Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Lillyfae wrote: »
    That’s not necessarily the case. I know class sizes can be quite large here in NL, definitely on a par with Ireland. However the school facilities themselves are fantastic. There is a voluntary contribution but for things like class trips and events, not toilet paper and soap. It’s less than €50. The per capita funding would of course cover heating, hot water and soap. Before the Irish schools can open the standards would need to be raised a bit to join the rest of the first world.

Are you saying it’s not the case that class sizes are bigger in Ireland than in Europe? They definitely are.
    Where are the facilities better - in Europe or in NI? Sorry I’m just trying to clarify what you’re saying...could be my brain not working today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭combat14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

combat14 wrote: »

Behind the paywall. What’s the gist of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

combat14 wrote: »

While it's nice to have the option to work from home it must be a bit of a nightmare especially with young kids.

Constant supervision while trying to do a half decent effort at your job must be a pain.

The schools and creches will need to be back in action for things to start ticking over properly again.

The 35-44 age group has one of the highest employment levels in the country so I'd be willing to bet that quite a few of those are also parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

If you look at the figures for Lidl and Aldi staff today...4,000 Aldi staff in Ireland and only 10 tested positive for Covid...similar figures to Lidl...does this not raise the question as to why schools can't just reopen as normal in September? Have we not done enough damage to our children and their development/education - or do we just want to rub salt in their wounds without any evidence to back it up.
    The current figures don't justify the current restrictions/measures at all in my view, and certainly not what's been thrown around for September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

If you look at the figures for Lidl and Aldi staff today...4,000 Aldi staff in Ireland and only 10 tested positive for Covid...similar figures to Lidl...does this not raise the question as to why schools can't just reopen as normal in September? Have we not done enough damage to our children and their development/education - or do we just want to rub salt in their wounds without any evidence to back it up.
    The current figures don't justify the current restrictions/measures at all in my view, and certainly not what's been thrown around for September.

The ALdi and Lidl in my area have ppe for staff and perspex screens along with limitations on numbers in the store with sd.

Surely you would want some protective measures in place for students and staff in schools? no one has said they arent opening in sept

Completely agree with you, saw those figures on another thread and couldn't believe it.

These are workers that have been working day after day during the whole thing and their infection rates are miniscule.

Approx 0.25% infection rate, for example if you applied that rate in a school of 300 people that's less than 1 person (0.75) infected and its been proven that it's actually less contagious in kids.

As we all know Aldi and Lidl are very different environments to schools, people tend not to spend long in them, a lot are wearing masks, so the least we can do is provide similar protective measures for our children. Aren't they worth it?

khalessi wrote: »
    The ALdi and Lidl in my area have ppe for staff and perspex screens along with limitations on numbers in the store with sd.

Surely you would want some protective measures in place for students and staff in schools? no one has said they arent opening in sept

Not one of the supermarket staff in my area have PPE in any supermarket, they see hundreds of people per day. Their screens are limited, they touch shopping I've touched, they even help package shopping bags on occasion.
    The protective measures for staff and pupils alike should be rapid testing and tracing, hand sanitisation within reason and a big clamp down on sick children who are sent to school.

Well they all have in mine. masks gloves, spit screens on the tills, social distancing, stop go system on computer screen for entering shop, security reminding people of sd etc and floor spaces marked out

• Advertisement

As we all know Aldi and Lidl are very different environments to schools, people tend not to spend long in them, a lot are wearing masks, so the least we can do is provide similar protective measures for our children. Aren't they worth it?

Hardly anyone in any of the shops I go to wear masks. There's nothing wrong with people wearing them if they feel more secure doing so, but it's not commonplace. The workers of supermarkets are in there all day, every day for longer periods than children attend school. They didn't get sick..

Well thankfully it is left to the professionals to deal with and this is just a thread of opinion.

Well they all have in mine. masks gloves, spit screens on the tills, social distancing, stop go system on computer screen for entering shop, security reminding people of sd etc and floor spaces marked out

HSE have already said no to primary children wearing masks.

If the teacher wants to wear one if it makes them feel less exposed then I don't see why not.

Children will be allowed wear them too if they want. We had kids weaing them before school clased as they felt more comfortable and as you say whatever makes them feel comfortable is important.

There are a lot of comments here by people on how schools should run, when they should be open etc. by people who have no real idea about the inner workings of a school so I am happy to leave to the professionals, it will be a nightmare of a job when we start planning and already I am being asked for input due to my previous career. Watching the argument on the voluntary contributions thread, it is going to be interesting as the DoE will have to put a lot of money into deep cleaning the buliding daily properly and at the moment they can barely supply toilet paper. Maybe at last they weill stump up for the hidden costs for running a school that perents have covered for so long.

Well thankfully it is left to the professionals to deal with and this is just a thread of opinion.

Very true. It’s important to hear all opinions, developments, and reasoning as to why we want to fundamentally change the lives of our children for for foreseeable future. We need hard evidence every day this continues as to why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Completely agree with you, saw those figures on another thread and couldn't believe it.

These are workers that have been working day after day during the whole thing and their infection rates are miniscule.

Approx 0.25% infection rate, for example if you applied that rate in a school of 300 people that's less than 1 person (0.75) infected and its been proven that it's actually less contagious in kids.

I'm sure I read something weeks ago about an issue with this virus (not sure if true of all virus') being viral load. In other words prolonged exposure over time being more harmful than being exposed to lotsof people for a short time. It partially explains why so many frontline health staff contract it in spite of PPE and many safety protocols. I tried to find it again there now but couldn't. If I find it I'll link it.

I think that could be why some settings eg. schools are seen as more risky than others such as supermarkets. It is due to less movement of people and more prolonged exposure throughout the day. Happy to be corrected if I've made a pigs ear of explaining that.

Editedto add: i would love schools opened as normal as possible, as soon as possible but only when deamed reasonably safe not as a rushed political/populist decision.

Very true. It’s important to hear all opinions, developments, and reasoning as to why we want to fundamentally change the lives of our children for for foreseeable future. We need hard evidence every day this continues as to why.

As the virus has more or less been eliminated in the community now its definitely time to accelerate the reopening.

Don't know how they can justify dragging this out until end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I was actually talking about that today. I was wondering what the status were for supermarket workers. They have been working with each other and also relatively close contact with customers, but without PPE.
    I thought they would be a good indication of how this would pass with in the general population when things gradually return to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Absolutely, this is just discussion.
    I teach in a very large secondary school and I see no way it would be possible to enforce social distancing.
    I think the options come Sept are pretty much business as usual or continue closures ( nightmare scenario)
    I just don't see partial measures working. But as you say people more qualified than me will make the decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

morebabies wrote: »
    I know, but for families with members with compromised immune systems, I think full time homeschooling should be an option. Junior and Leaving Cert can't be done completely at home at the moment because of the project work, I think they should make it possible for these children to do their exams and get their coursework assessed 100% through homeschooling. (Yes I have a vested interest).

I agree homeschooling should be an option for those who need it and those students and their families should be supported.
    My student will be JC next year and while I dont think the JC is the be all and end all the overall access to teaching does concern me.

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »
    Absolutely, this is just discussion.
    I teach in a very large secondary school and I see no way it would be possible to enforce social distancing.
    I think the options come Sept are pretty much business as usual or continue closures ( nightmare scenario)
    I just don't see partial measures working. But as you say people more qualified than me will make the decisions

Be interesting to see how it works out in the UK, they are starting to open back up education on 1st of June.

Boris has admitted that full social distancing "may not be possible". "Priority is the education and welfare of all children and young people across the country".

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

I've been going to work throughout.. busy place, couple hundred employees. Only one person tested positive and they aren't even sick. Not really social distancing being honest. Plenty close working. Nobody with gloves or masks. None of our local supermarkets have staff wearing gloves or masks either. Just being honest. Only people I know tested positive and got sick were e a couple of elderly with underlying health problems who were accessing health services. In my experience, most people have had enough of it and have significantly eased off distancing and extra hygiene measures because I think basically people no longer see it as a threat to the vast majority of the population which it doesn't seem to be. IMO, back to school as normal in September. Bit of extra handwashing but no masks, distancing or any of that necessary. Kids will be mixing over the summer. Best to get back to normal business for everyone now, keeping a watchful eye on the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

According to the HSE playbook 2009 the biggest limiting factor to introducing handwashing as a measure to prevent spread was the lack of hot water in schools.

So unless schools can impove handwashing facilites before september......

Screen-Shot-2020-05-23-at-12.27.03-e1590344094809.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I just watched Simon Reeve with the Rohinga people in Burma . Even in very difficult circumstances and families in poverty they have a little shelter built and a little school for the kids .
    They understand the social aspect and the real need for kids to be together and learn
    I really hope that our schools can function near enough to normal very soon and that September sees us all in a better situation and in control of the virus

Seanergy wrote: »
    According to the HSE playbook 2009 the biggest limiting factor to introducing handwashing as a measure to prevent spread was the lack of hot water in schools.

So unless schools can impove handwashing facilites before september......

Screen-Shot-2020-05-23-at-12.27.03-e1590344094809.png

I remember we had to send in personal hand towels, tissues and hand sanitisers with school kids during the swine flu pandemic. Our school started this again back in early March.

I'd say the hot water issue could be for safety more than anything else.

All kids should have their own hygiene pack in their bag and towels changed daily. Never mind coronavirus, the amount of colds and vomiting bugs that could be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

HSE have already said no to primary children wearing masks.

If the teacher wants to wear one if it makes them feel less exposed then I don't see why not.

Wait and see we won't be allowed to. I would bet wager money that this is one thing they will give guidance on. The logic being that it will make the children anxious rather than thinking about their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

WAW wrote: »
    I've been going to work throughout.. busy place, couple hundred employees. Only one person tested positive and they aren't even sick. Not really social distancing being honest. Plenty close working. Nobody with gloves or masks. None of our local supermarkets have staff wearing gloves or masks either. Just being honest. Only people I know tested positive and got sick were e a couple of elderly with underlying health problems who were accessing health services. In my experience, most people have had enough of it and have significantly eased off distancing and extra hygiene measures because I think basically people no longer see it as a threat to the vast majority of the population which it doesn't seem to be. IMO, back to school as normal in September. Bit of extra handwashing but no masks, distancing or any of that necessary. Kids will be mixing over the summer. Best to get back to normal business for everyone now, keeping a watchful eye on the vulnerable.
    We have gone for 100% safety which doesn’t exist. Over the top curtailing funerals etc.

So for the first time since 21st of March we have zero reported deaths from coronavirus. A bit of hope and great news.

I did notice today that the roads were much busier than previous weeks and definitely a lot busier workwise so it looks like things are starting to get back to normal. People seem more confident and less frightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

They wiiny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

As the virus has more or less been eliminated in the community now its definitely time to accelerate the reopening.

Don't know how they can justify dragging this out until end of August.

This is my opinion since April.

I have two young children. For one, this is like water off a duck's back. The other is asking when will the virus be gone. He no longer wants to do any school work. He has lost his interest in school and his non school interests.

Can schools not have a once a week two hours in school so that those kinds of students can still see a physical link with their school ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement