Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Shredneck wrote: »
    Exactly. I think people are confusing the Bill Pay Price Plan with the actual Contract.
    I think the relevant point is - once you are out of contract, regardless of whether you are still paying monthly on the network - you are free to leave at any time and get "new customer" deals with a new carrier.

Can you avail of the same deals by remaining with O2 if you promise to sign a new contract (assuming you are not due an upgrade)?
    Kahless wrote: »
    I notice the Mods there haven't commented. Perhaps there's some furious clarification and damage-limitation going on behind the O2 scenes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dicknorris

I have the nokia 5800 with O2 and want to get the iphone but am still under contract with the nokia 5800 they won't let me upgrade have to let my contrt run out. can I get out of the contract with my nokia or is this for someone with an iphone the change of contract applies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Dades wrote: »

I notice the Mods there haven't commented. Perhaps there's some furious clarification and damage-limitation going on behind the O2 scenes. :pac:

Thats what puzzles me most, a mod could end that discussion with a statement one way or another.

It surely doesn't make much business sense for them to scare off customers to another network after they lose the contracts, seeing as long as they remain on O2 its still revenue. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Excellent spot. I only signed up to an 18 month iPhone contract last month and I rang them an hour ago and they cancelled my contract without question! :)

Super Stuff!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It surely doesn't make much business sense for them to scare off customers to another network after they lose the contracts, seeing as long as they remain on O2 its still revenue. :confused:
    Perhaps someone underestimated the power of the internet to disseminate bargains/loopholes/gossip etc.

This has probably gone unnoticed for years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

just rang o2 there and the rep couldn't say yes/no. Said Business Support would be in contact with me in next 48 hrs.

I rhymed off the t&c wording that was posted earlier but she just wasn't sure and said they'd get back to me.

it would be great if i could get removed from the contract but stay on the plan....fingers crossed

so I'm nearly 12mths into an 18 mth contract, I can ring up and get the contract cancelled but is my handset still locked to o2? Will it only be unlocked until 18 mths have elapsed?

so I'm nearly 12mths into an 18 mth contract, I can ring up and get the contract cancelled but is my handset still locked to o2? Will it only be unlocked until 18 mths have elapsed?

You can request your iphone to be unlocked on the o2 forums!

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?9038-iPhone-Unlocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I've just asked my wife to ring them. I'm getting an an iPhone 4 in July anyway but a move to vodafone will be in the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

O2 are changing call charges outside the bundle of minutes included in your iPhone Price Plans from 12th July 2010.
    This change in call charges constitutes a change to the terms of the contract between O2 and you, the customer. Therefore you are free to be removed from contract without penalty.
    The changes in rates are minimal but you might just want to get yourself out of contract.
    Act fast though because if you do not contact O2 requesting to be removed from this contract in advance of 12th July you will be assumed to be accepting of the change in terms.

All info available on O2.ie under 'Terms and Conditions'

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms+and+conditions/Customer+Notification

Your welcome :)

hi there, i have 2 lines on o2 release edge plan. under these changes calls to 11811 are increasing, for me .. rang o2 told me i could not avail of article 17. surely i can avail of this option as costs are increasing for me that i do not agree to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

ingen wrote: »
    hi there, i have 2 lines on o2 release edge plan. under these changes calls to 11811 are increasing, for me .. rang o2 told me i could not avail of article 17. surely i can avail of this option as costs are increasing for me that i do not agree to?

Is it only for Advance & Clear plans?

• Advertisement

O2 are changing call charges outside the bundle of minutes included in your iPhone Price Plans from 12th July 2010.
    This change in call charges constitutes a change to the terms of the contract between O2 and you, the customer. Therefore you are free to be removed from contract without penalty.
    The changes in rates are minimal but you might just want to get yourself out of contract.
    Act fast though because if you do not contact O2 requesting to be removed from this contract in advance of 12th July you will be assumed to be accepting of the change in terms.

All info available on O2.ie under 'Terms and Conditions'

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms+and+conditions/Customer+Notification

Your welcome :)

Many thanks for info just rang O2 cancelled contract while I spoke to them

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Just rang O2 and it works .... I had 16 months left!!

