Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying dog food in bulk

• 08-05-2006 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hi, I buy my dogs food in bulk as in the 15 kilo bags. Can anyone tell me the cheapest place to get this is? The pet shop is dear enough. About €19 for a 15kilo bag of Madra and €16 for Mcdonalds (I think) puppy food.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Sounds cheap to me:D Mine are on Royal Canin and it's €58 per 15kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Arcadian wrote:

Is there that much of a difference between madra or pedigree and Royal Canin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Yes ! I've often seen Pedigree being compared to McDonalds in the pet food stakes. My dogs love RC, they're in great condition, they don't pass wind(:p ) and what comes out the other end isn't as pongy or loose as with other foods.

There's an interesting article here, you may need to register first though.

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=32371

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

15 KG bag of Burns dog food from vets costs be 50 euro may seem like a lot and it took me a while to realise it but it was for the best. It lasts my 2 dogs 6 weeks ish. I would never go back to ped chum again no more stinky poops and one of my dogs has a sensative tum and I have to be careful what I give her I rekon the ped chum didnt help as my previous dog was fed on it and other supermarket brands and she developed tum problems too, could of been a coincidence but all in all i find Burns 100% better.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Arcadian wrote:

Sweet Jesus, €58 for 15kg:eek: I think I'd have to put the St. Bernard on rations;)

Mine gets Redmills Star, €14 for 15Kg from our local Agri Supplies. The dog trainer/kennels that we used previously recommended it, as this is what they give all their dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Please keep in mind, that once opened, even dry food does go off relatively quickly.

You shouldn't really keep it any longer than 2-3 weeks, definitely not in its original, opened bag.

Try and get a sealed container with a lid, this way you will also prevent food mites from getting at it. The container also will have to be cleaned before re-filling.

Food mites can cause allergies and stomach problems.

If there is a distinct difference in consistency / smell / colour (or taste ...if you're that way inclined:D ) between the dregs of the last batch and the first lot of the new batch ...then you definetly stored the old food for too long.

Quite a few makers do 7.5 kg bags now. They are a good compromise for people with only one or two dogs.

(And pedigree is about the worst food that you could give your dog. It has all sorts of chemicals added to make it look and smell nice to humans. Basically it's the same brown pulp as with any other maker, just significantly made worse by colourants, artificial softners, artificial flavours and coagulating agents that help to form it into all those different colour and texture "chunks")

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

I get 7.5kg bags of pro plan pet food (anyone heard of it?) for €25 I think from my local vets supplies. This lasts over a month for my little whippety. Never thought about the going off thing peasant, will have to bear that in mind in future. Used to feed Pedigree, whippety is much less smelly since I changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Hah! I go through a 15kg bag of james wellbeloved every 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Carb wrote:
    Sweet Jesus, €58 for 15kg:eek: I think I'd have to put the St. Bernard on rations;)
    Try having to feed 2 St Bernards, an Irish Wolf Hound, a terrier and a litle ****zu.

We did feed them Pedigree for a while but changed because they didn't seem to like it. One of the St Bernards is on Royal Canin because now and again she has problems with her coat.
    The rest are on Madra complete mix.

Now and again we give them canned food with regular mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Please keep in mind, that once opened, even dry food does go off relatively quickly

Very true or end up getting spilled all over the floor or ripped up by naughty dogs. I got my paws on a free dog food container, some pet shops and vets have them when there's a dog food offer on and some gladly give them away even if you don't buy the dog food, very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Rabies wrote:
    Try having to feed 2 St Bernards, an Irish Wolf Hound, a terrier and a litle ****zu.

We did feed them Pedigree for a while but changed because they didn't seem to like it. One of the St Bernards is on Royal Canin because now and again she has problems with her coat.
    The rest are on Madra complete mix.

Now and again we give them canned food with regular mix.

How often does the delivery lorry come:D . I thought I'd enough to buy for a St. Bernard and a Siberian Huskie.

We used to feed the Huskie pedigree chum. He was in the house at the time and some mornings we considered calling a cleaning company to sort out the mess. Things settled down when we started using a dry mix. Now they get half a tin of food (not pedigree) each mixed into their dry mix, just for the taste.

Does your ****zu not feel intimidated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Carb wrote:
    Does your ****zu not feel intimidated:)
    Not really. She spends her day running around the front yard going crazy and odd time hitting her self off walls. Apart from that she is normal :D
    The terrier gets on with the St Bernard bitch like a house on fire. The other St Bernard and Wolf Hound are both male and share a large kennel and run.

At times it is impossible to leave the house without getting covered in drool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

jayzis, just checked my dog's food -- 3kg of science plan, €18!!!

never thought it that expensive tbh, but maybe buying bigger bags is a good idea... we've got a boxer, and that food lasts her about a week I'd say.

any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jinx087

I used to pay 70euros for royal canin maxi junior. I found this new place in Kildare that does all the big brands cheaper than the pet shops. Couldn't believe it when I got it for 55euro. Feel like a dope after paying 70 for months.:mad:

It really pays to shop around guys!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

jinx087 wrote: »
    I used to pay 70euros for royal canin maxi junior. I found this new place in Kildare that does all the big brands cheaper than the pet shops. Couldn't believe it when I got it for 55euro. Feel like a dope after paying 70 for months.:mad:

It really pays to shop around guys!! ;)

Where is that? Is it in Kildare village?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Where is that? Is it in Kildare village?
    Its in ballitore. I think they deliver to some of the county. not sure how far. here's the number of the guy I dealt with. 086 3801252. Let me know how you get on.

Its in ballitore. I think they deliver to some of the county. not sure how far. here's the number of the guy I dealt with. 086 3801252. Let me know how you get on.

Is that in between Moone and Timolin?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Is that in between Moone and Timolin?

Its in between Kilcullen and Moone just off the n9.

Its in between Kilcullen and Moone just off the n9.

great, That's only 25 minutes away from me. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

dont forget to try zooplus.co.uk much cheaper than zooplus.ie and both do free delivery on orders over 30 quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

whats the name of the place up in newry that does the food and delivers down south?

anyone know?

Pentconnection found it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 snipedog

Hello,

Anyone ever hear of a dog food called Bewi? Or do you know where it can be bought?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Has anyone here ever noticed a change in their dog(s) while on P.Chum? I tried it on my two for a week as i got caught out without dog food one night and grabbed some in Tesco. They're both lively dogs but on the chum they were acting like they'd been given crystal meth or crack... I blame the added chemicals.

Back on their normal food now, Madra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

GalKiefer wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever noticed a change in their dog(s) while on P.Chum? I tried it on my two for a week as i got caught out without dog food one night and grabbed some in Tesco. They're both lively dogs but on the chum they were acting like they'd been given crystal meth or crack... I blame the added chemicals.

Back on their normal food now, Madra.

had my fella on it for a week, he farted like mad and by god it smelled horrible.

poo was also very loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

I feed my dogs on Massbrook, they do a few varieties. cost €16 and €20 for 15kg
    they seem to do well on it.

there is a really good website that does dog food analysis which teaches you how to read the bag, ingredients list and it seems a lot of the expensive brands are not really better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

there is a really good website that does dog food analysis which teaches you how to read the bag, ingredients list and it seems a lot of the expensive brands are not really better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 snipedog

cloudy day wrote: »

What is the website Cloudy Day, it would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Hi All,

Looking for the best price for Science Plan dog food in the Dublin area - our vets are a rip-off.

Thanks Velcrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

just order it from www.zooplus.co.uk free delivery

Advertisement