Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Have Taken Over Carrickphierish Road...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

Past up that way two weeks ago.the young pups throwing stones at every car that passed and right across the road from their "compound"not even the parents care,I put down my windows and shouted out touch my van and your f**king dead.they are a complete law onto themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Saw two kids around 11/12 on a sulky a few weeks ago on the ORR. They were too busy watching something on their tablet to watch the road. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

Don’t live around there but regularly cycle along the Carrickphierish Road. Feel sorry for the people living around there. It is just shocking the way it has gone. One time I was cycling there a horse had gotten loose. Only someone in a car coming in the other direction slowed down and warned me the horse could have ran me down. It is just not a suitable place for a halting site, it needs to be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

BBM77 wrote: »
    Don’t live around there but regularly cycle along the Carrickphierish Road. Feel sorry for the people living around there. It is just shocking the way it has gone. One time I was cycling there a horse had gotten loose. Only someone in a car coming in the other direction slowed down and warned me the horse could have ran me down. It is just not a suitable place for a halting site.

Its a perfectly acceptable place as long as the residents obey the law. Which they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

Deiseen wrote: »
    Its a perfectly acceptable place as long as the residents obey the law. Which they don't.

Completely disagree with you, it is not an acceptable place. The fact of the matter is these people don’t obey the law and live a lifestyle that is disruptive to people in the surrounding area. And frankly most people find very intimidating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

BBM77 wrote: »
    Completely disagree with you, it is not an acceptable place. The fact of the matter is these people don’t obey the law and live a lifestyle that is disruptive to people in the surrounding area. And frankly most people find very intimidating.

I know, I'm just saying that if travellers obeyed the law and didn't cause so much trouble then people wouldn't mind having a halting site near to them.

The fact is they bring all sorts of trouble wherever they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The overarching debate here really - traveller culture is becoming more and more incompatible with modern Irish culture.

Their living conditions are invariably awful. However, travellers will probably complain that the facilities they want and need aren't there. But its a nearly impossible task to provide facilities for nomadic people - because they're nomadic. You'd nearly have to have loads of potential sites free dotted around the country in the prospect that families might want to use them from time to time.

Ditto for education and ill health that are issues in the community. How can you properly educate a kid or young adult if you're moving around all the time?

How can you build a relationship with your local health services if you're also moving around?

While I'm sure they face discrimination in the employment market - again any person lacking in education or who doesn't have a fixed address is going to struggle to find work.

Decades ago the gap was smaller as there was more work for them in tinkering and other trades. Education was less of a barrier as many people never finished school.

From listening to older relatives crime seemed to be less of an issue - but things seem to be getting worse and worse now and you're wondering where does it end.

I personally wouldn't like to swap places with them in the morning as they seem to have a difficult life - but many of the problems lay squarely at their own door too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Azatadine

This thread is about the group up in Carrickpherrish rather than travellers in general. The group up there are filthy and they intimidate people who pass by. No sense in the state of the place at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Azatadine wrote: »
    This thread is about the group up in Carrickpherrish rather than travellers in general. The group up there are filthy and they intimidate people who pass by. No sense in the state of the place at all.

You're probably right, but the more general issues are probably contributing to the current situation on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Living in Mount Suir myself, sick of them. Numerous times have found them in the back garden, usual excuse is they are looking for their dog that's missing. Last week when I was trying to reverse out of the driveway they were lying down on the footpath so I couldn't get out, wouldn't move either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Azatadine

They are lawless. They really dont care. That road is their playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Can i just ask a question?

I very nearly had the side of my car hit by 2 CHILDREN on a horse and cart coming to a roundabout, 6 cross roads

What happens insurance wise if my car is damaged by one of these carts on a major road, I'm pretty sure they aren't taxed or insured?? So it would be me who has to foot he bill??

How is that fair not to mention Legal??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I very nearly had the side of my car hit by 2 CHILDREN on a horse and cart coming to a roundabout, 6 cross roads

What happens insurance wise if my car is damaged by one of these carts on a major road, I'm pretty sure they aren't taxed or insured?? So it would be me who has to foot he bill??

https://www.mibi.ie/making-a-claim/test.1752.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Odelay

If you leave your car with them, they will fix it so good you won’t even be able to see where the damage was. It will be as if the damage simply desolated away.
    Very talented with their hands they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

gscully wrote: »

Where do MBI get the funds from?

Insured drivers!