Thanks OP !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

So what exactly did you guys say when you called up ? Wanna get it straight before I do !

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

So what exactly do you say when you ring them?
    You want to break contract due to change in terms but remain with O2 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

t|nt|n wrote: »
    So what exactly did you guys say when you called up ? Wanna get it straight before I do !

All you have to say is: I was looking at the t&cs section of o2.ie and noticed O2 are changing the prices on my price plan so can you please take me out of
    contract as i do not agree with the change to the contract. Simple as..

It is literally a simple act of unchecking a box on your account for the person you are talking to.

t|nt|n wrote: »
    micks wrote: »

Well I just rang for info, but yeah just ring and say as per the notice on your site about changign terms and conditions, can you check for me if my contract is one fo the ones affected.

They will go off and come abck and say yes it is.

Then you say so I am allowed to terminate my contract as the terms have changed and they say yes.

Then you decide if thats what you want to do

All you have to say is: I was looking at the t&cs section of o2.ie and noticed O2 are changing the prices on my price plan so can you please take me out of
    contract as i do not agree with the change to the contract. Simple as..

It is literally a simple act of unchecking a box on your account for the person you are talking to.

i am on o2 release edge, and the prices quoted when i signed up have changed and got a lot more expensive.

they told me that i cannot get out of contract, is this correct? does the change in price of calls to 11811 allow me to exercise my right under article 17?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

ingen wrote: »
    i am on o2 release edge, and the prices quoted when i signed up have changed and got a lot more expensive.

they told me that i cannot get out of contract, is this correct? does the change in price of calls to 11811 allow me to exercise my right under article 17?

thanks

I am on O2 Release esge too. Interested to know if i can get out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Well I just rang for info, but yeah just ring and say as per the notice on your site about changign terms and conditions, can you check for me if my contract is one fo the ones affected.

They will go off and come abck and say yes it is.

Then you say so I am allowed to terminate my contract as the terms have changed and they say yes.

Then you decide if thats what you want to do

And did they make you leave O2 altogether or were you allowed stay on the network just not under contract anymore?

potsy11 wrote: »
    I am on O2 Release esge too. Interested to know if i can get out of contract.

i think we should , as costs of calls to 11811 got a lot more expensive! than the advertised rates that was on their site when we signed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am aware of this working in the UK but I thought it was different here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Nice !! All done and dusted :D

micks wrote: »

Just asked him was terms of contract changing on the 12 July 2010 and if so under terms of my contract I wish to cancel my contract right away he did so as I spoke to him

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dorothy Roxy

I just called O2 and was told that a note has been put on my account but i will need to call again on 13 July and confirm that i still want to withdraw.

dicknorris wrote: »
    Just asked him was terms of contract changing on the 12 July 2010 and if so under terms of my contract I wish to cancel my contract right away he did so as I spoke to him

And do you have to leave O2 altogether or can you stay with them but no longer on contract?

cookie1977 wrote: »
    And did they make you leave O2 altogether or were you allowed stay on the network just not under contract anymore?

I didn't go through wiht it, I just rang to make sure i was elligible and for a little bit of a row.

I was eligible and i got no row but I havent left yet! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

cookie1977 wrote: »

Networks cannot 'make' you leave. If you breach contract by not paying bills etc they can eventually cancel your account (this is after a lenghty collections procedure : suspensions letters collections calls and so on)If this happens the number is effectively lost and cannot be reactivated.
    Networks will never say to you 'you must take your number and leave our network'

I didn't go through wiht it, I just rang to make sure i was elligible and for a little bit of a row.

I was eligible and i got no row but I havent left yet! :cool:

Thanks but did they say that if you did go down this route you'd have to leave or did they imply you could stay with them but not on contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

just pause here..........what would be the disadvantages of removing myself from a contract? would i not be entitled to an upgrade, say?

anybody think of any others?

• Advertisement

Networks cannot 'make' you leave. If you breach contract by not paying bills etc they can eventually cancel your account (this is after a lenghty collections procedure : suspensions letters collections calls and so on)If this happens the number is effectively lost and cannot be reactivated.
    Networks will never say to you 'you must take your number and leave our network'

They may not be able to make you leave but they dont have to provide you with a service if you dont agree to T&C no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement