Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Plastic campaign

• 13-04-2019 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

<Snip>

Bad language deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Weren't we one of the first countries to ban free plastic carrier bags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

my3cents wrote: »
    Weren't we one of the first countries to ban free plastic carrier bags?

So that the government could make some money out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Nikki Sixx wrote: »

Look up at any tree and you will see there aren't any plastic bags flapping in the wind....

This use to be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why can't the Gov get any credit in this country?

We have been very progressive in some things, such as the plastic bag tax, the smoking ban and gay marriage.

They didn't put €0.05 on a plastic bag to make money. They did it to stop people getting a new one willy nilly every time they went shopping. It was way ahead of its time, there wasn't a debate about plastic the way there is now.

You had the choice to pay the tax or not, I'm sure it didn't raise much money from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

It had a dramatic effect on the amount of plastic bags hanging in bushes. The price of plastic bags needs to increase again and make them prohibitive.

Added to that plastic use has been increasing dramatically so a movement against it's use can only be welcomed ... Unless you are some sort of a bitter old crank

• Advertisement

Some people have consideration for the environment OP, and most don't look for applause. Your frustration is misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 passecompose

This isn't a bandwagon we're 'hopping on'
    It's the realization that we're destroying our planet in many ways including the use of single use plastics. Believe it or not, people do care.
    Nobody is looking for a pat on the back for reducing the use of single use plastics.
    Social media is a great platform for talking about it so that's one reason it's become more apparent.
    What does get me though is companies coming up with ideas of replacing straws with paper ones. While this is a great step in the right direction, much more needs to be done from a government level. Relying on individuals alone to do the right thing doesn't work unless there are incentives to reduce our carbon footprint

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Plastic packaging and single use plastic has taken off in a way that's totally unsustainable over the last 15 to 20 years, people are coming to realise this now. People are also realising that the "recycling" industry isn't exactly what people imagine either

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbh I wouldnt mind if the plastic bag levy increased to €5 per bag. I havent bought a bag in years as I just reuse the ones I did buy for years. Most people I know have their own bags when they go shopping. Does anyone still buy bags? Even heading to buy bread and milk I pick up a bag as I leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think the plastic bag levy was a piece of legislation we should be very proud of as a country.

More needs to happen in terms of our use of single use plastics. It is a sad thing that anytime anything is done which is for the long term betterment of society, it is viewed with cynicism by many and such voices are often loudest.

Fruit sitting in plastic cases, plastic drinks bottles, straws (where there is some action) and take-away coffee cups should also see similar levies in my view. In an ideal world, the money raised from such a levy would go towards environmentally focused initiatives.

There are many things which we could all do in order to try to limit our impact on the environment in terms of what we buy and use but it seems that the sad reality is that it needs legislation before actual meaningful change is seen (see plastic bag levy and smoking ban as examples in this respect).

The "No Plastic" view isn't a bandwagon, it's a reality that people are awakening to but sadly, not fast enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If people really feel they want change they can collect all the soft plastic that has the number 4 inside the recycling symbol as council bring centres will take this.

Green bins won't and will only take hard plastic.

I heard Lidl or Aldi are starting it that you can bring your plastic back to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've mentioned this before and that is that some of the retailers that make the biggest deal about recycling are the worst at supplying goods in plastic that is not recyclable. LIDL claim to recycle 100% of the waste in their stores yet I suspect 99% of all the plastic that goes out of their shops with their customers is not recyclable.

Its obviously cheaper for LIDL to have its stock packed in plastic that can't be recycled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Did anybody give a fcuk about the overuse of plastic before it became such a trend to be anti-plastic? It’s really only in the last few years that Irish people have hopped on the bandwagon. To me it all feels like attention seeking and virtue signaling. Is there any person who quietly or secretly recycles, who doesn’t want a pat on the back. I’m getting tired of all the fake outrage about plastic. If you are a genuine eco warrior don’t take a plane or drive a car.

