Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vastus Medialis Imbalance- Exercises?

• 19-10-2008 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Due to favoring one of my legs after an injury, my right Vastus Medialis i.e. the big muscle on the inside of the quads, is significantly smaller than the one on the left. Due to this new irritation is occurring on the right knee. I was wondering does anyone know of any good exercises to build up this muscle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

Due to favoring one of my legs after an injury, my right Vastus Medialis i.e. the big muscle on the inside of the quads, is significantly smaller than the one on the left. Due to this new irritation is occurring on the right knee. I was wondering does anyone know of any good exercises to build up this muscle?

You're on about the teardrop....Single leg extensions should help, but I get the feeling you've already tried that.
    Static lunges (split squats) are better, but keep the stance more narrow than usual and push from the ball of the foot rather than the heel to hit the teardrop more. These are very effective but be careful as they can be harsh on the knees.
    Also barbell hacksquats focusing on the weak leg really isolate this part of the quads.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

cougar1 wrote: »
    You're on about the teardrop....Single leg extensions should help, but I get the feeling you've already tried that.
    Static lunges (split squats) are better, but keep the stance more narrow than usual and push from the ball of the foot rather than the heel to hit the teardrop more. These are very effective but be careful as they can be harsh on the knees.
    Also barbell hacksquats focusing on the weak leg really isolate this part of the quads.

Yep, I've tried the extensions. I'll deffo do the other two exercises. Thanks a mill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Terminal Knee Extenstions (TKE's) are awesome for your VMO; http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=33895&tid=115

Any sort of deep squat should hit it too. The one exercises where I've felt it more than anything else is doing hack squats on a machine going as deep as possible.

Advertisement