Odelay wrote: »
    If you leave your car with them, they will fix it so good you won’t even be able to see where the damage was. It will be as if the damage simply desolated away.
    Very talented with their hands they are.

How come i have to pay tax on my vehicle and have insurance oh and an NCT and a valid Licence and they get to use the road with a horse and trailer and not have to have any of these things?? that makes me sick, that's so unfair

That's surely a sign of one law for one section of society and one for another??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

How come i have to pay tax on my vehicle and have insurance oh and an NCT and a valid Licence and they get to use the road with a horse and trailer and not have to have any of these things?? that makes me sick, that's so unfair

Probably cos you are racist..!!!

washman3 wrote: »
    Probably cos you are racist..!!!

Well Its comments like that are really stupid, I'm pointing out what i perceive
    as an unfair society, my car gets damaged by someone on the road who is in charge of a vehicle without tax insurance or licence and you call me a racist.

I was merely asking how is that fair, If i was told that i didn't need tax NCT insurance and driving licence to drive a vehicle on the road and the people who were on the horse and cart were told they need all of the above to use a vehicle on the road do you not think they would be asking how is that fair??

Actually to call me racist because I've questioned

2 Minors in control of a Horse, sitting on a steel structure with wheels and their ability to be in control of that vehicle (licence and training) to insure the safety of other road users and in the event of a crash that they are able to provide proof of insurance if they have been in the wrong in the event of an accident is perfectly reasonable and to jump to call me racist means you haven't got a reasonable answer to a reasonable question.

I've called the RSA and couldn't get through for love nor racism

• hardybuck wrote: »
    The overarching debate here really - traveller culture is becoming more and more incompatible with modern Irish culture.

Their living conditions are invariably awful. However, travellers will probably complain that the facilities they want and need aren't there. But its a nearly impossible task to provide facilities for nomadic people - because they're nomadic. You'd nearly have to have loads of potential sites free dotted around the country in the prospect that families might want to use them from time to time.

Ditto for education and ill health that are issues in the community. How can you properly educate a kid or young adult if you're moving around all the time?

How can you build a relationship with your local health services if you're also moving around?.

It can be done, if they wanted it enough.
    We grew up on funfairs. And my father before that. And his father before that. And his mother before that.
    We're all educated.
    Good health.
    We were enrolled in schools in every town we visited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

That's surely a sign of one law for one section of society and one for another??

Theres nothing stopping you from getting a horse and trailer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't mean to upset you but there are these other things that are on the roads called bicycles.

They also don't have to pay tax, insurance or NCT AND anyone can use them without a license, they don't even have to be 17 or older!

Whatever you do, don't ever visit Amsterdam it'll upset you an awful lot
    :p

On a more serious note, if its legal for the age of the person with the horse to be legally on the road I don't see the issue.
    I encounter riders on horses now and then around where I live and while I see some motorists get impatient about them they are legal to be there.

If of course its a child in control of the horse or they are doing something dangerous then please report to Gardai the same way you'd report any other person doing something dangerous or illegal on the roads.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Actually to call me racist because I've questioned

2 Minors in control of a Horse, sitting on a steel structure with wheels and their ability to be in control of that vehicle (licence and training) to insure the safety of other road users and in the event of a crash that they are able to provide proof of insurance if they have been in the wrong in the event of an accident is perfectly reasonable and to jump to call me racist means you haven't got a reasonable answer to a reasonable question.

Ok, if they are children then thats an issue and please report it for everyone's sake!

However, whats the obsession with a license, training and insurance?

The only requirement from what I can see is for a person with a horse is to follow the rules of the road, they don't need specific training for this and they certainly don't need a license.

Of course if you'd like to identify the relevant legislation to backup that they need specific training courses, a license and insurance then by all means please do so.

Otherwise you are requesting that they do stuff that they are not legally required to do.

If you think they should have all these things then please raise it with your TD and the RSA, but keep in mind that horse owners (plenty of non-travellers) are likely to dislike your suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Horses on the road... a good read here

in essence must be over 16 to be in control
    a licence is needed
    microchipping is needed

all contained here
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_horses.html

robtri wrote: »
    Horses on the road... a good read here

in essence must be over 16 to be in control
    a licence is needed
    microchipping is needed

all contained here
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/animal_welfare_and_control/control_of_horses.html

This was good but mentions horses only, there's no mention of trailers and insurance issues, for example, if my car gets badly damaged as a result of the sulky thing they sit on do they have insurance to cover damage?? and god knows no one is going to drop into the halting site for a cuppa tea and a chat about it

Cabaal wrote: »
    I don't mean to upset you but there are these other things that are on the roads called bicycles.