Yes, people have been trying to reduce single use plastics for decades. Long before you saw it on facebook. Take your nose out of the phone, and have a look around, check out the sea, trees, roadside verges etc...

I see on other posts you're sneering and making snide comments at posters that don't like single use plastics. Activists and people trying to reduce plastic usage are doing you no harm whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

my3cents wrote: »
    I've mentioned this before and that is that some of the retailers that make the biggest deal about recycling are the worst at supplying goods in plastic that is not recyclable. LIDL claim to recycle 100% of the waste in their stores yet I suspect 99% of all the plastic that goes out of their shops with their customers is not recyclable.

Its obviously cheaper for LIDL to have its stock packed in plastic that can't be recycled.

There is so much hypocrisy at play in today's world it can be very depressing.

Sky cycling team spent last year advocating for reduced plastic use.

02-NO-FEE-SKY-OCEAN-RESCUE-793x529.jpg

Next year, they will have a new sponsor, Ineos, one of the worlds largest petrochemical companies. A massive market segment of the petrochemical industry is the manufacture of plastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Next year, they will have a new sponsor, Ineos, one of the worlds largest petrochemical companies. A massive market segment of the petrochemical industry is the manufacture of plastics.

Unfortunately large corporations can be incredibly ignorant in their operations, we must completely change our economic models, before we completely wreck our plant. We should be very proud of our approaches to single use plastics, am I right in saying they will be banned at eu level soon?

I think the plastic bag levy was a piece of legislation we should be very proud of as a country.

More needs to happen in terms of our use of single use plastics. It is a sad thing that anytime anything is done which is for the long term betterment of society, it is viewed with cynicism by many and such voices are often loudest.

Fruit sitting in plastic cases, plastic drinks bottles, straws (where there is some action) and take-away coffee cups should also see similar levies in my view. In an ideal world, the money raised from such a levy would go towards environmentally focused initiatives.

There are many things which we could all do in order to try to limit our impact on the environment in terms of what we buy and use but it seems that the sad reality is that it needs legislation before actual meaningful change is seen (see plastic bag levy and smoking ban as examples in this respect).

The "No Plastic" view isn't a bandwagon, it's a reality that people are awakening to but sadly, not fast enough.

The toy industry really needs to be tackled. Any birthday or Christmas produces a horrific amount of plastic. Seems completely over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

<deleted post>

But it does end up in the sea. Then it ends up in fish, then it ends up in humans and the animals we eat.

No, you either don't understand or you're being obtuse here. Reduction in the use of one off plastics will reduce the amount of plastic being dumped.

Look. you're the one that started this thread with questions and you're getting answers. People are making an effort to explain things in simple terms so you can understand. Did you just start the thread to troll people or are you genuinely interested?

I'm part of a nationwide beach clean up group. PM me if you want to join up with one of the clean ups and I can school you in person. You'll see for your self what's being washed up and how old some of the plastics are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

John_Rambo wrote: »
    But it does end up in the sea. Then it ends up in fish, then it ends up in humans and the animals we eat.

No, you either don't understand or you're being obtuse here. Reduction in the use of one off plastics will reduce the amount of plastic being dumped.

Look. you're the one that started this thread with questions and you're getting answers. People are making an effort to explain things in simple terms so you can understand. Did you just start the thread to troll people or are you genuinely interested?

I'm part of a nationwide beach clean up group. PM me if you want to join up with one of the clean ups and I can school you in person. You'll see for your self what's being washed up and how old some of the plastics are.

Good luck with that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

zapitastas wrote: »
    The toy industry really needs to be tackled. Any birthday or Christmas produces a horrific amount of plastic. Seems completely over the top.

And clothing.

A lot of our clothing is made from plastic and microfibres leave the washing machine and end up in fish.

It's all such a monumental problem.

Teepinaw wrote: »
    And clothing.

A lot of our clothing is made from plastic and microfibres leave the washing machine and end up in fish.

It's all such a monumental problem.

I think it was something like 750,000 microplastic fibres are released with your average wash cycle. What a mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Meanwhile in some good news announced by Guinness/Diageo.

_106444646_mediaitem106444645.jpg

Drinks giant Diageo has announced that it is removing plastic from multipacks of its Irish stout brand Guinness.

Plastic ring carriers and shrink wrap will be also removed from packs of Harp, Rockshore and Smithwick's beers, as part of Diageo's £16m initiative.

The change will be phased in with multi-can packs sold in "100% recyclable and biodegradable cardboard" in Ireland from August this year.

The new packaging will then be used in the UK and globally next year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47926399

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Meanwhile in some good news announced by Guinness/Diageo.

_106444646_mediaitem106444645.jpg

Drinks giant Diageo has announced that it is removing plastic from multipacks of its Irish stout brand Guinness.

Plastic ring carriers and shrink wrap will be also removed from packs of Harp, Rockshore and Smithwick's beers, as part of Diageo's £16m initiative.

The change will be phased in with multi-can packs sold in "100% recyclable and biodegradable cardboard" in Ireland from August this year.

The new packaging will then be used in the UK and globally next year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47926399

A friend *ahem* worked there a few years back when they were all delighted to announce the shrink wrap packaging.
    Asked "what about environmental impact?", response was "it's cheaper and we don't expect a public fight back"

Companies care about how much it will save, or how much free publicity/leverage an action generates.
    This is why it needs to be government driven. Should public focus shift I could guarantee that companies will swap back to waste, should it be cheaper.

That *cough* friend *cough* saw them tamper with recipes, to save money. If product integrity is up for grabs, what do you think they really care about environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I recently read that, more or less, every single piece of plastic ever made still exists. Plastic objects may perish and break, rendering them useless, (then replaced by more plastic) but they will remain in landfill or somewhere. Very few are burned they all still exists. I’m trying to reduce my plastic use but it’s hard. I firmly believe we must sll start. The oceans are full of plastic waste. It’s very unsettling when you look at the irreversible damage we have done and are continuing to do. I think it’s very scary.

Why should Diageo get praise for that?

Surely there is still unnecessary cardboard around 4 cans?
    Why not just offer 4 cans for a certain price, and the customer can put 4 separate cans in their basket?

Its not like carrying 4 cans is rocket science.

We need to cut out all unnecessary packaging surely?

Lisha wrote: »
    I recently read that, more or less, every single piece of plastic ever made still exists. Plastic objects may perish and break, rendering them useless, (then replaced by more plastic) but they will remain in landfill or somewhere. Very few are burned they all still exists. I’m trying to reduce my plastic use but it’s hard. I firmly believe we must sll start. The oceans are full of plastic waste. It’s very unsettling when you look at the irreversible damage we have done and are continuing to do. I think it’s very scary.

True apparently.

And heard another stat recently that of all the plastic that has been made in the world ever, half of it has been made since mid-1980s.

Shows you how much disposable crap we made in the last few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

NIMAN wrote: »

Why not just offer 4 cans for a certain price, and the customer can put 4 separate cans in their basket?

It's still progress though, and hopefully the next environmental campaign will target the not hugely useful cardboard on a lot of products.

Because different SKUs would have different prices attached to them. A tray of 24 would be internally priced at X per can while a 4-6 pack would be valued at Y per can etc.

They would have to sell each shop the cans, at the same price, so not allowing for pack orders at differing prices (and the facing opportunities that brings)
    It can be done sure but would be massive administrative and logistical issue

True apparently.

And heard another stat recently that of all the plastic that has been made in the world ever, half of it has been made since mid-1980s.

Shows you how much disposable crap we made in the last few decades.

Transformer toys were die-cast metal in the 1980s, now they are the most easily broken plastic crap ever. Made to be broken/replaced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Nikki Sixx wrote:
    <deleted post>

You're correct, people don't throw plastic in the sea.
    It blows in from the land.

Advertisement