Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind and Rain Warnings : Sat 13 / Mon 15 April 2019

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

How long have you been working?! or lived in Ireland?

My entire life. I was merely highlighting the huge quantity of rain that is falling in a 2 minute period.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Be interesting to see where today ends up in Cork Airport's wettest April days on record.

Yesterday (14th April) recorded 29.8mm at the station making it fit within the top 10 wettest April days for the station:

1. 17 Apr 1978 - 44.9mm
    2. 10 Apr 2016 - 44.1mm
    3. 13 Apr 2003 - 43.0mm
    4. 4 Apr 1966 - 36.6mm
    5. 9 Apr 1966 - 31.5mm
    6. 16 Apr 2018 - 31.0mm
    7. 23 Apr 1992 - 29.9mm
    8. 14 Apr 2019 - 29.8mm
    9. 20 Apr 1963 - 29.2mm
    10. 3 Apr 1987 - 27.7mm

Data from Met Éireann.

Recent Aprils to include very wet days like this period include 2016 and 2018. I remember the 2016 one well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Be interesting to see where today ends up in Cork Airport's wettest April days on record.

Yesterday (14th April) recorded 29.8mm at the station making it fit within the top 10 wettest April days for the station:

1. 17 Apr 1978 - 44.9mm
    2. 10 Apr 2016 - 44.1mm
    3. 13 Apr 2003 - 43.0mm
    4. 4 Apr 1966 - 36.6mm
    5. 9 Apr 1966 - 31.5mm
    6. 16 Apr 2018 - 31.0mm
    7. 23 Apr 1992 - 29.9mm
    8. 14 Apr 2019 - 29.8mm
    9. 20 Apr 1963 - 29.2mm
    10. 3 Apr 1987 - 27.7mm

Data from Met Éireann.

Recent Aprils to include very wet days like this period include 2016 and 2018. I remember the 2016 one well.

I'd say it might, its still bucketing rain down since about 2am this morning when the drizzle switched to heavy rain

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭aisling86

Just saw this....there is absolutely no let up!!

"on the road out be careful just outside macroom the rain has lifted the tar there's at least ten foot of it after been ripped up"

Cork Safety Alerts & West Cork Road Safety have lots of info about roads flooded in the county. Only a matter of time before the city floods id imagine especially with high tide at 2.54pm.

aisling86 wrote: »
    Just saw this....there is absolutely no let up!!

"on the road out be careful just outside macroom the rain has lifted the tar there's at least ten foot of it after been ripped up"

Cork Safety Alerts & West Cork Road Safety have lots of info about roads flooded in the county. Only a matter of time before the city floods id imagine especially with high tide at 2.54pm.

Nearly 48 hours now, it's relentless alright! That's crazy about the tar. Loads of roads flooded and I think the Bandon to kilbrittain is closed

• Advertisement

2 cars stuck in floods from Crookstown to Beal Na Blath too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All sounds dreadful. Deluging sideways again out here and even I am seriously weary of this... No idea what roads are likeover the water and thankful it all runs off into the ocean even though I cannot understand why the ocean never overflows .

I lived very near there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks like the clearance coming into the SW now. Going to be a soggy night for the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Another 37mm on top of the 26mm yesterday.

Plus 21mm more since.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1117794891831087104

Unreal amount of rain falling the last few hours, and more to come.

Unreal amount of rain falling the last few hours, and more to come.

A new wettest April day record so!

EDIT: Or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nearly bone dry here in Kildare now but we have the most incredible skies

F7-B25-A12-C00-C-4129-958-C-418-E40-A86-E64.jpg

6150-B18-A-D87-A-4461-9-C15-51472-D19-B391.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭highdef

Fantastic photos. Would those formations be caused from disturbance of the airflow over the wicklow mountains?

Less than 20km to your north and those clouds have redeveloped back into grey overcast skies with light to moderate rain.......outside of your little rain shadow bubble :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Was really expecting it to be much much worse that its been so far.

We live by a river and its not that uncommon to have to put the wellies on to walk around the house when we get more than 50mm in a day but so far the river is still well between its banks despite Met Éireann forecasting more rain in a day than we have ever experienced in 15 years.

I'm not saying its the same for everyone but we seem to have dodged a bullet here on the coast in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

my3cents wrote: »
    Was really expecting it to be much much worse that its been so far.

We live by a river and its not that uncommon to have to put the wellies on to walk around the house when we get more than 50mm in a day but so far the river is still well between its banks despite Met Éireann forecasting more rain in a day than we have ever experienced in 15 years.

I'm not saying its the same for everyone but we seem to have dodged a bullet here on the coast in Waterford.
    It has been relatively dry in the last month so that will have helped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I travelled along that road on my way home at around 3.45pm and while the river was overflowing its banks and there was a lot of surface water, the road was passable with due care. I guess the floodwater had receded in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

According to my Acc-Rite weather station rainfall since midnight has been 90mm and counting, and was 38mm yesterday here near Conna, Cork :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Finished off with 9mm more a total of 93mm since Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

DIF wrote: »
    According to my Acc-Rite weather station rainfall since midnight has been 90mm and counting, and was 38mm yesterday here near Conna, Cork :eek:

Wow! Is that a tipping bucket?

46mm at Waterford City Weather now.

Finally clearing southwest now!

• Advertisement

The rainfall appears to be finally clearing from my area of west Cork. It has been a thoroughly miserable past 48 hours that would not have been out of place in mid winter.

light drizzle now in Cork City. Finally starting to ease up

The rainfall appears to be finally clearing from my area of west Cork. It has been a thoroughly miserable past 48 hours that would not have been out of place in mid winter.

Wouldn't even get this much rain in winter most of the time! over 83mm during 2 days is a lot! And its still drizzling! Oh well, couple dry days coming up and a nice weekend to make up for it hopefully :)

Wouldn't even get this much rain in winter most of the time! over 83mm during 2 days is a lot! And its still drizzling! Oh well, couple dry days coming up and a nice weekend to make up for it hopefully :)

Not just the rain but also the cold easterly wind that we have had for the last few days. The forecast good weather up to and over the Easter weekend will be much needed to dry out the ground after the deluge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got off light here near Tralee with just 8mm since midnight .

Will be interesting to see the totals .

Still getting fairly heavy rain over the SE it seems.

Cork Airport got 63mm from 18.00 Sun to 18.00 Mon.

Roches Point 56 mm for same time span.

CMTzatm.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Got off light here near Tralee with just 8mm since midnight .

Will be interesting to see the totals .

Still getting fairly heavy rain over the SE it seems.

Yeah and as I pointed out yesterday... the areas left out from ME's rainfall warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gone quite wet now near Arklow but total only 10.6mm compared to over 80mm in Waterford and just 5.8mm at Ashford co Wicklow
    I'm expecting near 20mm by morning at my station if this pivots and stalls

https://www.facebook.com/121477244677956/posts/1236750009817335/

Would imagine this will stay flooded for a few days with the run off.

By 10 pm all was quietening out here at last.

Just been out to check damage and pick stuff up. never saw such chaos and all my hard won flowers are wind withered and dead. No flowers for Easter now. Just prayers...

TS Eliot's words come to mind..

“April is the cruelest month, breeding
    lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
    memory and desire, stirring
    dull roots with spring rain.”

Over and out, hoping all are well and safe there

• Advertisement

Rainfall totals for each day and the period (13-15 Apr 2019) at Irish stations.

Definitely the wettest April period since at least 10/11 April 2016.

U3U5WfA.png

Data from Met Éireann.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1118103230255456256

Advertisement