Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some people think it's ok to vape indoors?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

The only place I sub-ohm is in the smoking area at work and that's not all the time I might add. It's a few tokes for a quick hit of flavour and nic. Everywhere else, mostly in the car or in the bog at home, I MTL. If I were to break it down, probably 90% of the time its MTL and 10% sub-ohm. I prefer the hit and experiencec you get from MTL.

Someone posted previously that the bigger the cloud, the more flavour you get. This may be true for the most part, but I get some seriously good flavour from my MTL setup of a KFL 2019, more so than the raptor sub-ohm tank I use.

I don't agree with the people who walk around town with plumes of vape coming off them. I don't do this, and rarely vape outdoors. I don't vape in front of my kids. I don't want them picking up bad habits. In fact, they don't even know I vape. I've been living in the UK for years now, and there's a massive difference generally between UK and Ireland. You will rarely see people vaping, say in a pub over here, whereas in Dublin, when I come home, it seems pretty normal. As for vaping in the National Concert Hall. Seriously? People should show some respect. It would never cross my mind to do such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

TinCool wrote: »
    As for vaping in the National Concert Hall. Seriously? People should show some respect. It would never cross my mind to do such a thing.

Yup. This was at the acoustic Bell X-1 gig in the NCH in November '18, 5 minutes before the band took to the stage. It was an acoustic gig, they didn't use dry ice...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

OH and I are both WFH and he has started vaping in the house. Am 35 weeks pregnant and I really would prefer if he didn't. He insists it's "just vapour" and I shouldn't be annoyed by it. But what if there are risks that come to light after? Is there not nicotine in vaping products?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭corkie

Antares35 wrote: »
    OH and I are both WFH and he has started vaping in the house. Am 35 weeks pregnant and I really would prefer if he didn't. He insists it's "just vapour" and I shouldn't be annoyed by it. But what if there are risks that come to light after? Is there not nicotine in vaping products?
    Is second hand vapor dangerous?

Looking at the vaping studies mentioned above and others, Public Health England’s 264-page review of available evidence of vaping risks concluded that “to date there have been no identified health risks of passive vaping to bystanders.”

Igor Burstyn’s study of the dangers of second hand vaping attempted to “estimate potential exposures from aerosols produced by electronic cigarettes and compare those potential exposures to occupational exposure standards.” He concluded that “Exposures of bystanders are likely to be orders of magnitude less, and thus pose no apparent concern.”

Is Second Hand Vapor Harmful to Breathe?

If your googling, you will probably come across allot of misinformation published by the anti-vaping crowds.

Crack a window open in the room he is vaping in or request he does it in another room to you.

Edit: - [publichealthmatters blog gov uk] Clearing up some myths around e-cigarettes
    MYTH 4 - Exposure to e-cigarette vapour is harmful to bystanders

The evidence is clear that exposure to second hand smoke is harmful, which is why the UK has laws prohibiting smoking in enclosed public places and workplaces. These laws do not cover vaping and organisations are free to make their own policies on the use of e-cigarettes on their premises.

E-cigarette liquid is typically composed of nicotine, propylene glycol and/or glycerine, and flavourings. Unlike cigarettes, there is no side-stream vapour emitted by an e-cigarette into the atmosphere, just the exhaled aerosol.

PHE’s 2018 evidence review found that to date, there have been no identified health risks of passive vaping to the health of bystanders.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Antares35 wrote: »

There is, that's the whole point of them.

"E-cigarettes create vapor made of fine and ultrafine particles of particulate matter, which contain propylene glycol and/or glycerin, usually nicotine and flavors, and small amounts of toxicants, carcinogens, heavy metals, metal nanoparticles, and other substances." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

• Advertisement

^^^
    E-cigarettes create vapor made of fine and ultrafine particles of particulate matter,[9] which contain propylene glycol and/or glycerin, usually nicotine and flavors, and small amounts of toxicants,[9] carcinogens,[10] heavy metals, metal nanoparticles, and other substances.[9] Its exact composition varies, and depends on several factors including user behaviour.[notes 2] There are also pod mod devices that use protonated nicotine, rather than free-base nicotine found in earlier generations.[11]

Above is what a vapor absorbs on vaping themselves majority of it absorbed by them and not pass on in the exhaled vapor.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

corkie wrote: »
    ^^^

Above is what a vapor absorbs on vaping themselves majority of it absorbed by them and not pass on in the exhaled vapor.

So not all, then. Thanks for proving my point.

I used to be an asshole too, I used to smoke indoors. I got better. You can too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Loads of the staff in the special school where I work had to be told to stop vaping openly at lunch in the staff room. They were doing it in the staff toilet instead up to the lockdown :D

I'm a smoker myself so I didn't really care but I can see why people complained them, someone else's vape isn't really be something you should have to inhale on your break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

There wouldn't be enough nicotine leftover to have even the most minor physiological effect (unless she's got an extreme case of asthma, maybe the particles could set it off).

Here, I made a post about this for you about 6 years ago. I'm thoughtful like that.

You shouldn't call somebody an asshole before you have facts and figures. Or at all I guess, although I fall foul of it myself when somebody's actually being an asshole. Anyway, smoking indoors is incomparable to vaping and will have zero effect on her child.

However, if she feels he's being a díck and she just doesn't like vaping because she doesn't like the nice flavours and they stress her out or whatever, he should stop out of politeness if not for his own sanity, because bickering with a pregnant lady is even more debilitating than bickering with people who haven't read a single study on vaping.

I used to be an asshole too, I used to smoke indoors. I got better. You can too.

Seems you may still be but for a different reason. You assume that I smoke (and or vape big clouds) around people, I don't. (Maybe years ago when no bans on smoking).

But when we get to name calling, your points/post lose all meaning.
    grindle wrote: »
    Here, I made a post about this for you about 6 years ago. I'm thoughtful like that.

You shouldn't call somebody an asshole before you have facts and figures. Or at all I guess, although I fall foul of it myself when somebody's actually being an asshole. Anyway, smoking indoors is incomparable to vaping and will have zero effect on her child.

Do you honestly think, he/she(or it) will take the time and effort to click that and actually read?

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »
    Do you honestly think, he/she(or it) will take the time and effort to click that and actually read?

99% probably not. They might pop back and tell us facts are obnoxious or something, some/most boardsies are funny like that.

"This doesn't suit my ill-conceived notions, maaaaan, step off brah!"

:rolleyes: Whatever.

Did yer man ever finish his research into whether nicotine outside cigarettes was addictive or not?

Bottom line, smoking indoors, especially when you've been asked not to, makes you an asshole. Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Shinobollo

Did yer man ever finish his research into whether nicotine outside cigarettes was addictive or not?

Bottom line, smoking indoors, especially when you've been asked not to, makes you an asshole. Don't do it.

You still haven't grasped the difference between smoking and vaping.
    Might I suggest you go do a little reading before making any more of your well thought out and superbly researched contributions to the vaping forum

Yip
    Some e-cigarette users were dependent on nicotine when used in e-cigarettes, but these products were less addictive than tobacco cigarettes. E-cigarettes may be as addictive or less addictive than the nicotine gum, which itself is not very addictive.

The study was about how addictive it is outside of cigarettes, not about if it is at all. It's a mild stimulant, a reward to your nervous system for no work done. Stimulants are addictive.

Who/What/When maybe you could link the source of this information?

Most/Majority of doctors admit Nicotine is addictive.

Why are you picking on nicotine now?

Nicotine No Worse Than Cup Of Coffee - Report
    New research suggests nine out of 10 people falsely believe nicotine is very harmful to their heath.

The worst damage to health is caused by the tobacco in cigarettes, which - when burning - exposes users to chemicals such as tar and arsenic.

Tobacco also contains some nicotine, but according to the new report, nicotine itself isn't harmful.

Nicotine replacement products, like gum, patches and e-cigarettes, are therefore significantly less harmful than cigarettes themselves, according to the research.

I am aware that Nicotine can have negative effects on developing brains (teenagers/fetus) and to be avoided while pregnant.

Back to the pregnant lady's question, she would not absorb enough of it by second hand vapor for it to be a concern.
    It would be another mater if he is DIY ejuicing and leaves high concentrated nic on surfaces.

I suppose your next thought or question is why vaping is not an official NRT?
    ^^^ Follow the money Big T & Big Pharma + Anti-vaping groups blocking it.

grindle wrote: »
    Yip

The study was about how addictive it is outside of cigarettes, not about if it is at all. It's a mild stimulant, a reward to your nervous system for no work done. Stimulants are addictive.

Thanks for the coherent response. Some of the other people on this forum are majorly defensive and sensitive. They should chill ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks for the coherent response. Some of the other people on this forum are majorly defensive and sensitive. They should chill ;-)

To be fair , you are in the vaping forum, what did you expect from guys that are constantly batting away negative opinion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rencempriceus

I completely agree with this—such an interesting topic to read, though.

Advertisement