he could find.

This obviously means that I cannot browse the records. Does this not make it impossible to find new relations using parish records as I have to supply the priest with information that I already have?
    Is it not the case that I can only use parish records to confirm information that I already have?

Hi this has happened to me a few times where we sent them an email and they declined or they said they would get back to us and they never ever got back to us. Tell him that you are a professor of some sort and he will go and search for you in a shot we have done this three times and it has worked every time! Ministers and priests seem to view professors differently to the working class. I know it sounds stupid but just try it it might work.

Advertisement