They also don't have to pay tax, insurance or NCT AND anyone can use them without a license, they don't even have to be 17 or older!

Whatever you do, don't ever visit Amsterdam it'll upset you an awful lot
    :p

On a more serious note, if its legal for the age of the person with the horse to be legally on the road I don't see the issue.
    I encounter riders on horses now and then around where I live and while I see some motorists get impatient about them they are legal to be there.

If of course its a child in control of the horse or they are doing something dangerous then please report to Gardai the same way you'd report any other person doing something dangerous or illegal on the roads.

I think your focusing on bikes here a little too much in order to make me sound like i have an irrational argument.

A bike is normally to the side of traffic and is in most cases that i have come across controlled by an adult.

The question i was asking was about road worthiness of their trailers and in the event of damage to my vehicle are they covered by insurance? how would you sort out damage to your vehicle if they were to hit it by trailer.

In comparison a bike has one person in control, 2 children in control of a large animal on a main road at a roundabout sitting on a trailer is an entirely different set of circumstances.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Ok, if they are children then thats an issue and please report it for everyone's sake!

However, whats the obsession with a license, training and insurance?

The only requirement from what I can see is for a person with a horse is to follow the rules of the road, they don't need specific training for this and they certainly don't need a license.

Of course if you'd like to identify the relevant legislation to backup that they need specific training courses, a license and insurance then by all means please do so.

Otherwise you are requesting that they do stuff that they are not legally required to do.

If you think they should have all these things then please raise it with your TD and the RSA, but keep in mind that horse owners (plenty of non-travellers) are likely to dislike your suggestions.

That's the point i am raising there should be more legislation in regard to the use of the road as it seems to be a do what you want attitude. I have tried to contact the RSA in relation to this but no answer.

Look all i am raising are some issues i find need to be addressed here, and the answers i am getting back are well your racists or you wouldn't feel well in Amsterdam.

IF you drive a car with a trailer the guards can pull you on that and say well this trailer isn't road worthy cos the tyres are bad, you haven't got a licence to use a trailer etc etc.

Yet when my car is damaged at a round about by 2 children in charge of a horse I have asked myself why is it they don't need to follow the same rules for road use as us?? have they insurance etc etc

I don't think its madness it think its a valid point,

Oh and report it when i see 2 kids on a horse to who? the guards, what are they gonna do about it??

What is the situation if a cyclist crashes into my car?
    Will my insurance company pursue that person for damages?
    Do I have to do this to get my vehicle repaired without loss (out of pocket expenses and NCB etc)?

As for kids in (alleged) control of a horse ...... it is long past the time that this was enforced (along with a lot of other breaches of law).

Confiscation is the only answer IMO.
    Of course that would require effort and planning which sadly seems to be lacking in our law enforcement.

What is the situation if a cyclist crashes into my car?
    Will my insurance company pursue that person for damages?
    Do I have to do this to get my vehicle repaired without loss (out of pocket expenses and NCB etc)?

As for kids in (alleged) control of a horse ...... it is long past the time that this was enforced (along with a lot of other breaches of law).

Confiscation is the only answer IMO.
    Of course that would require effort and planning which sadly seems to be lacking in our law enforcement.

Well in this particular situation the horse and cart came right up beside me approaching a roundabout, cyclists rarely do that and if they do the size and space taken up is quite different, when i am driving past a cyclist i give them a wide birth so the chances are alot less, if indeed i was to have an accident i would be calling the guards and or taking cyclist details cos if the cyclist was liable, I wouldn't be calling the guards or getting details off 2 children from a halting site down the road, cant imagine them being to friendly towards me as a result in our future dealings

• Advertisement

Well in this particular situation the horse and cart came right up beside me approaching a roundabout, cyclists rarely do that and if they do the size and space taken up is quite different, when i am driving past a cyclist i give them a wide birth so the chances are alot less, if indeed i was to have an accident i would be calling the guards and or taking cyclist details cos if the cyclist was liable, I wouldn't be calling the guards or getting details off 2 children from a halting site down the road, cant imagine them being to friendly towards me as a result in our future dealings

Cyclists could be aggressive or simply do a runner etc even though you would recognise them again.

Yes it is much more likely that a horse will do something unexpected in traffic, and when in control of children that can be even more dangerous.
    The sulky/cart is an added danger in such situations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement