Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor advice

• 28-03-2016 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I'm looking for a half decent chip extractor to work between a drill press and bandsaw. I use both these machines daily so need something that will cope but at same time not huge as space is tight.
    Any ideas? my head is melting with choice! ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

aerosol wrote: »
    I'm looking for a half decent chip extractor to work between a drill press and bandsaw. I use both these machines daily so need something that will cope but at same time not huge as space is tight.
    Any ideas? my head is melting with choice! ta

All of the usual extractors will work but I would urge you to get one with a cartridge top. The typical extractor with the bag on top will blow dust into the air - especially from a bandsaw.
    The Scheppach extractor is excellent if a little pricey. I bought one from Axminster which has a handle to knock the dust out of the paper pleats in the cartridge and its a very handy feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

recipio wrote: »
    All of the usual extractors will work but I would urge you to get one with a cartridge top. The typical extractor with the bag on top will blow dust into the air - especially from a bandsaw.
    The Scheppach extractor is excellent if a little pricey. I bought one from Axminster which has a handle to knock the dust out of the paper pleats in the cartridge and its a very handy feature.
    I'm being drawn back to this one http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-ct-90h-extractor-508334

is what you mean by the cartridge? Ta

aerosol wrote: »
    I'm being drawn back to this one http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-ct-90h-extractor-508334

is what you mean by the cartridge? Ta

Not quite that model but Axminster keep changing their stuff all the time. That looks fine although it doesn't have a 'sweep up' dust pan that some have. The see through bags are ideal and last a long time but I'd order a few as well.
    The Carpentry store in Naas sell Axminster products so its worth having a look at what they have in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I have a record power dx4000. its a great little extractor. its based on a half barrel with the motors on top.
    the capacity is a bit small for planers and the like but perfect for band saws and tools that don't create a huge volume of chips

I have a record power dx4000. its a great little extractor. its based on a half barrel with the motors on top.
    the capacity is a bit small for planers and the like but perfect for band saws and tools that don't create a huge volume of chips

It will have a brush motor which works by keeping the revs high. The brushes will eventually need replacing whereas an induction motor goes on forever.

• Advertisement

i don't understand that as an argument either way. I have loads of tools and have never replaced the brushes in any of them. my father has an old Makita drill that had the brushes changed but it is over 20 years old and the were changed 2 years ago

induction are better motors for lots of reasons but brushes are not one of them I would think about. noise reduction is a much better reason to go induction

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

I'm looking for something to work with a tablesaw and sanding on the lathe. Would this be capable?

yes it would be ideal.
    I use mine on my disk sander all the time and on the band saw
    the lathe is a hard thing to extract from but it will pull the dust away

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

yes it would be ideal.
    I use mine on my disk sander all the time and on the band saw
    the lathe is a hard thing to extract from but it will pull the dust away

Thanks
    Ya for the lathe is it a case of just having the hose sitting behind the workpiece while your sanding or what's the best way of doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Something like this would work:
    CAMVAC

https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/-90l-2000w-large-extractor-4-inlet#.XrEhsi0ZPAw
    The attraction is that it is squat rather than tall and lanky
    Any thoughts?
    The Record equiv, DX 4000,
    is here:

https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/fine-filter-twin-motor-80-litre-extractor--hplv#.XrEiTC0ZPAw

Any thoughts?
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I bought a small P/T last year and they produce a huge amount of chippings so had to get a chip extractor.

Was going to get the record DX4000 but almost every review mentions the low capacity. It's worth remembering that there are two big motors taking up most of the drum capacity. In the end I went with the record DX5000 which is the same motor but with a bag instead of the drum for more capacity.

It's designed to be fixed to a wall but I built a frame for it so that it's mobile. The downside with this is it takes up a bit of space but I've a big enough area to accommodate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I use a CGV286 through a cyclone separator - works great.

OAOB wrote: »
    I bought a small P/T last year and they produce a huge amount of chippings so had to get a chip extractor.

Was going to get the record DX4000 but almost every review mentions the low capacity. It's worth remembering that there are two big motors taking up most of the drum capacity. In the end I went with the record DX5000 which is the same motor but with a bag instead of the drum for more capacity.

It's designed to be fixed to a wall but I built a frame for it so that it's mobile. The downside with this is it takes up a bit of space but I've a big enough area to accommodate it.

Thanks for this.
    Nice looking rig
    Would you mind measuring how far it is from the bottom of the U bar to the ground that the bag sits on?
    I have a height problem so just wondering.

Are you running off 16 Amp, or higher, for all this stuff
    2 kw motors on this and maybe 1.5- 2 kW P/T, with maybe 6 times surge at startup?
    Chilly
    I don't have the space for the cyclone

Chilly

Fair point - I've got mine under a table so they can sprawl out a bit but still take up way too much space. Some folks build a frame to stack them vertically ending up with something around the same height and footprint as the other options being discussed. If I wasn't so lazy I'd do away with the Record Power completely and cut over to a filtered turbine, it would get rid of the second drum and I could sell the Record Power to get a few quid back! - I really should do that.

511865.jpg

Thanks for this.
    Nice looking rig
    Would you mind measuring how far it is from the bottom of the U bar to the ground that the bag sits on?
    I have a height problem so just wondering.

Are you running off 16 Amp, or higher, for all this stuff
    2 kw motors on this and maybe 1.5- 2 kW P/T, with maybe 6 times surge at startup?
    Chilly

The bag is nearly full at the moment so i can't see the U-bar but from the bottom of the cage to the bottom of the bag is 40cm. Overall height from the bottom of the bag to the top of the machine is 120cm.

I'm just running off 13 Amp and haven't had any problems so far but i'll be honest and say that never even crossed my mind

OAOB wrote: »
    The bag is nearly full at the moment so i can't see the U-bar but from the bottom of the cage to the bottom of the bag is 40cm. Overall height from the bottom of the bag to the top of the machine is 120cm.

I'm just running off 13 Amp and haven't had any problems so far but i'll be honest and say that never even crossed my mind

Much obliged, the spec suggests an over ll height of 150 cms
    https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/fine-filter-twin-motor-200-litre-extractor--hplv#.XrHQOS0ZPAw

iv a dx4000. its great for bandsaws etc which create very little dust. I have a startrite planer /thicknesser and I have filled the dx4000 in a few passes.

I would assume the dx5000 would be the same except that its easier to see when its full. I don't see why you coudnt wall mount the dx5000 and have a large barrel under it and use the bag to make a funnel down into the barrel , cut the bottom off of the bag and hose clamp it to a flange on the lid

Just reading some on line reviews of the record extraction kit:
    it seems that for the 4000 and 5000, the set up is different depending on whether you are collecting dust or chips.
    an extract:
    "..it comes with a fine filter bag that has to be removed while collecting chip and replaced while extracting fine dust (i.e. tablesaw ).."
    Is this true?
    how much of a burden is it to be switching?

it seems that for the 4000 and 5000, the set up is different depending on whether you are collecting dust or chips.
    an extract:
    "..it comes with a fine filter bag that has to be removed while collecting chip and replaced while extracting fine dust (i.e. tablesaw ).."
    Is this true?

I presume they are talking about the white cloth bag that goes over the barrel . that's easy to do but a dusty job. I never take the one off my dx4000 unless im emptying it. it works perfectly fine for the P/T but does fill out the area around the filters a bit so its easier for the shavings to build up around it

an extract:
    Is this true?

I've never swapped the filter bag in and out but it'd be easy enough, it's just lightly elasticated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

511865.jpg

Where do you get your cyclone units? Have you had the containers implode much if you get a pipe blockage? I set up a simple test one (without a cyclone unit) by drilling a hole in the side of a large blue barrel for the inlet from the woodwork machines and placed a pipe connected to the hoover in the top of the lid center. It worked a treat to create a cyclonic effect, until I realised the hoover was making a high pitched squeal..

I went out to the barrel and the sides had all but sucked in fully! :eek:

I could barely believe my eyes. So in principle it worked without the cyclone unit and if it hadn't blocked up somewhere within my piping system all may have worked fine.

I'll post up a pic if I can find it..

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

This was the setup basically. Worked fine until the implosion basically.. :rolleyes:

2020-05-09-16-42-IMG-9552.jpg 2020-05-09-16-42-IMG-9553.jpg 2020-05-09-16-42-IMG-9554.jpg 2020-05-09-16-42-IMG-9555.jpg 2020-05-09-16-42-IMG-9556.jpg

Where do you get your cyclone units? Have you had the containers implode much if you get a pipe blockage? I set up a simple test one (without a cyclone unit) by drilling a hole in the side of a large blue barrel for the inlet from the woodwork machines and placed a pipe connected to the hoover in the top of the lid center. It worked a treat to create a cyclonic effect, until I realised the hoover was making a high pitched squeal..

I went out to the barrel and the sides had all but sucked in fully! :eek:

I could barely believe my eyes. So in principle it worked without the cyclone unit and if it hadn't blocked up somewhere within my piping system all may have worked fine.

I'll post up a pic if I can find it..

The Oneida Dusty Deputy I got from Rutlands.co.uk a couple of years back as a complete package (including buckets, some hose etc).

The generic one I got from Banggood.com and got hold of the various ancillaries myself.

I covered the pros and cons of the two approaches in a blog piece last August including how to avoid the dreaded implosion when using buckets that are designed to keep in pressure rather than keeping it out! :D

https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog/2019/8/11/adding-a-cheap-dust-cyclone

It's very much about my situation of course but I think a lot of it is relevant for others too. Both set ups work totally fine and I think the reenforcement approach will work perfectly well for your barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

an extract:
    Is this true?

This will give you a good idea of the capabilities of the DX4000.

https://youtu.be/812Ez9OT0As

I have it also and find it a great piece of kit, little loud with both motors on but usually have ear defenders on with it.

bamayang wrote: »
    This will give you a good idea of the capabilities of the DX4000.

https://youtu.be/812Ez9OT0As

I have it also and find it a great piece of kit, little loud with both motors on but usually have ear defenders on with it.

I john is pushing the capabilities with a dx4000. its doing it but barely on that long run across to the chop saw. we will have to see how it works on that new chopsaw station he just built.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Ya i would have thought it would have struggled with that distance, but he said its working A1, even over to the chop saw. Prob a good idea having the P/T (which produces the most physically heavy chips) nearest to the vacuum.

Advertisement